New Defender Concept

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
I'm sorry, but I have to ask the question; when has owning a car company NOT been about the money. Do you guys expect LR to build a car for which there is no market and therefor no returns? It is what it is; the world has changed and the market has changed. There literally is no more place for the old Defender if Tata wants to make money; which any company with shareholders needs to do. I'm a diehard LR fan who had a 110 Tdi, 1980 RR and a 1995 D1, so I feel the love. I also feel no love for the new DC, but would not mind my wife driving one.
Just don't fault a business for trying to conduct business.

haven

Expedition Leader
Land Rover spokesmen have repeatedly said the Defender replacement will have considerable off-road capability. I expect that LR will dispatch the new model to some far-off places to show that it's a worthy successor to the legacy of the Defender. Maybe the Camel Trophy rally will be revived for a couple of years.

Regardless, die-hard Defender fans will complain because you'll need more than a bottle cap lifter and a length of rusty barb wire to effect repairs.

To Bunduguy's point, the Japanese compact pickup has taken over the roles that used to be filled by the Defender. Even in England, people buy a HiLux 4x4 rather than a Defender because it's cheaper, more fuel efficient, more reliable, and gets the job done. Land Rover may continue to make Defenders for military use, but only because the military gets an exemption from safety and emissions rules. The Defender has outlived its usefulness as a commercial product, and a new model has to take its place.

REDROVER

Explorer
Land Rover spokesmen have repeatedly said the Defender replacement will have considerable off-road capability. I expect that LR will dispatch the new model to some far-off places to show that it's a worthy successor to the legacy of the Defender. Maybe the Camel Trophy rally will be revived for a couple of years.

Regardless, die-hard Defender fans will complain because you'll need more than a bottle cap lifter and a length of rusty barb wire to effect repairs.

To Bunduguy's point, the Japanese compact pickup has taken over the roles that used to be filled by the Defender. Even in England, people buy a HiLux 4x4 rather than a Defender because it's cheaper, more fuel efficient, more reliable, and gets the job done. Land Rover may continue to make Defenders for military use, but only because the military gets an exemption from safety and emissions rules. The Defender has outlived its usefulness as a commercial product, and a new model has to take its place.

that's exactly the point , if ur rover brakes down in remote places being able to fix it with rusty barb wire. lol but then again OVERLAND travel is not the same for everyone. some ppl like to use 2wd cars witch is ok nothing wrong with that.

the fight is about keeping the icon, other than that they can make whatever they want .

camel trophy with what??? loll old land rover? no problem . lets do it.

Haven we are not die hard defender fans we are die hard land rover fans that see this beautiful 4X4 brand going down the drain ,

Eric

SilverJK12

I personally love the defender and would buy one of it was in the US. So I have had an H1 which I liked but the h2 h3 came out and ruined it. (not to mention the h1 broke down lol). Landrover WILL destroy the name with the DC100 just like Hummer and it's bye bye now. I now have a jeep Jk! At least Jeep keeps it true to the offroad arena. Hopefully a Europe diesel Jk in US soon since it is a US jeep !!!! Lol

ShearPin

Adventurer
I foresee even the military contracts drying up for the Defender. The trend seems to be larger and more heavily armored vehicles. There have been some impressive military hummer suspension packages developed lately to extend its useful life - all aimed at higher payload for uparmoring.

There is only so much that can be done with a defender sized vehicle. On a recent trip to England I was expecting to see Defenders serving electrical companies - 130 truck cabs with bucket backs - etc. For the most part this role appears to be now filled by the larger Ford transit type truck. Here in Canada it is rare to see anything smaller then a top kick type vehicle serving in utility roles. Like the military trucks - utility vehicles are getting more and more specialized.

Where does a utility vehicle adapted for civilian sales fit in in todays market. I love my tdi 110. Still smile every time I drive my series III 88' - the vehicle in which I've done the vast majority of my travels. We are the minority though. Let's be honest - as an automaker, trying to appeal to buyers like myself is a losing proposition. Defender owners ************** when the TD5 was released. There was bitching about the inclusion of traction control and the corresponding computers. Now the bitching over the latest design. To stop innovating and continue to build loud, slow, smelly, leaky, drafty, rough riding vehicles to attract buyers who might buy something new every 15 years (the amount of time I ran my series III before the birth of my daughter caused me to consider finding a used TDI 110 5 door) is a losing business plan. A little softening and rounding of the rough edges is inevitable.

I'll reserve judgement on the DC100 until I see the production vehicle. It may surprise us. I've always been impressed with what I've seen of the LR3's off road. Similar driving dynamics with higher load capacity and ground clearance would be a decent package. As for roadside repairs - computers in vehicles are here to stay in this sealed for life, lubed for life mechanical age.

Henry

Snagger

Explorer
The utility companies do use Defenders in the UK - a lot. They just tend to use them where they're needed; where a normal road van can go instead, it will. I see a lot of Eon (electrical) and Anglian Water Defenders around Bedford on most working days, and see a lot of Defenders being used by gardening companies and tree surgeons and even a handful of building companies. Vans are more common, though, because using a Defender in normal commercial or residential areas is un-necessarily expensive.

haven

Expedition Leader
I came across that April article from Autocar Magazine again. The editors speculate that Land Rover wants to have three categories of vehicle: Luxury, utility, and leisure. The DC100 concept vehicle is destined to become a sporty all-weather vehicle in the leisure category. Call it an LR2 replacement, a poor man's Evoque. It will compete with the Mini Countryman 4x4, and will be priced well below today's LR4.

The vehicle that will become the replacement for today's Defender is completely different, and has not been shown in public. Think Toyota 70 Series, made in India to keep the price down.

We should see both DC100 and new Defender in USA in a couple of years.

blue bomber

Adventurer
I came across that April article from Autocar Magazine again. The editors speculate that Land Rover wants to have three categories of vehicle: Luxury, utility, and leisure. The DC100 concept vehicle is destined to become a sporty all-weather vehicle in the leisure category. Call it an LR2 replacement, a poor man's Evoque. It will compete with the Mini Countryman 4x4, and will be priced well below today's LR4.

The vehicle that will become the replacement for today's Defender is completely different, and has not been shown in public. Think Toyota 70 Series, made in India to keep the price down.

I hope this could be true.Even though the defender would be assembled by slum dog millionaires.

Tapatalk sucks, sent from Matthew's IPhone

Snagger

Explorer

If that's true, then they have really changed their tune. The DC100 was intended to replace the Defender, DC standing for Defender Concept, with it being pushed as a very close resemblance to what was on the cards as the actual real replacement model, and that is an unequivocal fact. Fans of the marque have been veciforous in their heated disapproval of the DC100 in that role, including most of the motoring press.

Initial responses from LR stated their concept had an 80% approval rating, but that was widely questioned in the magazines, and while they didn't make accustaions of lies or fraud over that statistic, there were allusions to it and questions over who the target group were for the survey - not users of the Defender, for sure. Later interviews saw a gradual change in LR's stance, with comments about concept vehicles being there to test reactions and that the vehicle would be a little more conservative and closer to the current model. Bit by bit, they came to admit the new vehicle hasn't been seen as a good replacement for the Defender. Glad to see they finally admit it.

On the plus side, many people have held a similar view as I did that it'd make a good new stablemate to the existing line-up as an entry-level soft-roader for young people who have an outdoor lifestyle but no need for a heavy duty utility vehicle and no desire for a humdrum family or luxury 4wd. If they have recognised the correct market for the DC100, then good for LR; I'm sure it will be a huge success just like the Evoque, Freelander and Discovery all have been.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Bit by bit, they came to admit the new vehicle hasn't been seen as a good replacement for the Defender. Glad to see they finally admit it.
The most amazing thing is that it took them so long to admit it. Ok, the second most amazing. The first being that they ever thought it could be in the first place.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Not stirring the pot, and not crapping on Land Rover. Just reporting what two sources have reported and the knowledge that Land Rover North America is saying that they have no knowledge of these reports.
To reduce the Defender to an entry level truck ... leaves me saddened.

I didn't read into those reports that the Defender would be "reduced to an entry level truck". Note that the current Defender starts at £21,410, while the Freelander starts at £23,700 Range Rover Evoque starts at £28,695. In other words, the Defender is already Land Rover's "cheapest" or "entry-level" vehicle.

I love my truck, but in a 4 hour drive home through a huge downpour after a weekend of off-roading, my ear drums deafened from the door that won't close properly and the 200tdi in front to the point where it almost drowned out my two tired kids, and the turn signals inexplicably altering between working, not working, and buzzing the relay, the fuel and temp gauges randomly turning on and off in unison, all this while the fuse for those items was supposedly blown, the bulbs falling out of the tail lights until I finally super-glued one in, only to have it then stop working all together, the fog light needing rebuilding to serve as a backup tail light, the front marker lights coming on when I hit the brakes, all apparently from my wiring getting wet from the rain and maybe the occasional river crossing, I was dreaming about Land Rover coming in with a new solid axle diesel Defender in Canada that I could go over to the dealership to buy, and to drive around in comfort like a poseur.

I'd be utterly shocked though if I was successfully tempted to buy a DC100 with independent suspension as a replacement for my 110.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I didn't read into those reports that the Defender would be "reduced to an entry level truck". Note that the current Defender starts at £21,410, while the Freelander starts at £23,700 Range Rover Evoque starts at £28,695. In other words, the Defender is already Land Rover's "cheapest" or "entry-level" vehicle.

I love my truck, but in a 4 hour drive home through a huge downpour after a weekend of off-roading, my ear drums deafened from the door that won't close properly and the 200tdi in front to the point where it almost drowned out my two tired kids, and the turn signals inexplicably altering between working, not working, and buzzing the relay, the fuel and temp gauges randomly turning on and off in unison, all this while the fuse for those items was supposedly blown, the bulbs falling out of the tail lights until I finally super-glued one in, only to have it then stop working all together, the fog light needing rebuilding to serve as a backup tail light, the front marker lights coming on when I hit the brakes, all apparently from my wiring getting wet from the rain and maybe the occasional river crossing, I was dreaming about Land Rover coming in with a new solid axle diesel Defender in Canada that I could go over to the dealership to buy, and to drive around in comfort like a poseur.

I'd be utterly shocked though if I was successfully tempted to buy a DC100 with independent suspension as a replacement for my 110.

Andrew:
The title of the first article is Defender to return to US as Land Rover Entry Level Truck. (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it).

I got to tell you though, ... your description of your return trip had me rolling! That is the perfect example of my Defender experience! Too Funny!
D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3