New Defender Concept

maxingout

Adventurer
It sounds like nobody is at the helm at Land Rover. It reminds me of the out of control gyrations of a an untended firehose attached to a fire hydrant. Makes me wonder about the upper level of management and whether they have a strategic plan. Very strange noises coming out of Land Rover.

rjl

Ryan
WoW! I am so confused.
According to this article that came out today- the DC100 body style has been so "overwhelmingly positive" that they are going to use that body style as an entry level design to come in under the Freelander!!
What? Overwhelmingly positive? Freelander?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262062/

That same link also implies the DC100 would not be the new Defender, but rather a "liesure" model placed below the Freelander and complimenting the "utility" Defender and the "luxury" Range Rover models.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have no problem with the DC100 being a vehicle they produce in it's own right. It's not for me and I have zero interest in it, but I'm sure it would be a really great seller.
What I do have a problem with is/was their intent to make it a replacement for the Defender.

I'm sure it has in fact had an overwhelming positive response. From the average car consumer. But, I bet, not from current Land Rover owners as a Defender replacement.

I'm guessing this change of direction is because of the overwhelming negative response from Defender users.

406to417

Explorer
IMO, when Land Rover can produce a chart like this for the DC100

defender_body_styles.jpg

it will then be worthy of the name "Defender".

This chart is amazing.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The current defender has a long history of being a work truck, farm truck, police and fire platform, expedition vehicle and the heritage of continuous military use. Do you picture the DC100 EVER doing 10% of this? I think not, not in a million years.
Offender, Pretender, call it what they wish, just not Defender...Because it's not....

maxingout

Adventurer
The DC 100 does not have soul. Land Rover ripped it out and dispatced it to some place other than here. I spent ten hours today driving in my 110. What an amazing vehicle. The DC 110 is not even remotely a Defender. You can call the Dc 110 a Defender if you want. But it will never be a real Expeditionary vehicle. Trips to the mall, yes. Trips to the beach, no problem. Real expeditionary vehicle - never in any universe that I will ever live in.

REDROVER

Explorer
The DC 100 does not have soul. Land Rover ripped it out and dispatced it to some place other than here. I spent ten hours today driving in my 110. What an amazing vehicle. The DC 110 is not even remotely a Defender. You can call the Dc 110 a Defender if you want. But it will never be a real Expeditionary vehicle. Trips to the mall, yes. Trips to the beach, no problem. Real expeditionary vehicle - never in any universe that I will ever live in.

is it on its way to show room already?

maxingout

Adventurer
is it on its way to show room already?

I have no idea whether the Pretender will ever be produced. Corporate decision makers are only interested in one thing, and that is maximizing profits. The H1 died a similar death. They are great off-road vehicles with an amazing pedigree. It is hard to imagine my life without my Defenders and my H1. When I drive one of these iconic vehicles, I experience automotive history in a way that Pretenders will always fail. I am driving the same vehicle and have the same feelings as tens of thousands of other people who have driven on the plains of the Serengetti outback and beyond in the remote corners of planet earth in a Defender - places the Pretender cannot and will not ever go in a self-contained expedition.

Snagger

Explorer
The DC100 is just a concept and not a finalised design. The vehicles were just motorised models of the concept. McGovern says they are still working on the design and that it could become more extreme yet. LR claim in excess of 80% approval rating of the design, so they must be asking everyone other than Defender owners/users what they think.

REDROVER

Explorer
The DC100 is just a concept and not a finalised design. The vehicles were just motorised models of the concept. McGovern says they are still working on the design and that it could become more extreme yet. LR claim in excess of 80% approval rating of the design, so they must be asking everyone other than Defender owners/users what they think.

what do you think if feminine guy or a girl who buys a brand new rover to drive on the streets going to say for that concept? i guarantee you they gonna say YESSSSS. and since land rover now is all about making money and bringing out junk, they gonna make it. it may not be 100% the same but 80% will be. its kinda good, then we can say we drive real land rovers.

just like the H1 vs the h2 or h3, now defender d90,d110 d130 vs dc100

if they wanted an update, they could of add more comfort or better stronger motor of few minor changes and still sell very well, but its obvious that they wanna kill the real land rover, that's why its 100% different

when h2 or h3 came out and started bringing the real HUMMER name down, we as an h1 owners felt kinda sad, because many ppl didn't know the difference they just say it was a hummer.
AND NOW land rover gang is going to join the club of FAKE and REAL haha its not that there is something wrong with h2 or h3, they just were not suppose tho have the hummer name. and now those dc100 or evoqe or whatever its called land rover??

Eric

REDROVER

Explorer
I have no idea whether the Pretender will ever be produced. Corporate decision makers are only interested in one thing, and that is maximizing profits. The H1 died a similar death. They are great off-road vehicles with an amazing pedigree. It is hard to imagine my life without my Defenders and my H1. When I drive one of these iconic vehicles, I experience automotive history in a way that Pretenders will always fail. I am driving the same vehicle and have the same feelings as tens of thousands of other people who have driven on the plains of the Serengetti outback and beyond in the remote corners of planet earth in a Defender - places the Pretender cannot and will not ever go in a self-contained expedition.

well thats good the less places those pretenders will be able to go out and play means the more untouched places for us to visit , :) good job done from land rover, keep making mall crawlers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3