New Defender Concept

Meh...it's a new car.

I have no interest in buying a Rover product that doesn't have a 5 on 6.5" wheel stud pattern anyway.

Face it kids...they've moved their target market.

Want a real Landie....go find the bits and build it the way you want it.

KAA
80"
92.9"
100"
109"

Wow, and while we get fed this line of bull from Land Rover, I get a call from Chrysler's Jeep Feedback Department today to very politely spend a few minutes on the phone with me to ask why we chose a Jeep, what did we do (lifestyle wise) that influenced our purchase decision!

Awesome, isn't it? They do the same thing on feedback for service appointments. It sounds like they realize that they have a cash cow and want to make sure it doesn't share the same fate with International's Light Truck division. At the least, Jeep will never go away from the collective conscious within my lifetime. Jeep is about the only thing alive out there that represents tradition (though it is in danger of losing it with their space-ship features being added on, unless they can make their pork-chop Jeep version available and give us bare-bones Jeeps to run with).

Face it kids...they've moved their target market.

Want a real Landie....go find the bits and build it the way you want it.

Better yet, go into business for yourself to build kit Land Rovers, just like the AEV Jeeps. You'd probably make some good money on it if you know what you're doing.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have one of these in the garage, I wonder if I can fit it to the DC100.

ptoa.jpg

Snagger

Explorer
90% of people in Land Rovers are worried about their bluetoof egos and being able to have their starbucks within reach, **** em.
True, but that's mainly Freelander, Discovery and RR drivers. Most of them buy the vehicles for towing or because their prestigious, but for no other reason. Defender owners are different - they either buy them because they need the specific characteristics and abilities of the vehicle or because they simply love them. Defenders aren't bought because of prestige or fashion, and their owners have more interest in the vehicles as a consequence...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
One of my favorite pictures of accessories is one of an old 109 with a Power Take Off (PTO) blender mounted to the front bumper! Not sure the DC100 would be able to do that either!
;)
D

JamesDowning

Explorer
This photo was interesting.

dc100group04.jpg

http://imageshack.us/f/39/dc100group04.jpg/

I had the impression that the DC100 was tiny, but I think it's because the features have been bolded so much.

I think I understand where LR is coming from though. If they can create a single vehicle chassis that has cross interest among different categories, something like this could indeed work out. Take the DC100 concept, lift it, add a brush guard or some lower bumper replacement, de-feature the interior, and change out those horrendous wheels/tires, and you could sell it as an off-road model. Something like this could be a very pleasing business model. You tool up one set of fenders for all of the models, one set of interchangeable drivetrain components, windshield, etc etc.

It is funny though, how negative the feedback is from this group, and we haven't heard anything about it's drive components. We're still basing everything off of the concept exterior and interior alone (unless I missed something). I imagine this vehicle won't be accepted by historic defender owners unless it has a solid front axle as an option.

Red90

Adventurer
I imagine this vehicle won't be accepted by historic defender owners unless it has a solid front axle as an option.

You can see that it has four wheel independent suspension. Most probably it is built on an LR3 for this mockup.

It DOES need solid axles and multi-link suspension on both ends to be what it needs to be.

The goal is simple. Build a world beating utility vehicle. It needs to be better off road than any other stock vehicle. It needs to be "acceptable" on road for the masses. It needs to be hard to break for the average person. It needs to customizable to be modified into a serious off road vehicle. They should have factory options to do that. It needs to be modular to allow different setups.

Jeep has done it with the JK and they sell a ton of them. Land Rover needs to follow that lead and do it better at the same price point. If Land Rover wanted to do it, they could and make a huge amount of money in the process.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I'm in agreement on the solid rear axle, especially if they are going to have a 'utility' trim. I'm not totally convinced on solid front axles yet, but it would be interesting for them to offer an option (though doubtful).

Still keep in mind that it's a concept... everything will change.

It is however disappointing that it keeps showing up with street tires on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk