Newbie considering building a camper trailer has questions.

Marcusshink

I have decided to build a 16 foot camper trailer. Reason being is I can't find anything out there I like and the quality of stuff on market is poor. Also I can't afford to buy new and have access to a lot of 2nd hand parts I.e. Windows, appliances, fixtures and two different frames I can build on. All free.
I have been building all my life and can weld also. Pretty extensive plumbing and electrical experience at my disposal also.
My questions start with framing. This camper won't see a lot rough country roads or four wheel drive terrain. Mostly highway miles. So with that being said will standard 2x wood construction be sufficient? I also considered using steel studs (c-channel) to save on weight. On top of framing I thought about using 1/4 plywood for sheer strength then aluminum siding.
Any ideas on how this should be looked at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Marc

hidefxj

Observer
I don't suppose you have any drawings of your creation to be do you?
Seems like a fairly large trailer but if you poke around here a bit, you will get a pretty good idea of what most ended up doing for a trailer foundation as well as materials used.
How much do you estimate your finished product will weigh? Whatcha pullin it with?

Marcusshink

It's a pretty simple rectangular camper trailer with a small bathroom and kitchen in the rear. Seating in the middle down both sides and a queen size bed in the front. I want to keep it under 3500 lbs and I plan to pull it with a 2wd Chevy Trailblazer v6 engine. I have a pretty good idea what I want to do inside it's just the outside walls and ceiling that have got me second guessing my plan of framing this thing like a shed. Lol. I now realize that I need to consider flex and the movement of the trailer as it's going down the road. I am trying to do this on the very cheap but stout plan. I have an old 16 foot camper trailer frame that has been stripped down to the old subfloor. My plan is to strip it completely and start working up. Thanks for the reply by the way.

hidefxj

Observer
I would possibly try posting this in the "camper" section since they are more well versed in the larger trailers. The majority of the trailers in this section are mainly 8x5 or smaller with some exceptions.
Not trying to discourage you, i just think you may have more luck there.

I am trying to take all aspects of your future build into account and I am finding it difficult to believe that you will be able to incorporate all that you have listed AND keep it under 3500 LBS.. I hope I am wrong.
A 16 ft camper constructed of wood with plumbing, bedding, kitchen and bathroom seems fairly ambitious for your target weight especially when you factor in your camping supplies and water storage for your plumbing.
I am sure there is a way to do all that you have in mind, I unfortunately don't have any great solutions for you.
Hopefully some of the other members will chime in with some great answers. They tend to be fairly knowledgeable and experienced.
Good luck man!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal