New Defender Concept

ipgregory

Adventurer
Suck it up, you were in the wrong with posting your glorified Defender ownership sucks and here are some 'examples' of how bad it is, etc. post. That got used (not by me) to show how bad the vehicles supposedly were. In your defense you came clean later to point out that your post was misdirecting because these where not 'faults' of your 28yr old vehicle but repairs you had yet to carry out. If you don't want to get questioned on it, maybe you should have considered that before posting it? It's here so it's available to comment on. Deal with it.

Dishonest however was a bad choice of words on my part and for that I apologize. This is not personal but that could be construed to be a personal attack which it wasn't intended to be. 'Misguided' shall we say?

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
Guys guys ... There are MANY brands of decaffinated coffee that are just as tasty as the real thing. :coffeedrink:

All I know is the DC100 was/is an awful awful design that has no right to the name Defender ... Amarite?:wings:

ipgregory

Adventurer
Guys the DC100 was/is an awful awful design that has no right to the name Defender

There appears to be fairly universal agreement on that here.

I am interested though in the idea that the DC100 may be a standalone vehicle. Hypothetically say, if they were to release it as a new model and not replace the Defender with it, what are peoples thoughts on it as a vehicle in its own right?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
It looks like every other Hamster Home Boy driven SUV wannabe. (and I don't apologize for that remark ... and yes that was a stone thrown at LR).

Land Rovers and Jeep were about the only two auto manufacturers that still had a distinct style cue to their earliest days. There was no mistaking if you are behind or in front of a Jeep or Land Rover.

With the Evoque (cue 2012 ford explorer) and DC100, they leave the world of in house design and join the ranks of the status quo.

The DC100 looks like a Honda Element and a Kia Soul were involved in a passionate evening together!

That said, yes, since most folks go in for a non-descript vehicle design these days ... it pretty much could stand alone as a vehicle design. Kia sells the crap out of those ... um trucks ... cars?
They have a warranty with them second to none. However, I doubt that Land Rover's Price on the DC will compete in that Demographic.

ipgregory

Adventurer
Maybe you're right, it’s true that most vehicles today are starting to merge into that uni-brand kind of look. I think it’s a fun looking truck though for the younger crowd and those that are looking for something maybe a little different. I can certainly envisage it selling in numbers if they release it.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Land Rover's [tentative] decision to move the Defender into the mass-market via the DC110 isn't nearly as controversial or shocking as some of you are making it out to be.

Look at the classic car culture in the United States. It's almost exclusively 40-60 year old men with a very specific, stubborn taste in vehicles that left the assembly line a long time ago. Some of that enthusiasm gets passed on to younger generations, but those tastes are rarely in line with the mainstream.

But hell, what's the big deal? You can build an entire 1960s Ford Mustang using the JC Whitney catalog. The original Defenders aren't going anywhere.

But getting angry that Land Rover isn't going to build a new Defender that looks exactly like a 1990s Defender is, frankly, ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as Ford enthusiasts -- when Ford introduced the first Mustang concepts -- expressing vigorous disappointment that the car didn't look exactly as it did in 1966.

We'll get a completely new Defender that will probably have a few of its styling cues based on the original model. And that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
I think if they could beef up the DC-100 AWAY from the Evoque look and towards a vehicle that can be offered like a cut down L4 that is capable of tricking out for real expeditions - modular and tough ... then they could challenge allot of vehicles including Jeeps, Toyotas FJs and Kias. If you could do that and upgrade that to the heritage of the Defender then it may work but the Kia sportage look just makes me want to puke ... I would not drive a kidde car one in Pakistan ... thats Landcruiser, Patrol and Hilux country actually! LR needs to get back into that game with an automatic thats seen as bult tough from the ground up.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I did like the rendition of the possible Defender that took some style cues from the old Ford Bronco.
That was a meaty looking truck.

The DC100 in its present look reminds me of what I thought of the first time I saw a PT Cruiser or a chevy HR, or any of those other retro wannabes that totally missed the mark.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
The DC100 will come out, it will be priced low, and it won't be the replacement Defender.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It is nice to have news articles posted for all to see. However, Dendy and other non LR types tend to just post negative or perceived negative stuff.
?? I've been driving pretty much nothing but Land Rovers since '75 so I could probably be called a "LR type", but I really haven't found much positive about the DC100. Other than what I mentioned early on, it has recessed door handles. But I'm sure even that is a styling decision.

discotdi

Adventurer
?? I've been driving pretty much nothing but Land Rovers since '75 so I could probably be called a "LR type", but I really haven't found much positive about the DC100. Other than what I mentioned early on, it has recessed door handles. But I'm sure even that is a styling decision.

Wasn't talking about you then was I? According to the latest LRO magazine the new Defender will be as tough and capable as the current model. Also no mention of DC100 as a base for the Defender. Also will probably not arrive unil 2017 not 2015. So we should all probably just drop this until around 2016. Heck by then it might be able to fly!

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Regardless of what they call it, I think a less expensive, smaller Land Rover based on the (now amortized) LR3/LR4 engineering could sell well. Something to aim at the SWB Wrangler, but nicer to drive and live with even if $5000 more or so.

I admit I'm new, but I'm not really understanding the hate on the styling. Rovers have always been Form After Function (well, untill the Freelander/LR2), and kind of awkward looking because of it. Most of us actually like that quality. I know they have attempted "better" styling lately, but IMHO Land Rover still doesn't get it right, and that's why I think they look good.

Edit: after reading back a few more pages it looks like it's not really the looks of the DC100, it's the name Defender that most seem to disagree with. I, personally, don't really car what the name is as long as it performs my intended function. If it can't do that, then I have no problem looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Edit: after reading back a few more pages it looks like it's not really the looks of the DC100, it's the name Defender that most seem to disagree with.
Only because the stated intent was that it was a replacement for the Defender, one of the most versatile vehicles on the road, something the DC100 can never live up to.
If Defenders didn't exist (they were still called 90's 110's etc) then I'm sure no one would care if it was called Defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater