New Defender Concept

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I might be going out on a limb here, but would not those who would be best able to afford this be at the age where they would want more than 2 doors, some of those folks would even want to (gasp) put more than 1 passenger.

Forgot the styling, forget the drivetrain: where the hell are folks to put there stuff?
2015-Land-Rover-DC100-Sport-Concept.jpg
Got a dog, how you gonna toss it a few bones?

Now add some kids to the mix and it's a no-sell BEFORE I even get a chance to look | drive it. Let's say I'm in realty sales and want the posh'ness of a Rover, where would my clients sit?

The utility alone screams college-aged vehicle, yet with no purchasing power. Why do you think SUVs sold so well in the States? Was it the 20-somethings buying them? It was the slightly older soccer parents who wanted 4WD for the winter, wanted something other than a minivan to transport and take road trips with the munchkins, could tow a trailer here and there, &c &c. That buyer ain't gonna be looking at this.

I keep shaking my head. I gave up on Toyota, but Rover has SO MUCH opportunity to re-invent itself. As stated earlier, Jeep is not targeting the Lux market yet is apparently selling quite well. How could these guys NOT target this same group? History, knowledge, capability, design: they've got it all. How possibly can the writing not be read.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
You are way on point Scott! The 94,95 and 97 Defenders were woefully lacking in rear seating, but they hit a home run compared to this truck.
I'll also add to some of the points above- Dressing this truck up with bumpers, sliders, smaller wheels, larger tires, lift, etc isn't going to help it. It start out life looking like an old Izuzu Vehicross (google it) before it starts life. You can't put lipstick on this pig. (not dogging the Izuzu Vehicross- just saying that this in no way resembles a Land Rover)
Let the hate mail start! I'm ready!
D

JackW

Explorer
One of my favorite pictures of accessories is one of an old 109 with a Power Take Off (PTO) blender mounted to the front bumper! Not sure the DC100 would be able to do that either!
;)
D

This one....

I'm sorta liking the DC100 as a replacement for my Honda CRV - I'd keep the D-90 and Series trucks though....

JamesDowning

Explorer
I might be going out on a limb here, but would not those who would be best able to afford this be at the age where they would want more than 2 doors, some of those folks would even want to (gasp) put more than 1 passenger.

Scott, maybe you missed this from the article:

Later this week we will be bringing you photos and details of the utility models and the station-wagon. They will of course be more applicable to this audience.

I don't think the concept we've seen is the only wheelbase model they are planning on. That's just the teaser. I'm guessing they will offer a 2 and 4 door model at minimum. Lets hope the 'utility model' means a pickup bed.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Scott, maybe you missed this from the article

You're absolutely right, I did miss that! I'm feeling a little better now :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the wagon if that's the case. What are the chances it'll have 3rd row seats?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Perfect site for an article about the new "Defender". So many scripts, links to other sites and other crap that I have a host of stuff to permit if I want to see it. No thanks.

The only thing I see, that I like, on the blue one in the photo above are the recessed door handles.

"...highly customizable...." means to me that you can buy this:
land-rover-defender-130-2.4td-chassis-cab-2007-10.jpg

and build this on it:

026w2-360x225.jpg

Ya know...that's not the end of the world.

Sure, it's got silly plastic "bumpers"...and no, I'm not planning on running out and trading of my "real" Land Rovers for one...but I have this feeling that the brand will survive.

...wait though...maybe SWMBO will like it, and I'll get to drive the D90????

;)

i have to say I'm torn, sure its not hardy and heavy like my 88 range rover. Alas I've been converted by my LR3 and have to say maybe times are changing and the Defender needs to as well. Have you've ever taken you smartphone on vacation? Don't we all drool over GPS and new map apps and software? I'm going to bet on technology being rugged enough to work in the field, I'm excited about the future even if it looks a bit silly now. Land Rover, jeep, toyota, all our beloved brands will be in our hands, if we keep using them they will keep building them.

...Though I don't think I'll forget how to use a compass or ride a horse anytime soon either.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Have you've ever taken you smartphone on vacation?
If I had one I probably would.
Don't we all drool over GPS and new map apps and software?
I don't. More importantly, I have sense enough not to bet my life on the ability of any of them to get me back home.

I honestly see no point in this model whatsoever. Sure, they may sell a few to people who want to pay for the Defender name, but I bet most people will just opt for a Discovery 4, or whatever is the current model at the time.

86inch

As a dyed-in-the-wool "traditionalist" Land Rover owner, this doesn't float my boat.
Its no homage to either the Defender, 90/110, Series trucks or orginal Land Rovers and for me thats where it falls down. Stand the DC100 next to an 80" and there would be zero resemblances. To give it the Defender name is a travesty.

Having said all that, if (when) it goes into production, Land Rover will sell bucketloads of them, not for work, not for construction sites, not for specially adapted vehicles, not for military. Nope, they will be purchased by wealthy types who want the "ruffty-tuffty" image but will knowingly never use its capabilities. They will be too expensive for anyone else to use. Land Rover are well aware of this and are ever pushing their product into premium niches. So as a financial investment it makes sense, at the risk of alienating the enthusiast market but that doesn't matter because the enthusiast market (for Defenders) is small.

So to sum up... there will be lots of DC100's coming to a town near you soon with blacked out windows and 20+" chrome wheels :) a' la' Range Rover Sports!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333