North American Adventure

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Hello, I'm Erik from NJ. I'm new to this forum as you can see this is my first post. I am a Charter Member of the New Jersey Jeep Association. I've been around jeeps and off-roading since I was very young. I am in the midst of my
two weeks notice at my current job. I have a bunch of money saved up for just this opportunity. So while I'm between jobs I have decided to take a few months and see the rest of the country I live in.

I was referred here by the President of the club. I looked around at some of the information on the main pages, there is a LOT of good information! So i figured that joining the forum would be a big benefit for making my upcoming adventure go smoothly.

I am driving a very well equipped 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and I also have an M416 trailer that I am about a week from completing.

Below Is a Post that I put up on my Club forum www.njjeep.org/forum

I'm about to embark on a major trip across the US, I may even end up in Alaska (depends on wich way the wind is blowing!) I plan on being on the road for about 1 to 2 months if all goes well. I know a lot of you have been to interesting places around the country.

What I'm looking for is some of the places that I HAVE to see before I'm gone.
So If you have been some where cool and or amazing let me know. I'm going to start a map and put all of these Ideas on it when I have enough stuff to fill two months I'm gonna take off! Just me the jeep and my trailer. Of cource anyone who might be interested in tagging along is welcome!
If you have GPS coordinates for something cool post them up too.

A few of the places that I already plan on seeing are:
The Toledo Jeep factory
Mt Rushmore
The grand canyon
Yellowstone
Vegas
The Redwood trees in CA
Can't forget the alamo!
moab

The plan as of now is to go west along the north and return along the south (If I return at all! LOL)
I've never been west of ohio before so I'm sure that every turn I make will lead me to something new.

This plan is still in it's infancy, so I'm totaly open to any suggestions.
I'm hoping to make it a life changing experience!

Thanks for any input you can provide!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Add Crater Lake to the list.

vac2.jpg

This was a cool trip: Lakes, Caves, Earthquakes and the Redwoods

More pictures- Album

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Welcome :)

My recommendation would be to drive straight through to Colorado for the start of the trip. The reason is that anything closer could be done in a weeks vacation from NJ. So, put on the miles until the Rocky Mountains slow you down. Then:

Estes Park area first and work your way down the Continental Divide to
Ouray (incredible and my favorite area in CO). From there
Northern NM and Taos, Santa Fe, etc. and then
Shiprock
Four Corners
Canyon De Chelly
Monument Valley
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Canyonlands
Moab
Jackson WY and The Gun Barrel Restaurant
Yellowstone
Central Idaho
SW Idaho into
Oregon and along the Oregon Coast
Shasta
Tahoe and run the Rubicon to Rubicon Springs down Cadillac Hill
Down 395 to Mono Lake and lunch at the Mobil Station
Over Tioga to Yosemete
Mojave Road
Prescott (say hi to us and have dinner at the Bin)
Flagstaff

Just some fun ideas :)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
When you get to California, you can expect a cold beer waiting for you! I am a little over an hour from the Redwood trees, San Francisco, as well as the Rubicon. Not too sure if I can get away to tag along ~ new baby and all ~ but we'll see as the time drawer nearer. Are you going to have net access along the way?

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Wow this forum is great!! a couple hours and I probaly have enough stuff to fill three months!!!

I'm going to try to set up one of those web cards for my laptop. if not I can always pull into a holiday inn parking lot and borrow some wireless!

Now I need a big map so I can mark all of these places down!:clapsmile

KEEP EM COMING!!!!

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Definately spend some time in the 4 corners area...not just moab. Venture south a bit....

Canyon De Chelly is great....but you have to have a Navajo guide to get into the canyon. $15/hour at the visitors center...worth every penny.

Afton canyon is nice, while in the area you can see how Bacon Strip Ranch is forming up. I met the owner a few years back, when the first cabin was still under construction. Nice guy...haven't followed to see how things worked out for him...the website is still up, so I guess that is a good sign.

A venture south of the border would be in order as well...it is starting to heat up though. Maybe not the best time of year.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Welcome to ExPo!

If you have time, head up to Washington and go north to British Columbia. The Kootenays are beautiful and full of backroads to explore!

hattrik21

Adventurer
I second Estes Park in Colorado and Ouray. I'd have to say Ouray is one of my fav places in Colorado as well.

If you do swing south along the way home and stop by Dallas let me know and we might be able to meet up for a beer or two.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Hi Erik, welcome to ExPo:26_7_2:

Send me a note when you plan to be in Colorado. I'd be happy to join you for a couple days if possible.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Thanks every one for your input!!! I'm getting stuff together now. Signed up for AAA they will be an asset I'm sure while i'm on the road. Going next week to put the finishing touches on the trailer. this is gonna be good!

Does any one know if Poison Spyder does installs at their shop? I want to get a cage from them, and if I'm gonna be out there, who better to install it than the guys who designed it?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Since Colorado, Utah and Wyoming have pretty much been covered, I'll also put in a pitch for the Columbia Gorge between Washington and Oregon. In fact, the Cascade Mountains of Washington are spectacular - Mount Rainier, North Cascades National Park, Mount Baker, the Lake Chelan area - all are amazing. There's also a cool little town called Leavenworth on the Eastern side of the Cascades that looks exactly like a little Bavarian village, right down to the painted frescoes on half-timbered buildings.

If you're into deserts (or just haven't seen many deserts) then the Great Basin in Nevada can be pretty cool, too. I like the Black Rock Desert in Northwestern Nevada, and Death Valley is one of my favorite National Parks. The Great Basin is a "cold desert", unlike the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts of Arizona and California, which makes them look and feel a lot different. About 90% of Nevada is public land, the vast majority of that is BLM land, which basically means you can camp or hike wherever you want unless it's specifically prohibited.

Oh, back to Colorado, I've always been partial to Dinosaur National Monument, too. The dinosaur quarries on the South side of the park are fascinating, and at the far North end of the park are the Gates of Lodore and Browns Park, good fishing, boating and exploring on mostly BLM lands. It's also close to Fort Davey Crockett, a historic fur-trading fort from the early 19th century.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Weel some of my suggestions are as follows.

Flaming gorge it is a breath taking view.

Ft bridger. Named after Jim bridger the greatest mountain man in history. Wagon ruts are still there and it beats the alamo anyday. Infact scratch the alamo off the list. You just be asking yourself what the hell were we fighting over!

U.S. calvary museum in kansas. It's not like it was in the movies that's for sure. Medicine bow in wyoming. Absolutely fantastic! One of the best parks I've been to.

North rim of the grand canyon

Zion national park

Drive highwway 50 "the lonliest road in america" down to pueblo colorado. Amazing drive and great parks to explore in the gunnison area. Plus a great paddle down the arkansas river. lots of great history along the route.

A paddle down the green river through labrynth canyon

If you love music and you get to the south east there are 2 places to go. North of Boone N.C. there is a littel dot on the map called Todd. THe general store has been open since 1910. THey have live bluegrass every friday and one saturday a month they have a bluegrass festival. Doc Watson headlines one of them. He's in his 80's and living legend. There won't be many more of those concerts. Also in Tenesee is the town of Townsend. There is great cmping and hiking in the smoky mountain national park. You will se bears and other great stuff there for sure and I can give you a tone of hike info. Also in the next town of Marryville is the Steve Kaufmann music camp. This is possibly the best music secret in the U.S. Steve Kauffman is a nationl flat picking champion and he has organised a 2 week school in June. The top studio musition come there and teach students for 2 weeks but each night there is a live concert put on by the pros. It is like $8 to get in. Maybe an total of 100 people and it is an amazing experience.

South of Boone is the town of wilson creek It is set down in this valey that is a great area to explore. Great secluded camping and a neat river with alot of great history.

I'm sure I'll think of more but that is a start.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
North of Boone N.C. there is a littel dot on the map called Todd. THe general store has been open since 1910. THey have live bluegrass every friday and one saturday a month they have a bluegrass festival. Doc Watson headlines one of them. He's in his 80's and living legend. There won't be many more of those concerts.

Do you have any more info on that general store? Like the name? I would like to see if I could find a show schedule on the web somewhere.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the website! Man google is amazing!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online