Need the solar/power pros to weigh in

TantoTrailers

This battery is the same dimensions as the Renogy and it gets better reviews, anyone ever work with this brand or hear anything about them?

I will go Lithium on my next build I just want something simple to learn with for this rig, I'm ready to just be done with it!

Or this battery: https://www.amazon.com/Weize-100AH-...=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-1

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This battery is the same dimensions as the Renogy and it gets better reviews, anyone ever work with this brand or hear anything about them?

I will go Lithium on my next build I just want something simple to learn with for this rig, I'm ready to just be done with it!

Or this battery: https://www.amazon.com/Weize-100AH-Cycle-Battery-Solar/dp/B07SW353M8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=agm+100ah+deep+cycle&qid=1572443139&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-1
I don't have first hand experience with Weize or Windynation brand batteries but my guess is they're probably made under a contract and it's likely East Penn/Deka or Johnson Controls. I wouldn't pay a premium anyway.

Last edited:

TantoTrailers

Orr....I could spend a bit more and get 25% more capacity with a 125Ah battery that is the same dimensions...thoughts?

These seem to be rated quite well on everything I have searched ("Best AGM batteries"...)

DaveInDenver

I think the ones you're linking are all gel and not AGM. Both are non-spill, which is the main legal criteria due to handling and shipping. The other distinctions between gel and AGM get blurred by the marketing department.

The tell is that they give a current limit. One of the limitations of gel batteries is an intolerance of high currents, so don't try to fast charge or jump start and winch with them. If the battery really is gel you need to adhere to that limit and lower is better otherwise you can ruin it.

AGM and flooded generally don't need to be current limited (at least within reason) charging or discharging.

Last edited:

TantoTrailers

I believe the ones I linked all state they are AGM but I may be mistaken in the details. I think I will go with the Vmaxtanks 125Ah battery since it is the same dimensions as my existing battery. Unfortunately I cant get it from anywhere before this weekend so I will be struggling with my 10Ah clunker!

dreadlocks

You checked out your local supplies? Buying big lead batteries on the internet is not a great idea.. your paying a ton in shipping, your not getting a core deposit, and you wont be able to warranty it if it costs more to ship it back than you bought it for.

DaveInDenver

I believe the ones I linked all state they are AGM but I may be mistaken in the details. I think I will go with the Vmaxtanks 125Ah battery since it is the same dimensions as my existing battery. Unfortunately I cant get it from anywhere before this weekend so I will be struggling with my 10Ah clunker!
Mistaken, perhaps. AGM has a lot of marketing value.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. But don't rule out malice."

TantoTrailers

You checked out your local supplies? Buying big lead batteries on the internet is not a great idea.. your paying a ton in shipping, your not getting a core deposit, and you wont be able to warranty it if it costs more to ship it back than you bought it for.

Batteries + Bulbs is about all I have locally. Auto parts stores dont carry too many options. I found the Vmaxtanks for $270 shipped but like you said I am SOL on warranty/service but with the new knowledge I intend on taking the best care of this battery to get the most life out of it assuming I dont get a lemon or faulty one.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have seen several lead acid batteries with cracked cases during shipping. So check it thoroughly upon receiving. Sometimes marine or RV dealers are distributors for battery companies. Might be worth a look. They don't always advertise.

shade

Auto parts stores may not have many options on the shelf, but they still list them on their sites and will order one for you. With no shipping costs and (possibly) easy exchange for a warranty claim, it can be a good way to go.

dreadlocks

Batteries+ branded battery going to be just as spectacular as an amazon seller with a bunch of x's in the name for effect..

TantoTrailers

Well, it looks like this battery is in stock locally - 105Ah

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli31dtmagmdc

But is it better than the Vmax?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The fact that it says dual purpose gives me pause, as that usually just means starter battery... Though AGMs can often perform both functions better than a typical flooded.

dreadlocks

lets see, Duracel.. a company thats been arround since 1920.. or vMax that looks like a big MultiLevel Marketing scheme.. do they throw in some free essential oils with purchase? Proabibly need some crystals too so you can align the shakra of the batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3