OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I was just thinking, if my dealership is having issues ordering parts ( because they evidently are) directly with Obi, Maybe they could collaborate with funtown rv or another dealership to order parts from that Obi responds to.

Thx
Fun Town are the clowns that made a vid saying the Dweller was manufactured in Arizona and NOT brought over from over seas in a shipping container. You know like the total opposite from the truth!

tjtx

Fun Town are the clowns that made a vid saying the Dweller was manufactured in Arizona and NOT brought over from over seas in a shipping container. You know like the total opposite from the truth!
And we stopped at 2 Fun Towns on the way home looking for Equalizer parts since they're a "parts" distributor according to Equalizer and they had nothing and were super unhelpful and rude. 0/10 dealership chain, would not buy from again.

And we stopped at 2 Fun Towns on the way home looking for Equalizer parts since they're a "parts" distributor according to Equalizer and they had nothing and were super unhelpful and rude. 0/10 dealership chain, would not buy from again.
They are the epitome of cheesy RV dealership. They make General RV look like a Tesla dealer

LaBlaze

I bought ours from Fun Town in Conroe, they were totally clueless about it, and still almost a year later haven't got me the parts we were missing (that i just bought out of pocket)..

On the taco side, i'm probably going to move up to the same size tires the trailer has and do the trd pro factory lift soon. The KDMAX tune helps a lot with towing. We might be getting a 4wd 7.3l excursion as a second car to tow with soon. The taco isn't going anywhere though.

I'm super frustrated with the Renogy inverter/charger and i'm probably going to end up swapping to some redarc system for everything soon.
Have you contacted ROA in Utah or NC? They might be able to help you... not sure though. I wanted to buy the camper from them but originally I thought we would have to drive back to Utah to have anything fixed and when I found out that wasn't the case it was too late..
I'm kicking myself in the butt every day these past 2 weeks since we got it for NOT getting it from them.
We're definitely upgrading the whole battery system before the summer. I want to do battleborn batteries if they fit or maybe lion energy batteries and definitely new inverter. And an way to connect external solar panels so we can park in the shade and still get solar. I figured we got a great deal on the camper (25k all in) so it gives us some wiggle room. And 100k cheaper than the Kimberly caravan that I really want lol (I'll keep playing the lottery)

We ditched trying to use an equalizer with it cause we have air bags already.. we tried adding a curt sway control today but I didn't like the idea of having to use extra washers for clearance and rigging it so I'm going to contact do35 and see about getting the hayman reese that goes with the do35.. https://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/dual-cam-high-performance-sway-control
We didn't realize with the sway bar / wdh that it limits mobility and wed have to be taking it on/off between highway and offroading cause sometimes we'll be on a highway and then hit a mountain for a bit or a highway that goes from 60mph to slower cause of hairpin turns and then highway again and who wants to be getting in and out when it's freezing out (well be going through snowy cold places starting tomorrow).
I love Australian brands and wish that they had US counterparts

Have you contacted ROA in Utah or NC? They might be able to help you... not sure though. I wanted to buy the camper from them but originally I thought we would have to drive back to Utah to have anything fixed and when I found out that wasn't the case it was too late..
I'm kicking myself in the butt every day these past 2 weeks since we got it for NOT getting it from them.
We're definitely upgrading the whole battery system before the summer. I want to do battleborn batteries if they fit or maybe lion energy batteries and definitely new inverter. And an way to connect external solar panels so we can park in the shade and still get solar. I figured we got a great deal on the camper (25k all in) so it gives us some wiggle room. And 100k cheaper than the Kimberly caravan that I really want lol (I'll keep playing the lottery)

We ditched trying to use an equalizer with it cause we have air bags already.. we tried adding a curt sway control today but I didn't like the idea of having to use extra washers for clearance and rigging it so I'm going to contact do35 and see about getting the hayman reese that goes with the do35.. https://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/dual-cam-high-performance-sway-control
We didn't realize with the sway bar / wdh that it limits mobility and wed have to be taking it on/off between highway and offroading cause sometimes we'll be on a highway and then hit a mountain for a bit or a highway that goes from 60mph to slower cause of hairpin turns and then highway again and who wants to be getting in and out when it's freezing out (well be going through snowy cold places starting tomorrow).
ROA is asking a lot more for thier Dwellers and if you don't live near them why?

tjtx

The equalizer goes on and off super fast with airbags btw, I put an ARB twin compressor under the hood for airing up and down tires and the bags. I run 30psi with the bars and 40psi without. You can put 80psi in to jack up the rear to put the bars on and just let out to 30psi and settle it back down.

I'd def recommend something for sway, after 1000miles this week without them (finally found parts to fix the saddles yesterday) I sorely missed them.

I just run the bars on road, and anywhere that we don't need a bunch of articulation. Takes 4-5 minutes with the compressor to take them off.

tjtx

After dealing with having to constantly mess with the Renogy inverter and the poor performance of the PWM solar charger, I'm probably about to waste like $4k on:

And probably some sort of static transfer switch to replicate the Renogy inverters functionality with moving back and forth from shore power. The 3kw inverter is smaller size, lighter, and I'll get dimming for lights, remote monitoring, and the ability to charge easily from the truck while towing.

I've got 300ah of cheap LiFePo4 batteries right now, and honestly I'll probably just keep running them until they die. We've had 4 very low solar days in a row with lots of miles, temps in the 40s and we finally ran the current batteries down. Getting the Renogy to charge them back to full has been a chore for sure. I'm heading home tomorrow, and will probably start ordering stuff in early January and will report back what an install looks like. Honestly having PWM dimming on lighting and remote control from an app will be worth the money as we start going full(er) time in the trailer. The extra charging flexibility (even if I lose charging output), actual capacity reporting, and electronic fusing will just be icing on the cake.

Also, not sure if anyone is running starlink, but the new v3 dish doesn't even require weird connectors and stuff (just a special PoE injector) but the cheap PoE injector and converter into the v2 dishy cable type and a small mobile router works great. I've been connected constantly and we just put the dish on the roof above the bed that folds out. I did a rush install of it all the day before we left, but it's been great.

If i get a new v3 dish, I'll probably just put an RJ45/8p8c waterproof connector under the trailer with a lockable cover, but for now this works.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2472.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12

LaBlaze

After dealing with having to constantly mess with the Renogy inverter and the poor performance of the PWM solar charger, I'm probably about to waste like $4k on:

And probably some sort of static transfer switch to replicate the Renogy inverters functionality with moving back and forth from shore power. The 3kw inverter is smaller size, lighter, and I'll get dimming for lights, remote monitoring, and the ability to charge easily from the truck while towing.

I've got 300ah of cheap LiFePo4 batteries right now, and honestly I'll probably just keep running them until they die. We've had 4 very low solar days in a row with lots of miles, temps in the 40s and we finally ran the current batteries down. Getting the Renogy to charge them back to full has been a chore for sure. I'm heading home tomorrow, and will probably start ordering stuff in early January and will report back what an install looks like. Honestly having PWM dimming on lighting and remote control from an app will be worth the money as we start going full(er) time in the trailer. The extra charging flexibility (even if I lose charging output), actual capacity reporting, and electronic fusing will just be icing on the cake.

Also, not sure if anyone is running starlink, but the new v3 dish doesn't even require weird connectors and stuff (just a special PoE injector) but the cheap PoE injector and converter into the v2 dishy cable type and a small mobile router works great. I've been connected constantly and we just put the dish on the roof above the bed that folds out. I did a rush install of it all the day before we left, but it's been great.

If i get a new v3 dish, I'll probably just put an RJ45/8p8c waterproof connector under the trailer with a lockable cover, but for now this works.
I truly appreciate all your help and advice!!! We have a starlink but not the high performance flat dish. We'll probably upgrade to that and mount it on the roof.
Have a safe trip back and yea I'm sort of dreading our 3,000 total mile road trip we're starting out on tomorrow but we'll just take it easy on the highways.

tjtx

Oh not even the high performance dish, just the new v3 dish that is in beta now, should be GA later this year, same price as the current one but it's flat and non-motorized w/o the awful connectors.

They said they'd give it to us for 3k more than we got ours for which wasn't bad. Most places will sell a 13 for 25-30k .. maybe less even
I believe ROAs are 2022 but they did come down to 29,777 which is very cheap. I wonder if that includes any warranty? If not you did great getting yours for 3k less. I think ROA is having problems with OBI as well.

Roa won't help unless u purchase from them directly or pay into their roamer family
For $5,000.00.

Last edited:
I believe ROAs are 2022 but they did come down to 29,777 which is very cheap. I wonder if that includes any warranty? If not you did great getting yours for 3k less. I think ROA is having problems with OBI as well.
They had issues like most of the other dealers . They paid more than they should have. While obi, was selling to other dealers for less than they paid. Pissing off the other dealers. Roa, has been by far more helpful than obi, with their videos. Obi, did a terrible job teaching the dealers about their trailers. So most dealers had no idea what they were selling.

Obi, is ran by 20 year olds. It shows by their juvenile behavior on how they run their business. I spoke to a lot of dealerships b4 purchasing one. Most not all did not have a lot of good things to say about them.

Obi, is just the middle man. They came up with a company name, changed some things around to an already common trailer and called it their own. They need to hire someone with technical support and pr skills. If I would have known how difficult it was to order parts etc... I might have had second thoughts, Hindsight. I really do like my trailer, it just should not be this difficult to communicate with obi for answers. Thank goodness for this forum !

The renogy inverter kinda sucks ! I switched mine out ( when it started to fail and numerous conversations with renogy ) along with controller to an mppt and much happier. We purchased the li-time lifepo4 batteries. They have worked great so far. I would get battleborn if I was full time. But I am not. The reviews on the li-times are really good.
Good luck !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal