New Defender Concept

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Haters gonna hate and it's certainly not the classic Defender...
It's not a Defender in any way, shape or form. The only way it is a Defender is in name only.

And as far as the "cute ute" comments -- that's EXACTLY what people called the LR3.
I never called the Discovery 3 that. I don't care for the the Discovery 3, and will never buy one, but it's an entirely natural evolution of the Discovery, even if I don't like the evolution.
"Cute ute" is more appropriate for the Freelander and Freelander 2.

And the DC100.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Nothing could make me happier for Land Rover as a marque as to see this actually happen, but I am just not sure where they are coming up with the data to make this type of assumption? So far, I may have read two comments that say ... "it isn't actually all that bad ... kinda cute ..."
But the VAST Majority of comments have been pretty negative, ... and yet Land Rover claims it will be their all time best seller?

http://www.insideline.com/land-rover/defender/future-defender-could-be-land-rovers-best-seller.html

D

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I'm curious about the new "Defender". I'd certainly go look at one and give it serious consideration. If Land Rover can produce a globally supported 4 door wagon with a fuel efficient engine for somewhere around USD40-45k I'd certainly consider it. It would also likely be a lot safer in an accident than my current 110, which is important to me as I have a family.

As long as you don't think of it as a "Defender", it might actually be a pretty nice vehicle!

- Andrew.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Nothing could make me happier for Land Rover as a marque as to see this actually happen, but I am just not sure where they are coming up with the data to make this type of assumption? So far, I may have read two comments that say ... "it isn't actually all that bad ... kinda cute ..."
But the VAST Majority of comments have been pretty negative, ... and yet Land Rover claims it will be their all time best seller?

http://www.insideline.com/land-rover/defender/future-defender-could-be-land-rovers-best-seller.html

D

Pretty easy extrapolation to make since crossover SUVs are the hottest vehicle in the hottest car market in the world......

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
To compare this concept Defender against the Hilux is just plain laughable. The two trucks are not even in the same level playing field.
D

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
To compare this concept Defender against the Hilux is just plain laughable. The two trucks are not even in the same level playing field.
D

Well, you're right about that. The "Defender" is a concept built on top of a Range Rover sport test mule. It's not a production vehicle, so it's not really appropriate to compare the Defender *concept* to a Hilux. It's entirely reasonable though for Land Rover to acknowledge the market leader and state that their goal is to provide competition for that model.

If the Hilux is selling 549,000 and Defender is selling 20,000 a year, there's reason to give Land Rover a chance to produce a vehicle to double or triple its sales volume with a model that isn't 20 years old. The Defender has had a longer production run than any of the Series vehicles. The article doesn't say that Land Rover expects to do more than make a small dent in Hilux sales, and that they hope to take sales from other manufacturers as well.

Remember that Toyota got its start in this market by looking at Land Rover's offerings and deciding they could do better. Land Rover now is profitable, well capitalized, and owned by Tata which certainly has the expertise to produce a simple and reliable global platform.

Land Rover may completely screw this up, but I'm willing to give them a chance at least. The existing Defenders already out there on the road aren't suddenly going to shrivel up and disappear, and the market has shown that there is only a very small percentage of people worldwide who still consider a new Defender to be a viable choice. Land Rover has to do something, and maybe it isn't a completely bad thing to be looking more at the future than the past.

justfred

Adventurer
I still don't think any of the concepts so far deserve to be called "Defender" - mainly because I'm looking for 4-door/LWB with removable/configurable roof. Maybe such a beast exists in a pre-production sketch somewhere?

That said, I think the vehicle does have potential - but the competition isn't the hilux (Tacoma, in the US?). It's Jeep Wrangler and Toyota FJ. These are "hose-out" utility vehicles, and there's not a lot of others like them. The Honda Element has some similarities, but in the wrong direction for my taste. Maybe the Nissan Xterra - but I don't know, since I can't fit in one without bumping my head.

I've been shopping for vehicles lately (mileage and maintenance in the Disco are getting me down - though the calculations keep telling me it's cheaper to keep her) and the majority of "sport utilities" including the Rovers are carpeted wood-trimmed (or plastic-wood-trimmed) leather-optional (but do you REALLY want the crappiest cloth seats in the world) "luxury" pieces of carp. US models continue to go upscale, and get larger and more bloated and more fake-cushy. Small utility pickups are gone. US models are all oversized. Euro vehicles are all deluxxxe. And asian models are for the most part cheap, and cheeeep feeling. Just because you're cynical doesn't mean the world doesn't suck.

Anyhow, I would love to see - and buy - a true utility SUV. Maybe the DC100 will be it - and if it drives a stake through the heart of the Series/Defenders, maybe it IS time for that?

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I still don't think any of the concepts so far deserve to be called "Defender" - mainly because I'm looking for 4-door/LWB with removable/configurable roof. Maybe such a beast exists in a pre-production sketch somewhere?

I do agree with this, but they've stated that they intend to produce SWB, LWB, wagon, and pickup truck versions. I think they're just starting with the body style that they think will look "sexiest" to the mass market.

I'm dreaming here, but if they can come up with a 5 door wagon with a manual transmission and diesel engine in Canada, I'd really consider one. I'm at the point now where my 110 needs major chassis and bulkhead work, so this actually is a real consideration for me as I'm looking at potentially sinking $10-15k into my current vehicle. I wonder what the potential introduction of a brand new "Defender" will do the the value of my 1986, assuming I've sunk a significant amount of time and money into it with a new galvanized chassis and bulkhead, new wiring loom, etc., etc.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I'm for sure not trying to insight or troll an argument of jeep verses land rover - nor has that ever been ... I have owned both vehicles now and they both have their merits, ... and I have tried to move beyond marques and look strictly to what meets my needs.
But when you look at the concept truck land rover has released in this "defender" ... and you go into the jeep area here or on the home page and look at the FC or other concept vehicles that Jeep is putting out ... it really makes you scratch your head as weather land rover truly wants to move into the strictly mass populous market ... which I guess is fine for LR ...
I am just still not diggin' on this defender ... and had hoped it would grow on me ... not happening.

D

zimm

Expedition Leader
land rover is officially out of the all terrain vehicle biz, and moving into just marketing the image for profit.

its a simple test for the viewer. just ask yourself this...

does the vehicle in question have a reasonable shot at being sold militarys, governments, or NGO's as a "got to" means of transportation in third world conditions.

jeep, yes. g wagon yes. landcruiser yes.

defender... or any other land rover, no.

it was good run, but its over, boys.

LtFuzz

Explorer
does the vehicle in question have a reasonable shot at being sold militarys, governments, or NGO's as a "got to" means of transportation in third world conditions.

So that's your criteria for purchasing a vehicle in Pittsburgh, PA?

Also, I don't think many militaries or governments are driving around third world conditions in Jeeps...

tacr2man

Adventurer
Not many in G wagons either Benzworld reckon on a build quantity of total 7000 per year , and less than 100 per year into US !!!

80+ % of Land rovers are export , and there are plenty of defenders in white etc going down the motorway on transporters , since TATA bought JLR big increases in production , so somebody is buying them ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal