Need a new pocket camera

4runnerteq

Explorer
Going on vacation the first week of October in the Smokys. My little Canon Power Shot gave up on me. Will not take pics. Nothin shows on the screen . Can view pics on the card and it clicks when push the button nut no pic. I loved this little camera. Very handy to just carry anywhere. Need a replacement. Advise please. Im not a photogropher by any means so just want a nice simple point & shoot.

Treenail

Adventurer
I had a couple of Canon PS's and liked them a lot.

Now I have a Nikon S8200. It is pocket size because the lens retracts flush with the body.

the selling point for me~~~15x zoom through the lens!!! And micro-macro so you can shoot large and small.

Costco sells them at a good price. The battery recharges through the USB jumper that you use to download the pics. Super simple to operate.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26288/coolpix-S8200.html

I think that there is a newer model out now too.

Tom

tacolex

Observer
c99ac17a-ea20-e451.jpg

I picked up a Nikon aw100 for the wife it's totally water proof and rugged perfect for expeditions. From pool pic ;)

Last edited:

Durango

Adventurer
I'm no camera expert but I'm on my second Panasonix Lumix. (First one got dropped on to a Dominican Republic sidewalk when my fumble fingered contractor missed my hand off- at least that is my story!) I really like them- great photos with point-and-shoot mode, 25 mm wide angle Zeiss lens and 16x zoom, image stabilization and more custom features than I will ever use. Plus it easily fits in my pocket or a discreet holster not much bigger than a cell phone on my belt.

Steve

PS Plus it has a huge viewfinder screen to show curious natives the photos you have shot of them- instant friends!

4runnerteq

Explorer
I like the idea of waterproof even though I never really thought I had a need for it. Sounds good for not having to be as careful with it too.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of waterproof even though I never really thought I had a need for it. Sounds good for not having to be as careful with it too.
Waterproof and "dust proof". I like to be able to rinse it off after a good dust storm. I was taking pictures of a Hazmat exercise. You should have seen the photographers scramble to save their expensive cameras when the Blackhawk arrived. Dust and gravel went everywhere! I just went to the sink after and washed mine off. No moving parts outside to get damaged. Shirt pocket sized and that neck strap is a good thing. Sure I look like a tourist, but I have it ready when I need it too :)

DSCN0548.JPG

Good low light performance:
DSCN0665.JPG
DSCN0647.JPG

Easy panorama:
DSCN0585.JPG

I haven't use the HD video or GPS much, but it is nice to have them too.

Nikon AW100 pretty easy to find them under $300

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
How about something a little more reasonable in the $250-$350 price range? I was thinking of the Sony Rx20 or is there something that is comparable?

Durability is helpful and this sounds awful but I always purchase the insurance and this allows me to get a camera every two years at a lower cost unless the camera actually makes it those two years, which is rare but happens..

Important features for me:

- portability hence being small
- extremely high still photo quality, low light and high light abilities
- better wide angle is most important to me, rather than zoom capabilities
- some levels of durability...
- Price under $400 at most...

ssssnake529

Explorer
Canon S100? Lumix LX5?

http://larsonweb.com/blog/?p=205

How about something a little more reasonable in the $250-$350 price range? I was thinking of the Sony Rx20 or is there something that is comparable?

Durability is helpful and this sounds awful but I always purchase the insurance and this allows me to get a camera every two years at a lower cost unless the camera actually makes it those two years, which is rare but happens..

Important features for me:

- portability hence being small
- extremely high still photo quality, low light and high light abilities
- better wide angle is most important to me, rather than zoom capabilities
- some levels of durability...
- Price under $400 at most...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I just went and got the Sony HX-20V. I was able to get them down to $305.00 at Bestbuy using an Amazon match. As I use this for moto and various other projects I got the 3 year warranty plan for an additional $80 and for a $34 bundle I got an additional battery, 16gb class 30 SDHC card, and a Lowe Pro case less than the cost of the battery alone at $39, and I was able to substitute the bundle aftermarket battery for a genuine sony. All in all about $450 with tax, so pretty expensive but I think it should work and hopefully hold up well for the upcoming years.

I hope the Bestbuy warranty is good. The Staples one was excellent and no questions asked. I dropped it in a river once and replaced no questions asked.

The only one that looks really comparable is the LX-5 Lumix but I wanted the GPS function just to see exactly where I was when I took the pic. Not sure if its that important but I thought it would be neat to try out especially with all of the desert moto trips we do. I keep the camera in the case on my belt for quick draw. Only thing is sand and dust will likely beat it up I think but we'll see how it holds up.

I didn't want to get any of the tough cameras quite yet mostly because I do want that stellar photo quality, or as best is possible from a point and shoot... But I'll say even my little Canon SX120 and similar have all taken pretty stellar photos for cheapish point and shoots...

I'm going to try the HX20V tonight and I'll post some pics...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I also always wanted a G12. You can get them for about $380 on WalMart.com right now (which is a hell of a deal) but in the end sprung for this one and I think/hope I made the right decision of this camera in favor of the G12 or comparable in this high $300-400 range... Size was a big factor of course, the ability to keep it in your pocket during a wedding, etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk