OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

rehammer81

Has anyone had any luck purchasing a good camper cover for the Dweller 13?
The Dweller 13 is similarly sized to my Boreas EOS-12. A Class B RV cover is shaped pretty well and about the right size to cover the whole box and the tongue.
a4006d8915b3f9da07536973b8726172.jpg
f62ac829b787859fdd8ae1a58255f04d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

EWilli150

Good morning, I'm looking for some advice for DC to DC charging for my OBI Dweller 15 travel trailer. As you know the Dweller comes pre-equipped with a Anderson DC to DC charging cable. I'd like to take advantage of this improved charging. At the same time I need to be careful not to damage the tow vehicle. My tow vehicle is a 2022 Toyota Tundra. As we all know today's cars have a lot of electrical equipment and I don't want to do anything to damage the truck and/or impact the trucks warranty. Looking for advice, has anyone done this before?
My plan is to purchase a Redarc battery isolator (SBI12). I've been told this is the correct product to use for cars with smart alternator's I'm making a bit of an assumption that my Toyota Tundra has a smart alternator.
I've attached an image of the basic wiring diagram. Looking for advice. Thanks
View attachment 756460
Curious if you ever figured this out? I have a 2021 Tundra I'd like to do this type of setup on. I have the 2022 D13 with the Anderson plug at the tongue.

Xid_az

New Dweller 15 owner here. We wanted to get a fully enclosed (6 sided) matress protector for the hinged matress. Any experience with a protector that can handle the flip?
Since we're going to be taking it on dusty AZ and UT roads, my experience is that dust gets everywhere, regardless of how sealed the chassis, so this seems like a must for longevity of the matress.
Appreciate your thought and experience.

bjammin101

New Dweller 15 owner here. We wanted to get a fully enclosed (6 sided) matress protector for the hinged matress. Any experience with a protector that can handle the flip?
Since we're going to be taking it on dusty AZ and UT roads, my experience is that dust gets everywhere, regardless of how sealed the chassis, so this seems like a must for longevity of the matress.
Appreciate your thought and experience.
yup, we got this one and it stays on even when folding/unfolding - One of the dogs put it ot the test by peeing on it as well. It works....😬😬😬

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I wonder why the Dwellers get so much dust in them. My trailer is not very insulated and so far no dust. Maybe because my wheels are outside the box? Or could it be the pop-up aspect? Or do you have to drive 300 miles straight on a dirt road to have the dust penetrate?

Xid_az

yup, we got this one and it stays on even when folding/unfolding - One of the dogs put it ot the test by peeing on it as well. It works....😬😬😬
Do you recall the brand and size you're using? I thought that I'd need to go bigger than an RV King to accommodate the stretch/flip.

Xid_az

I wonder why the Dwellers get so much dust in them. My trailer is not very insulated and so far no dust. Maybe because my wheels are outside the box? Or could it be the pop-up aspect? Or do you have to drive 300 miles straight on a dirt road to have the dust penetrate?
I don't have any experience with dust in the Dweller yet, but based on my experience running backroads in AZ and UT, dust always finds a way in. If the dweller will keep most dust out while traveling, all the better.
When I camp in UT, wind and the dust it picks up are inevitable, so even if it's closed up for travel and sealed, at camp I'm expecting it get dust.

When I was underneath yesterday, one concern I have is the AC's exhaust. There's a big hole cut for that, so I'm curious how it will handle the dusty sandy roads. Anyone have experience with that that they can share?

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I don't have any experience with dust in the Dweller yet, but based on my experience running backroads in AZ and UT, dust always finds a way in. If the dweller will keep most dust out while traveling, all the better.
When I camp in UT, wind and the dust it picks up are inevitable, so even if closed up for travel it's sealed, at camp I'm expecting it get dust.

When I was underneath yesterday, one concern I have is the AC's exhaust.

There's a big hole cut for that, so I'm curious how it will handle the dusty sandy roads. Anyone have experience with that that they can

Interesting. It's not just Dwellers. I have seen folks post dust problems in Xplores and other off road rigs. I have been waiting for dust to appear in my Trail Marker and possibly doing some sort of positive pressure vent/fan system. But after 1,000 miles plus on dirt roads in UT, Nevada, Wyoming and ID s no dust. Not even in my tounge box. I do not have an AC system and no wheel wells.

bjammin101

Do you recall the brand and size you're using? I thought that I'd need to go bigger than an RV King to accommodate the stretch/flip.
If you click the link, I bought the King size and it fits perfectly. It wraps round the corners and partially on the edges so it wont come off when the mattress folds.

I havent had dust issues but also havent driven the trailer on a dirt road for more than several hundred feet at a time.

Xid_az

If you click the link, I bought the King size and it fits perfectly. It wraps round the corners and partially on the edges so it wont come off when the mattress folds.

I havent had dust issues but also havent driven the trailer on a dirt road for more than several hundred feet at a time.
Thanks, the link wasn't showing up for me for some reason, so I dug into the page's HTML and found the Amazon product reference. In case others are also having link issues, the Amazon reference is B086YY22NQ

That one looks like it's just a top fit, like a standard fitted sheet. I was hoping to find a full coverage protector, one that completely surrounds the mattress on 6 sides. Because of the folding nature, I may be living a pipe dream and a full coverage protector won't work. :)

marlana80

Thanks, the link wasn't showing up for me for some reason, so I dug into the page's HTML and found the Amazon product reference. In case others are also having link issues, the Amazon reference is B086YY22NQ

That one looks like it's just a top fit, like a standard fitted sheet. I was hoping to find a full coverage protector, one that completely surrounds the mattress on 6 sides. Because of the folding nature, I may be living a pipe dream and a full coverage protector won't work. :)
This is the one I purchased, full zip around: https://a.co/d/b8PUdND, Amazon ASIN: B004P1I4SA

marlana80

I haven't tried resetting the main breaker yet, but I'm assuming this is for the inverter/charger, since its a double-throw. I haven't had a reason to use the inverter yet, and I *thought* I didn't have to press the Renogy button to use Shore power to charge the onboard batteries.

OBIDweller13-Breakers.jpg

WillySwan

When I was underneath yesterday, one concern I have is the AC's exhaust. There's a big hole cut for that, so I'm curious how it will handle the dusty sandy roads. Anyone have experience with that that they can share?
The HB9000 is a heat pump. Underneath the HB9000 are two rectangular openings. These are the intake and outlet for the "outdoor coil" (the condenser in A/C mode). See the attached drawing which I grabbed from the www.rank-orc.com website. What is on the underside of the Dweller are the orange inlet and the red outlet. Inside the Dweller is the poorly located light-blue inlet under the bed. The dark-blue outlets are the ducts inside the Dweller.
HOW-IT-WORKS-HP.jpg

Xid_az

Underneath the HB9000 are two rectangular openings. These are the intake and outlet for the "outdoor coil" (the condenser in A/C mode). What is on the underside of the Dweller are the orange inlet and the red outlet.
Do we need to be concerned about the exposure of the outdoor coil to dust or mud? Should we be checking this after each trip or during the trip if we went down a muddy road?
Is what is exposed the equivalent of the fins that I'd find on my house HVAC, which I'm supposed to clean a couple times a year, especially after an active monsoon season with duststorms?
Appreciate any thoughts on this so I can learn what I need to maintain regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven