New 1988 FJ-62 Owner

Bigthom

Hello all,

Just picked up a 1988 FJ62 in Gun Metal Grey with 160,000 miles. Replaced radiator, all hoses and belts, mounted a winch bumper and ordered new steel wheels to fix a problem with brake caliper rubbing. Contracted a local welder to fabricate a rear bumper.

Looking for advice on the adjusting of the kick down cable? Certainly has some trouble with deciding when to shift. I understand they are slow, but I feel this is not right.

Look forward to any help provided.

jh504

Explorer
Hey congrats! I just purchased an 88 fj62 in gun metal grey as well. Lets see some pictures

Welcome to ExPo.

pismo62

Adventurer
Congrats on the cruiser.

Are you looking for the kickdown cable or how to adjust it? It's right next to the EFI manifold. As far as adjustment, on mine I started tightening it up and then testing it out until it felt right. Mine is fairly tightened, but I run 33' tires with the original gears.

Hope that helps. Guy

Bigthom

IMG_0226.jpg

jh504

Explorer
Great looking Cruiser! I love it.

Congrats on the cruiser.

Are you looking for the kickdown cable or how to adjust it? It's right next to the EFI manifold. As far as adjustment, on mine I started tightening it up and then testing it out until it felt right. Mine is fairly tightened, but I run 33' tires with the original gears.

Hope that helps. Guy

33' are some big tires! Thats taller than my house! :victory:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
As you'll likely find on 'Mud, I highly suggest getting the Factory Service Manual for your FJ62. They're not cheap, but they are far more complete and informative than any of the aftermarket offerings. Enough so that I didn't even consider anything else when I bought my FJ60.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I just so happen to have an FJ62 factory service manual. PM me if interested :)

fj40_nut

ditto on the "mine is fairly tight". I've got an 88 and an 89 FJ62 and each one of them get adjusted, however each time I do it, it takes me 3-4 attempts on each one to get it right. The FSM can get you started with the range, but you will likely want to fine tune it.

Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333