NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Interior LEDs

Having installed LEDs into my D1's interior dome lights to very good effect in my other build, I'd wanted to do the same thing in the LR3 mostly for the power savings associated with it while out camping with doors open/lights on with the vehicle isn't running. That said the truck reacted negatively to some cheap LEDs so I shelved the plan for awhile and then decided to give it a go with what I hope turns out to be a more reputable source with higher quality bulbs.

Enter the kit from Precision LED: Precision LED

I went with their interior LR3 kit in the 6000k Crystal White in an attempt to not have it be as blindingly bright as the ones in my D1 that the wife doesn't like since they are like a little sun in the truck. The package arrived awhile back and I'd forgotten about it for a bit with work and after Oman realized I wanted to focus on some power conservation steps and that this was worth digging up. The lights come well packaged, well marked:
2015-09-16 19.05.33.jpg
I didn't take a lot of pics during the install since basically its a simple process to work your way around the truck and remove the standard bulb and carefully install the appropriate LED, but this is a good shot of the difference in coloration between the LED front dome and the standard passenger area dome:
2015-09-19 14.51.31.jpg
Initial impression is very positive with regard to the quality of the bulbs and their color/brightness. Time will tell of course on durability and power consumption. At the price listed on the website I thought it was worth the convenience of getting the package vice shopping around to find all the individual components. I also appreciate the little trim removal tool kit that they sent with the kit, while just a couple of pieces of ABS or what have you it was a nice touch and I put them to use popping the fixtures out throughout the truck to change the bulbs to good effect.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Ray, 6000k is pretty high on the color spectrum (standard incandescent is 3000k. How blue are they in reality? Is the quality of light pleasing, or harsh?

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray, 6000k is pretty high on the color spectrum (standard incandescent is 3000k. How blue are they in reality? Is the quality of light pleasing, or harsh?

Very good question/comments; I went with the 6k vice their 8k in an effort to have them be white not too blue. This comparison from their website seems pretty close to my experience with the 6k bulbs:
PrecisionLED_6000K_vs_8000K_LED_comparison.jpg

Initial impression is positive but that is also based off them not really kicking out an overwhelming amount of light the way the dome retrofit panels do in my D1-those are harsh (but effective). These are white, and adequate-if that makes sense. I wouldn't call them pleasing though in the sense that when I hear that as it relates to light I think of warm lighting and this isn't that either. Time will tell, and the real judge will be when the wife gets in when its dark and passes judgment!

Ray_G

Explorer
Rhino Hitch

A quick trip back to the U.S. to the see the kiddos also facilitated my retrieval of a hitch setup for the LR3 that I'd been dying to put on. The Rhino Hitch is SA manufactured, akin to the Mitchell Bros unit from AUS, & provides for a much lower profile setup than the OE plow setups while retaining a good capacity, as well as allowing for access to the stock spare tire which is problematic with other aftermarket setups. I got mine via Unseenone here on the forum, my understanding is production will be such that these will be avail widely fairly soon-I'm sure he will chime in on details regarding that here or in the forum writ large.

Thoughts/pictures from my unpacking and install, bearing in mind that I'm pretty much a newb as it relates to towing and will likely use this mostly as a rear recovery point initially and then when the truck returns to CONUS it will haul a utility trailer with motorcycles and such in the near term. Longer term it may see a car trailer if/when the wife's series comes to fruition.

The item came well boxed & packaged, good enough that the TSA decided they needed to open it up as it left IAD inside my checked baggage. At least they put it away nicely, and in being tagged it gave me the opportunity for UAE secondary where the Emirati was rather unfazed by my suitcase full of rover parts and tools coming back. (*Nevermind the wife's high heel hidden in the background...we both use the kitchen table as our workbench it would seem and I wasn't paying attention to what she photobombed me with inadvertently).
2015-10-02 14.46.54.jpg
Install was a breeze and very straightforward, by that I mean it was one of those times you go planning on fiddling with the truck for a bit and all the sudden you are done-as if the Rover was built to some standard tolerance or something. The instructions were simple but clear. I used the parts diagram in concert with the sequence of install but really had no issues with how it all was supposed to come together and it very quickly snugged up to the truck. I spent more time trimming the little cover thing than I did installing the hitch. If it wasn't for misplacing a 19mm socket and having to go back up to the Apt to scavenge it would have been even quicker. A few shots of it installed
2015-10-02 15.59.10.jpg2015-10-02 15.59.17.jpg
2015-10-02 15.59.22.jpg2015-10-02 15.59.33.jpg
It came with a paper template for cutting the plastic piece that normally covers back there, I decided to give that a shot and found it to be perfect-obviously at some point with trailer wiring it would have to come off or another hole would have to be cut but for the interim I like the way it blends it together.
2015-10-03 11.33.03.jpg
All told it is hard to understate how nice a piece of equipment this is. While the OE setup is effective its utter destruction of ground clearance and departure angle makes it somewhat less than optimal for use offroad. I had thought that this setup would turn into a shin banging hazard but I haven't found that to be the case, it does tend to shunt you to one side or the other of the tailgate but that's normal anyway so this isn't obtrusive. Since I'm not going to use it as intended out here for a bit it is worth adding that a friend back in the US, i.e. John the proprietor of Twin Mountain, got this the same time I did and has been using it extensively on his LR3 to extremely good effect in a wide range of applications (literally going so far as to hook up a farm implement to it just for the irony of using a modern rover to do what their predecessors have done). He does more towing than I ever will and has been rather impressed by the unit too-as have others in the beta testing to my understanding, again across a wide range of application. Initial impression is if you're looking for a high quality low profile hitch setup that can stay on the truck regardless of how you are using it, this is a great option.

dsm02c

Adventurer
What are the stated loads? Also, after mounting do you think there is room between the inner steel bumper and hitch to accommodate steel rear bumpers?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Looking at the first pic, the label says 220lbs/100kg of downward force of hitch weight. That is pretty low.

Mitchel Bros website says 350kg of towball download, which is 770 lbs, for their Hi-Rise unit.

While the Mitchel Bros Hi-Rise is expensive, the Rhino specs are too low.

unseenone

Explorer
It's tested and rated to Class IV, 8000lb or 10,000 with WDS. The label does a poor job of explaining it. The diagram indicates a plate and ball, which is Class III but will not be sold in the US.

You can safely haul anything the vehicle is rated for with confidence.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Thanks! That will work. Now sourcing and cost?

Good timing as I had just contacted Mitchell Bros yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3