New Defender Concept

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I'll say-
Crap - give us a current 110 on a big body chassis and motor with solid axles!
Give us a 90 on the same. Go right after the JK market.

Huh, wake up? Honey, ... why did you have to wake me ... I was dreamin' that Land Rover ...

discotdi

Adventurer
I'll say-
Crap - give us a current 110 on a big body chassis and motor with solid axles!
Give us a 90 on the same. Go right after the JK market.

Huh, wake up? Honey, ... why did you have to wake me ... I was dreamin' that Land Rover ...that the Defender wasn't better than my jeep. Yes a dream:)

ipgregory

Adventurer
Ah now we are getting to the crux of the issue it seems. Now the problem is becoming clear. "Quirks" and "Facts" Dendy? I don't see any quirks in your list and the only facts I can see are that you are considering the failings of old and poorly maintained vehicles as "Quirks" or the fault of the vehicle instead of the owner. The majority of these vehicles are in the 15-20yrs old range. Some even older, some much older. Yet you consider failing seals, blocked drain tubes and failed factory fitted pressure vessels such as a heater matrix a "Quirk" or a failing on the vehicles part? Land Rover is once again the victim of its own vehicles longevity and then having them fall into the hands of yet another somebody like you.

If your vehicle leaks, fix it. The seals are old and perished, replace them. The drain tubes are probably blocked, clean them. The window and seat switches or the lift ECU are probably worn, replace or repair them. The cooling and heating system is well past its sell by date, either accept a failure at some point or replace the parts which examples of MANY vehicles that have reached this respectable age have shown to be suspect after a certain point.

Your RRC had to be close to 20yrs old but you complain that the heater matrix blew? You suffered leaks in some of your vehicles but obviously made little attempt to find the cause and rectify them. You just label this stuff quirks and choose to ignore that the failing is on you, not the vehicle. Then you present them as facts in a discussion as to how LRs are so wonderfull???? You choose to quote a tongue in cheek write up from a guy who admits that he had chosen not to fix his own vehicle as an example of the failing of the VEHICLE???? Yet another case of “it's not in the service schedule so when it fails it's the Brands fault”.

My D90 doesn't leak water, the doors close properly, all the lights work correctly and it runs properly. Am I lucky or is it that I pay attention to the fact that my vehicle is 15yrs old and needs a little attention and consideration of the fact that the parts that are still operating well past the point they were designed to do and restore, repair or replace them as needed? ALL the parts, not just the ones nicely listed for me to check in the Service Schedule or contained in the Oil Pan. Same applies to my 14yr old D1 and did apply to my 16yr old D1 before it became a parts truck. I hazard a guess the same will apply to my 18yr old D90 when I get round to putting it back together and on the road. Same applied to my previous Land Rover vehicles prior to me coming to the US as well.

Why are we even having this conversation? Because there are SO MANY examples of these vehicles still running around in the hands of people like you. A positive point so easily overlooked or ignored. You obviously expect to jump into a 20yr old truck that's been abused by the lack of proper attention from any number of previous Dendy types and have it purr like a Honda and run perfectly the way it did when it left the factory. You wash it, wax it, put a roof rack, RTT and other pretty aftermarket parts, stickers and graphics on it with lots of pictures and a write up so your friends can see how cool you are, hitch up the super trailer and head off into the sunset to conquer the local camp grounds. Then when the tired old parts on the truck start to fail, you label them ‘quirks', and go buy another one and start all over again because you love these vehicles so much don't you. The image, the heritage, the picture in your mind's eye of you on the Serengeti plains with your trusty Land Rover beside you while you are camped and living it up in your RTT, closest to the barbeque pit and the showers. Eventually you run out of enthusiasm or whatever drives you and go buy a new vehicle of a different type. Since its new the parts are not falling off it and it does what it says in the brochure so it must be superior to those “Quirky” Land Rovers mustn't it? After all, that's a “Fact” isn't it? Land Rover must be quirky and un-reliable and the brand new example of brand X that you replaced them with is soooooo much better? But ohhh the image in your mind's eye is not the same is it? You have to come back and poke at those that obviously can accept this LR ownership thing and be happy about it. How can we be so blind to those quirks? How can we put up with driving such an inferior, old, tatty, unreliable vehicle and be happy? You must educate us, you MUST!!

The test will be time. Let's re-visit this conversation in 20yrs time shall we and discuss how you are getting on with your super Jeep? Maybe you can get the tires dirty before then so we can do a proper test?

I will concede the DII, P38 and early 20xx RRs are the exceptions to the rule and have issues. Consider however that these vehicles were primarily designed and released after the changeover to BMW ownership and the issues did not properly start to become fixed until the next change in ownership to Ford. Consider also that these are the vehicles where the numbers sold here in the US had climbed to a point that people might actually have stopped thinking they were Toyota's or similar, so the brand in general got a bad name here in the US for reliability based on these few models made over a relatively short period of time. Sucks to be successful and get bought out it seems. The engines in the earlier ones for our market were 50yr old designs and at the end of their life and produced primarily for this market only by then. Tooling, etc. was not updated, repaired as needed due to the imminent replacement and the issues were manifest into the vehicles produced. Its why I would never own one of them. The newer LRs are considered by many to be the most reliable vehicles LR have produced for a long time. Time will tell if that's the case as I doubt there will be very many 50yr old 20xx Range Rovers or LRx/Dxs running around. But we will see. Did Jeep ever make a bad vehicle? Was every model over the years a home run and the epitome of reliability and performance?

So I say again, enjoy your new Jeep. Have fun. But don't come over here and snidely and repeatedly insert your innuendos and comments on how bad LRs are and how wonderful your Jeep is by is by comparison here in the LR forum in the disguise of offering news and an opinion on a not as yet released vehicle that may or may not one day wear the badge. You may just get called on it.

Ian

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Ian: Grow up! (that seems to be the crux here)

Those on here that knew my trucks and some on here that still own my trucks will tell you there were some of the most well maintained and well built trucks STILL on the road today.

And here-in you made my point. The land rovers that we all love and enjoy are all pushing 20 plus years.
And because of that ... it comes at a price of ownership.
And MOST if not all of these quirks are COMMON knowledge if you own land rovers ... MANY of those quirks having been an issue even when the trucks were freakin' new. (I had a 96 Discovery that leaked from the sunroof and windscreen surround from the day it was new! Oh, that's right ... they made an entire shop manual on water leak fixes for the DI)

Don't sit behind your computer screen and pound your chest at me, cause those that REALLY know me, know that I am about as schooled on land rovers as one can be.

This entire post was about the DC100 and news reports, hence the title NEW DEFENDER CONCEPT.

YOU sir, are the one trying to make this personal. I won't buy into your child-like behavior again.

ipgregory

Adventurer
Yup, this is all about the DC100 that this thread is supposed to be about. Nobody is pulling in the rest of the brand vehicles and suggesting they are substandard in any way.... Wouldn't dream of it as that might be taken as brand bashing in a brand's own forum of course….

I don't miss: "in a 4 hour drive home through a huge downpour after a weekend of off-roading, my ear drums deafened from the door that won't close properly and the 200tdi in front to the point where it almost drowned out my two tired kids, and the turn signals inexplicably altering between working, not working, and buzzing the relay, the fuel and temp gauges randomly turning on and off in unison, all this while the fuse for those items was supposedly blown, the bulbs falling out of the tail lights until I finally super-glued one in, only to have it then stop working all together, the fog light needing rebuilding to serve as a backup tail light, the front marker lights coming on when I hit the brakes, all apparently from my wiring getting wet from the rain and maybe the occasional river crossing"

anyone that owns a Defender knows the AC is inadequate, and the heat is also not the best unless you retro fit a Kodiac (if you can find one now).
I am reminded of a friend on here who told me the story once of his brand new 94 NAS Defender 90 (in 1994) and when it rained his daughter counted the number of drips on the seat next to her to know when they were close to school

Land Rover ownership carries with it the constant worry of "what's that noise?", "my front windows won't work, oh, wait, ... now they do", "my sun roof is leaking", "oh, don't mind that standing water in my passenger floor board", "oh, that is just my water pump leaking

Water leaked in my passenger side from the heater box ... on 4 of my trucks ... I can't remember which. And in my Classic, the heater box exploded driving 70 down the interstate - sounded like a canon and temporarily deafened me. And quickly filled the cabin with piping hot steam, so I couldn't see where I was going. Thank GOD I wasn't killed, as I was driving deaf and blind!

If I could't have found a Classic or Disco with Crank windows ... I'd been all over it. Would have converted every one of them to crank windows had it been an option!
We all know that if you are a long time land rover owner (I've owned 14 ... or more) that there are some things you come to know as normal ... even if to the standard vehicle owner ... it is far from normal. You have to love land rovers along with their quirks. And if you have owned as many as you state, you know those quirks are all different depending the truck (Disco I, Disco II, Defender 90/110, and Range Rover Classics, P38's) We even get where we look for those things, and expect them to be broken and often surprised if the item is actually working ... like cruise control on a RR Classic for example...

This one of course is espeacialialy true:

The only negative comments I have made are to point to the reported links I put up (which are merely news feeds).

I really wish you would…

I'll go back to the jeep forum now.

Glad you don't maintain mine, they might leak or something..

Those on here that knew my trucks and some on here that still own my trucks will tell you there were some of the most well maintained and well built trucks STILL on the road today.

Pounding my chest? You wish. Just want you to understand the world you apparently perceive and the perception of at least some of those around you are so obviously not in sync.
Yes it's obvious your amazing depth of knowledge on these vehicles. After 14 of them you still can't stop them leaking…

Don't sit behind your computer screen and pound your chest at me, cause those that REALLY know me, know that I am about as schooled on land rovers as one can be.

Your love of the brand just shines through like a beacon!

Sigh, I guess I should know better. Don't.. Feed.. The.. Troll..

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Dude: If your Land Rover isn't leaking something, ... it may not be a land rover ... you better check.

I'm with Grimbo regarding your post ... wow ... just wow.

Now, let's try to steer this back to the topic ... DC100.
The reports seem to be conflicting.

ipgregory

Adventurer
I can't remember where I saw the articles posted. Maybe another forum. They were also from LR execs. When I get back in front of a computer instead of an iPad I will see if I can find them and post them up here.

Now that I am home and back on a computer, in reading back up through the thread I can see that the links I was referring to are earlier in this thread.

The idea was quickly dismissed and maybe that's true, maybe it's not. The only given at this point however is that we don't know for sure. Heck we don't know the DC100 will ever see the light of day as a production model. The Defender may become something else entirely.

The DC100 as a model in its own right at the right price I quite like the idea of for Land Rover. I think it will sell like hot cakes to a certain crowd and making money like that allows the brand the luxury maybe to continue with a more basic utilitarian model such as the Defender that they may not make quite the same profit from. If LR goes under because the average man in the street (which is not us of course) doesn't want their products then we lose more than just the Defender, we lose the lot. Things like the Evoque and the possible future DC100 are a necessary evil in some ways maybe. Not for us to buy but to help keep the company alive and making money.

Edit - Changing the subject now are we Dendy? Maybe realized just how far off topic you had gotten and how negative your comments could be construed to be?

As Long as you stop bashing LR in general as you started to do in the last few of your posts then I have no issue. The subject matter is the DC100. Let's try and keep it that way shall we?

I never said my truck didn't leak something OUT, it's a 15yr old vehicle after all. There are minor seals and so on I haven't replaced and leaks in areas that I don't consider serious enough to require fixing yet. I don't consider them quirks or faults though, I consider them a lack of maintenance on my part. I am to blame, not the vehicle. Its stuff leaking IN we were discussing. Not having any of that.

Last edited:

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I come to this thread for information and updates on the DC100, not for a flame war. I also don't want to have my statements misquoted and then drawn into someone's argument against another.

discotdi

Adventurer
I consider everything in this thread to be true, because I read it on the Internet.:)

We will see what happens in two or three years.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey, Andrew: I apologize.
I certainly didn't mean any harm. Heck, my Land Rover friends and I here still wheel together, camp together and dog each other trucks in fun.
I dogged land rovers when I owned them. There are things about Land Rovers that are just "given's" and when you own them ... you accept them. As I did. For most of us, we have a relationship with our Rover (ironically) like we do with our dogs. Herein- lay my problem. This was a personal decision as I hit 49 (going on 50 in Dec.) to resolve to an "easy" button for my life and lifestyle. I prefer to no longer wrench on a truck. It isn't a good thing or a bad thing ... just a thing.
My poking fun at a rover is simply that ... in fun. No offense or anything was or is ever intended. Most folks that own rovers know and agree with these quirks and accept the same in fun. Some folks I guess are more sensitive. If I hurt your feelings or offended anyone ... I apologize.

Now, let's get back to the DC100 ... or maybe ... let's not.

Thanks
Dendy

ipgregory

Adventurer
Dogging on LRs is one thing, this is the LR forum, we all do it to some degree or another and there is nothing wrong with that. We drive them so we moan about them. No big deal.

The problem is that there are constantly non-LR owning members coming over here from other forums to say how bad LRs are and how wonderful brand x is that they are driving by comparison. As I said above, it gets old, really old. Myself and others get fed up with it. You say LR owners go over to the other threads and do the same? If they do, deal with them over there, they are no more right than you are over here. I don't do it so I see no reason to accept that behavior here.

When you start diverting your comments in a thread about a possible upcoming model to generally bashing many of the other models in the brand whilst at the same time singing the praises of your new brand x you are acting no different to one of them. Ex-Rover owner or not. When you point out you sold your LRs to purchase the other brand because it was better, you are bashing plain and simple.

You can say you were just posting new links and commenting on the DC100 as much as you want. If that were the case I wouldn't have had an issue. If you go back through the thread you will note you were posting here for a while and made many comments on the DC100 with not an eyebrow turned. It wasn't until you decided to take a stab at other models whilst at the same time singing the praises of your Jeep that I and others got a little curious as to where your comments were going.

Andrew's post was, well it was a little dishonest let's say? He posted up a long paragraph about the issues of owning a Defender as he perceived them. You jumped on it as a chance to get a dig in I presume as there is really no other way to take your post I can see. Then later we find out that the issues Andrew described were actually related to his lack of maintenance and repair of his vehicle and nothing to do with the truck's failings at all.

Anyway let's get/keep this back on topic.

Last edited:

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Andrew's post was, well it was a little dishonest let's say? He posted up a long paragraph about the issues of owning a Defender as he perceived them. You jumped on it as a chance to get a dig in I presume as there is really no other way to take your post I can see. Then later we find out that the issues Andrew described were actually related to his lack of maintenance and repair of his vehicle and nothing to do with the truck's failings at all.

I've tried asking you politely to keep me out of your flame war. You've never met me, and you really don't have a clue about me. I don't appreciate your comments about me, my maintenance programme, or my vehicle. I'm also sick of having you come on here and post attacks again and again that have nothing to do with what is in my opinion the point of the thread.

Is that clear enough for you? Back off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater