OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

50pentz

Has anyone changed the frig plug from the cigarette lighter type to the other? Mine keeps falling out while driving and I'd like to modify, but not sure which part(s) to get.

rehammer81

Has anyone changed the frig plug from the cigarette lighter type to the other? Mine keeps falling out while driving and I'd like to modify, but not sure which part(s) to get.
I suspect you are talking about an Anderson style plug? Another option you could do is change your 12V socket to the one that ARB offers where the plug has a screw on collar to secure it. You would have to change your plug end also to the ARB male end but shouldn't be too hard.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

WillySwan

What are others doing for privacy on the door? There's no shade and it's facing the shower. Not a problem for dispersed camping when it's just me and the missus, but when were in a campground....
Here is what I came up with for a window cover for the door. The bill-of-materials is pretty simple:
  • 4 ea - Command 3 lb. Medium Oil Rubbed Bronze Metal Hooks <link>
  • 2 ea - 1/2-inch round dowel rod cut to length
  • 4 ea - 1/2-inch Gray Rubber Protectors <link>
  • For the actual curtain, I had a couple of Ikea dish towels that were the perfect size. I sewed them together in 2-layers for better opacity and to have the print side exposed on both sides. I sewed two slots for the dowel rods also all by myself. Those 7th grade home economics skills are put to use once again.
It is easy to put up and to take down. It provides the desired privacy and I'm happy with the result.

NdGpV8cuxDvrjL0l9eRNsriTUn7TUT7z2-C7MlZQXXY3k0Al5Hyu79Gu8e3q_qfNMbm7-5cp9Tco3pHdqXDJ_ceqrE450hXFenpWZRtDG1oqw0jROGdUKOYeQHYCi0vxBVu0-0gIuV_N027_NxelnXE

Last edited:

rblitz

Yes, I swapped it out for an Anderson plug. Can't post the Amazon link for some reason, but here's what you can search for:

Anderson Power Products SB50 Connector Kit, 50 Amps, Gray Housing, w/ 10 12 AWG, 6319 (1 Pair)​

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

ROA has a video of thier new mod of moving the spare tire to front tounge (great idea). Then they test the sway towing again empty with a Gladiator that likely has enough mods to bring towing capacity down to 6,500 pounds.

Website says tounge weight is 500 lbs. Just curious what you all think the tounge weight of a loaded d15 with tire on box would be and if you would tow with a Gladiator or like truck or suv? Someone even asked if they could pull the d15 with a lexus gx 460 after watching the video.

RJWB

ROA has a video of thier new mod of moving the spare tire to front tounge (great idea). Then they test the sway towing again empty with a Gladiator that likely has enough mods to bring towing capacity down to 6,500 pounds.

Website says tounge weight is 500 lbs. Just curious what you all think the tounge weight of a loaded d15 with tire on box would be and if you would tow with a Gladiator or like truck or suv? Someone even asked if they could pull the d15 with a lexus gx 460 after watching the video.
In my opinion the ROA video showing sway on the Dweller 15 is a bunch of BS! Clearly the truck and trailer are not set up correctly. I've towed my Dweller 15 for over a year now with no sway issues I did upgrade my shock absorbers, I do not use a weight distribution system. I do make sure I have water in my tanks. This slightly impacts MPG but still a few gallons of gas is cheaper than $1000 weight distribution system. I tow with a Toyota tundra. I wouldn't recommend towing the Dweller 15 with anything less than a half ton truck. My opinion.

Last edited:

RJWB

Yes I switched out to an Anderson plug. Purchased on eBay. 1687285819005.png

rblitz

Had a nice trip to the tidewater region of Maryland and Virginia. A couple of lessons learned:
  • The refrigerator struggled in direct sunlight with temps above 80. On solar, I had it (the ICECO variant) set to eco mode with both sides targeted at 32 degrees F and it only got below 45 after sundown. Later in the trip when temps dropped and we were on shore power, the performance leveled out.
  • I have some kind of leak in the "skylight" above the bed. We had a midnight torrential downpour and the next morning found the end of the bed and floor by the bed soaked. The water was dripping from the inside of the housing (red arrow in the pic below.) I haven't had a chance to inspect the seals.
    • Has anyone removed that skylight housing yet?
    • 20230620_092750.jpg
  • Watch out for the external hatches that open downward dropping open. We bent the metal around the hinge attachment when the fridge door wasn't fully secure and it opened under the influence of it own weight.
  • Not a Dweller issue, but worth posting. This critter was hanging out under our awning. He/She had about a 4" wingspan. All those things on its back are its babies. Needless to say, the wife was beside herself and all the doors of the D15 have to be closed if not in use. :) 20230619_095035.jpg

rblitz

For the entryway, I have found that a bristle door mat works great <link>. It can be cut to size and it does not fray, the depth is perfect, it catches "a lot" of dirt, and it is easy to remove and shake out.

jhPB7I_8mii5BUfn-S0UWzkjvUPovXMdlAuikgvk9gvWwo69KXYf5sTnPbmFdHp-T8umrtpfoqYEhHvcGuNUsEEPsLemJm6h4h7mNADrvdncd6GVCUZsw5gm11a4Mr1oLREHVWnYRqgkOxjUpSFEedg
Nice!
Here's my wife's solution: velcro attachment. Needs a rollup bar like yours.
20230620_092833.jpg

gendlert

Had a nice trip to the tidewater region of Maryland and Virginia. A couple of lessons learned:
  • The refrigerator struggled in direct sunlight with temps above 80. On solar, I had it (the ICECO variant) set to eco mode with both sides targeted at 32 degrees F and it only got below 45 after sundown. Later in the trip when temps dropped and we were on shore power, the performance leveled out.
  • I have some kind of leak in the "skylight" above the bed. We had a midnight torrential downpour and the next morning found the end of the bed and floor by the bed soaked. The water was dripping from the inside of the housing (red arrow in the pic below.) I haven't had a chance to inspect the seals.
    • Has anyone removed that skylight housing yet?
  • Watch out for the external hatches that open downward dropping open. We bent the metal around the hinge attachment when the fridge door wasn't fully secure and it opened under the influence of it own weight.
  • Not a Dweller issue, but worth posting. This critter was hanging out under our awning. He/She had about a 4" wingspan. All those things on its back are its babies. Needless to say, the wife was beside herself and all the doors of the D15 have to be closed if not in use. :)
I just took a trip in AZ and my fridge (SnoMaster) is keeping up in the driveway (100F+ in Tucson) when I'm pre-cooling it under 12V power only (I haven't been plugging it in at home since I upgraded to Li). I have one side set to 5F (for ice cream and cocktail ice) and the other set to 37F (for beer and food). It takes about 36 hours for the colder side to get down to temp and stay there, so I pre-cool a couple days prior to the trip if I can remember.

I also had the skylight leak, and I had it re-caulked on the outside (it was still under warranty) and haven't had an issue since. The other lesson learned was to pull down the rear side of the pop top so the roof is slanted when it's raining so water doesn't pool on top and just runs off the back end.

Lastly, spiders don't creep me out...until that. Wow. Do you know what species that is?

rblitz

I just took a trip in AZ and my fridge (SnoMaster) is keeping up in the driveway (100F+ in Tucson) when I'm pre-cooling it under 12V power only (I haven't been plugging it in at home since I upgraded to Li). I have one side set to 5F (for ice cream and cocktail ice) and the other set to 37F (for beer and food). It takes about 36 hours for the colder side to get down to temp and stay there, so I pre-cool a couple days prior to the trip if I can remember.

I also had the skylight leak, and I had it re-caulked on the outside (it was still under warranty) and haven't had an issue since. The other lesson learned was to pull down the rear side of the pop top so the roof is slanted when it's raining so water doesn't pool on top and just runs off the back end.

Lastly, spiders don't creep me out...until that. Wow. Do you know what species that is?
Thanks for that info. I only pre-cooled for about 8 hours, so maybe I should experiment with a longer cool down.

I plan on getting up on the roof this weekend and looking for dried out or loose caulk. What kind did you use to reseal?
Yes, we've adopted a tilt forward setup (also helps to keep the toilet seat upright when I'm in "urinal mode".)

We think it was a wolf spider like this: https://www.newsweek.com/spider-mom-carrying-babies-back-1750609

RJWB

Great idea to lower the backside of the pop top roof when raining. Thanks

Flettrich3

Good to be a part of the discussion board. I have learned allot.

Is there any type of security for the Mchitch Coupler? I see all kinds of coupler locks for the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven