OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

50pentz

This weeks mods!

-Monroe shocks✅
-RAS Suspension for truck✅
-Made a quick hose disconnect for the gray water✅
-Fix rear tank hose so it doesn't dump gallons of water into the trailer when you go to fill it!🤬😡🤦‍♂️🤣(my reactions by the minute) . Cant catch everything! Dang hose wasn't connected at the fill, thank goodness I wasn't multitasking😂.✅
The Joy's of owning a trailer!

As far as the city water connection is concerned, mine is a no go also. Leaks like a sieve. I'll have to dig into that one later!
can you share your gray water mod?

WillySwan

I think it's time to upgrade the truck so it can match the trailer..

Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to explore BB State Park.
- Is Las Burras an out-and-back or a loop?
- If it is out-and-back, did you have any issues coming back out?

One comment on your towing set-up - If you are planning to keep towing with the Taco, or anything else for that matter, I would suggest looking at a hitch mount with a much shorter extension. With a 500 lb-plus tongue weight, that current set-up is putting a huge bending moment on your hitch and the frame of your truck

Look at the setup @CowboyKyle has. I think it would work for you. I believe his is a B&W adjustable ball mount with the B&W TS35100B ball attachment. B&W makes top notch stuff.

extended hitch.jpg

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
That is an absolutely horrible towing setup. Perfect example of what you don't want to have.

Not only is having the connection point ("ball" in normal setups) that far from the vehicle hitch bad for trailer stability (you want connection point to bumper to be as short as possible), but it also applies unnecessary leverage to that hitch, which will eventually cause problems. Heck, even in the photo it already looks bent and facing downwards from the truck's level.

tjtx

That is an absolutely horrible towing setup. Perfect example of what you don't want to have.

Not only is having the connection point ("ball" in normal setups) that far from the vehicle hitch bad for trailer stability (you want connection point to bumper to be as short as possible), but it also applies unnecessary leverage to that hitch, which will eventually cause problems. Heck, even in the photo it already looks bent and facing downwards from the truck's level.

Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to explore BB State Park.
- Is Las Burras an out-and-back or a loop?
- If it is out-and-back, did you have any issues coming back out?

One comment on your towing set-up - If you are planning to keep towing with the Taco, or anything else for that matter, I would suggest looking at a hitch mount with a much shorter extension. With a 500 lb-plus tongue weight, that current set-up is putting a huge bending moment on your hitch and the frame of your truck

Las Burras is an out-and-back, this video is the back part, going out was actually the toughest part and we didn't film it sadly. We camped at Las Burras #3 (the furthest site), this was the worst section of the trail which is about 3/4 of a mile down Las Burras rd. The rest was pretty non-dramatic in+out.

Nothing is bent fortunately, but it is long (18") so it clears the tailgate, which I might have to change to the 12", which will help prevent the extra leverage. The WD bars aren't on here, once we hit the gravel we removed them.

LaBlaze

Picked our 15 up from ROA on 3-30 and stayed out on Burr Point on 3-31. We have the equalizer and fox shocks and it did well. The drive also consisted of high wind and snow. We took off the equalizer in Hanksville and drove about 15 miles of highway before going off road. Without the equalizer the trailer was all over the road on the highway , it was like night and day. We drove back to Castle Rock south of Denver without any problems, even survived the crater potholes on I70.
What fox shocks did you get? Were looking to upgrade ours and there's great posts on here about the size and stuff but we're still clueless what to order

LaBlaze

Just back from a four day trip to Kentucky from Maryland in the D15. 1,500 miles through moderate mountains and paved country roads gave me some good experience in handling the trailer. Semi traffic on I81 was "interesting".

Observations:
  1. Need to get the front locker struts replaced; it's a real PITA pulling stuff out of there when you have to hold it up.
  2. Need to replicate WillySwan's galley sink drainage solution; water gets into the utensil tray
  3. More tongue weight definitely reduces sway and roll issues; achieved with firewood in the locker outbound and 1/2 tank of grey water on return
  4. Staying under 65 by using my truck's speed warning indicator was an effective way to stay safe on 7 hour legs.
  5. I find the Truma controller hard to work; it's overly sensitive on the dial. Give me old fashioned knobs and switches.
  6. Got the E1 error message on the ICECO fridge several times. My battery state was fine.
  7. The Mchitch release is not seamless; several times I had to crank up the jockey wheel to lift the hitch, then hop up on the bumper while my wife pulled up on the release handle. The little detent pin (?) seems offset and gets caught. Anyone else having this issue when unhitching?
Did you ever find the issue with the E1 error message on the fridge. We get the same thing when we have full battery power and the batteries are charging from the solar.

LaBlaze

Sure. I have people ask all the time by email, on here, on our blog, etc. Rather than a laundry list of service providers, it's just easier to respond to specific questions since locations and type of problem to be solved vary so much. Phoenix is filled with good options. For example, RV Master Techs in Glendale has some excellent people and they specialize in mobile calls. For anything suspension related (all brands), Spectrac in Gilbert is excellent. In Quartzsite, you have RV Lifestyles providing good comprehensive services. Quartzsite in the Fall/Winter months is also filled with excellent mobile techs.
What's the link to your blog? I'd love to check it out!

LaBlaze

Anybody having issues with caulking around the wet room toilet not adhering ? If you find a fix let me know.

Thx
Not sure if anyone responded to this but there's a posy from a while back of someone saying that the material the wet room is made of doesn't like caulk. They used a 3m waterproof type tape instead.

LaBlaze

I agree with your assessment of the value of reading everything and likely will do that. As with most forums for me, the more I read, the more I know, but the less clear the big picture is. Throughout the comments there are people highly discouraged by fixable issues, people who hate this camper but don’t even have one, people who love the camper unconditionally, and everything between. There are also some very pragmatic voices (cowboy and gendlert among others) on the highs and lows. I was hoping to get a feel from those that have the camper whether the issues they encountered outweigh what they like about it and if they would buy it again knowing what they know now.
We've had our dweller13 for 3 weeks now, 8 nights in it (only 1 site with hookup, the rest we're all boondocking). And we only had water for 2 nights on our first trip testing it out in TX before our long road trip. Our current trip has freezng temps so we winterized before leaving, and we've driven over 1,500 miles so far (got another 1800 to go)... The camper I really wanted was a Kimberly or bruder but the wife said no f'in way are we spending 100k+ on a camper. She set the budget and said no more than 40k for a camper. I spent 2 years researching brands, looking at comparable models, etc etc before we pulled the trigger and getting a dweller. One popped up close to us and we went to the dealership JUST TO LOOK cause I was still on the fence about it after reading all the forums and stuff but they gave us such a good price we said okay and got it. We have a 2022 tacoma trd pro and a few big selling points on the 13 for me were 1. The weight (it's still pushing the max for our taco but is less weight than other brands we looked at) 2. Indoor wet bath (we have a Joolca hot water heater for tent camping that we use for showering but the wife wanted an indoor shower with hot water). 3. It's an off road camper that seems to be built well 4. One of the most important things for me was the length and having the hard sided pop out. A lot of places we go have a limit of length of camper so we can actually still travel to places we want and having the hard sided pop out let's us camp in bear country. 5. we got ours for 25k all in so that gives me a lot of wiggle room to make adjustments. 6. The king size bed layout!!! We needed a king bed for us and our massive dogs (just 1 now since our old lady recently passed away but we'll be getting another 90lb dog soon). I love the north/south layout so we're not climbing over each other or the dogs to get out of the bed.
We dealt with some crap when we got our camper (mostly cause the rv place we got it from sucked and didn't do a good inspection and we didn't know what we were looking out for but we had an rv tech who knows about Australian campers come out and do an inspection and fix stuff for us...the rv place we got it from covered the cost). We're going to upgrade the shocks and battery system and some other small mods (we're still dealing with an E1 power issue on our fridge and some other stuff we need to figure out) but so far I would totally buy this camper again in a heart beat (lets see if i feel the same way in a year). Mainly cause of the price. I can do the mods and stay within our budget. Ours is a 2022 model. I'm wishing we waited for the supposedly upgraded 2023 models but oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.
One thing that sucks is no manual!!! We've rented all sorts of campers and rvs before and they have very detailed manuals. I'm working on compiling all the information from this forum and other forms in a Google doc and am going to share it with the group (it'll probably be in feb/March).
We don't have a sway bar/wdh and she BOUNCES. we call her the dancing queen. She doesn't sway as much as bounce all over. We hit some pretty potholed crappy highways and at 60mph she was dancing all over. We had to slow down to 50-55mph which was scary when the speed limit was 75. There are good posts on here about wdh and sway bars. We bought a equalizer and the rv tech who worked on our dweller wouldn't install it for us because he didn't like how the do35 worked with it and said he wont do work that he does not believe isnt safe. We got a Kurt (curt?) sway bar instead and since he had to do modifications for that also he wouldn't install it. We're looking at getting an Australian brand sway bar that works with the do35 (ours has a do35 and not mchitch). Off road the camper is awesome!!! No problem there. We will be looking into rebalancing the wheels, etc etc that other people talked about on the forum. With a smooth highway we cruise easily at 60-65mph.
One thing to add.. I've been backpack camping and car camping for the past 20+ years and now being 40 we wanted to upgrade to a camper. On our first trip out it was nice taking only 5 minutes to set up camp!!!

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Yup!!! We did! The dealer had it af 29,999 and all in was 33k or something like that. We got them down to 25k.
I don't care how many mods you all have to do that is just such a killer deal. Even that scary Chinese made Tribe expedition 500 is 55k msrp. A comparable mdc is 55k. Taxa Mantis overland is 50k. Cricket overland is started at 35k. Black Series hq12 42k

First off, I want to thank @LaBlaze for his long post. I look forward to seeing future updates as they travel!

I recently experienced our lithium battery bank (5 x 105 Ah Lion LiFePo) not accepting a charge in near freezing temps. I have since installed a DIY battery warming system. I mention this for those seeking a lithium battery upgrade. I suggest considering this at the time of upgrade since it would be easier to install then. My 2 cents.

Treefarmer1

What's the link to your blog? I'd love to check it out!
Here you go. It's mostly to let friends and family know where we are and what we're doing so if we disappear while boondocking they can rescue our dogs.🙂 The most recent posts were all about the building of our prototype trailer from Kingdom Camping.

RVino Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online