OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

LaBlaze

Jockey Wheel:

Also i replaced all 4 stabilizers with:

Etrailer also sells all of the Equalizer stuff you need:

As far as the AC, tbh if you put the fan on high (which is the bottom setting ******) it'll maintain 78-80f in 90-95f with humidity which is OK. We're in Houston and have basically resigned to no camping unless it's tolerable outside anyway. We don't like RV parks a lot, but have hit up a few state parks in the early fall when weather was still awful and did OK. In our driveway with it 99-100 it could manage to get us down to about 82-83 inside. We've also "insulated" the front door (mainly for light) with some bubble/foil stuff that seemed to help some too. Keeping the roof down helps with heat loss a ton, but even with 300ah of lithium and rewiring the AC to run off of the inverter you would get like maybe one night of AC so you'd be stuck with a generator and/or somewhere with power which for us kinda defeats the purpose.

It does tow 100% fine with the Monroe shocks and equalizer up to 85mph without any sway or drama. I wasn't brave enough to try any faster. I also moved to the DO35 because the low rating McHitch they come with isn't really rated for use with WD, the larger sizes are, but the lowest one isn't. The McHitch USA guys were responsive until they just kinda ghosted me when i was looking for an upgrade and another receiver side. Cruise master ships internationally and the Australian dollar exchange rate makes it not so awful.
You are amazing!!!! Thank you so much!! I tried looking through your old posts but I'm still getting used to this site.

Sooooo if I read what you're saying correctly is that on the 13 it's not wise/the mchitch used on it isn't compatible/smart to use/safe to use with an equalizer.

We have a 600lb rated equalizer already but haven't tried setting it up on the trailer.

Looks like we'll be upgrading to a do35 cause I'm chicken ******** when towing the dweller with our Tacoma and don't like how much it sways when trucks and stuff pass us and on any little bump.

Thank you again for all your help!!! Truly appreciate it!!

As for the ac, when we would summer camp in our kodiak tent we would rarely be inside the tent during the day (usually we'll be floating the river or something similar)..we had an ice cooler ac i made that we would use at night to blow right over us along with some other stuff. We would only be using the AC at night so I figured it could charge via solar during the day and then run the ac at night. At least we still have some time to figure it out before summer!!

We'll be taking this bad boy to NM, AZ, UT,NV, and CO on a long camping road trip starting next Monday. We have 3 jackerys but I think we will have to break down and get a gas generator since our test run using the heater killed the batteries at night and I'm worried if it's snowing we won't get charged up by the solar. We're also going to be fully dry to I don't have to worry about adding heating bags to the water tanks and lines before we leave.

Unfortunately we were supposed to pick up our trailer 1.5 weeks sooner than we did but they had to wait on a bunch of parts for it so we don't have enough time to customize it before we hit our planned road trip. (Originally we were just going to tent camp like we do every year).

Thanks you again so much!!! Maybe we'll see you around one day!!

We want to hit up sam houston soon too!!

tjtx

As for the ac, when we would summer camp in our kodiak tent we would rarely be inside the tent during the day (usually we'll be floating the river or something similar)..we had an ice cooler ac i made that we would use at night to blow right over us along with some other stuff. We would only be using the AC at night so I figured it could charge via solar during the day and then run the ac at night. At least we still have some time to figure it out before summer!!

Time for a Texas meetup! We're in Houston normally but we're out in West TX right now. I'm about to pack up and move from Big Bend to Big Bend Ranch for the next few nights.

At night we've found the AC keeps up fine, even in New Orleans at 80f at night with 100% humidity. Also the little tiny AC only draws about 800w, so you can get by with a tiny inverter generator. We've gone down to the beach a couple of times and had to run the AC at night and our little tiny 2000w max/1800w constant runs it and the battery charger in the inverter 100% fine.

I'm also towing with a Tacoma and the thing I found that helped a ton was adding the Firestone helper bags to the truck to level out the rear suspension. 30psi in them and the back is level with the trailer fully loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
ROA adds a roof AC to it also. When I talked to them and told them we want to go camping in TX 110-120 degrees they said that anything over 90 is like "spitting on a fire" since its only 9000 btus. We're in Austin bit camp all over the US.
We'll be looking into a portable ac unit too for summer camping and vent it out a window but we need a solution we can run off the batteries cause 90% of the time We're at primitive spots. (we're going to be upgrading our batteries and having the ac rewired so it can work off of the batteries and not have to be on shore power)
I'm interested to see what other people do and if they have a solution for off grid in 110+ weather!
Also congrats on your new trailer!! Are you apart of the Texas overland group on Facebook?
Thanks
Laura
Roa, will add a roof a/c or any other modification if you purchase from them directly. If you did not purchase from them directly, for Roa, to do a mod or any mod on your trailer, you will need to join their " Roa family" for a cost of $5,000.00 dollars. So $5,000.00 to join plus the cost of a/c install.
Before installing a roof a/c ( unless you do not care) I would contact Obi directly to see if it would affect their warranty. Because if you do install a/c on roof and an issue arises, I am sure Obi would be weaselly about trying not covering any roof related issues and blame the a/c install for anything roof related.

Last edited:

LaBlaze

I'm not sure if this is making a new post or just posting to your reply but...
We didn't expect it to get as cold as it did last night.. all our water jugs outside froze and with everything defrosting we noticed water dripping by the right hand corner of the door and from where the door meets the trailer at that 90degree angle above the mudflap, and from a part under the trailer... not sure if this is just condensation dripping down or if we busted a water line or if this is normal.

Attachments

• 20231211_093949.jpg
    20231211_093949.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231211_093737.jpg
    20231211_093737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
You are amazing!!!! Thank you so much!! I tried looking through your old posts but I'm still getting used to this site.

Sooooo if I read what you're saying correctly is that on the 13 it's not wise/the mchitch used on it isn't compatible/smart to use/safe to use with an equalizer.

We have a 600lb rated equalizer already but haven't tried setting it up on the trailer.

Looks like we'll be upgrading to a do35 cause I'm chicken ******** when towing the dweller with our Tacoma and don't like how much it sways when trucks and stuff pass us and on any little bump.
Just a word of a caution. We towed our '23 Conqueror UEV-14 (USA) with our '06 Tacoma 4WD for the first 9 months of owning our trailer. Conqueror is also imported by OBI and the UEV-14 is similar in size and weight to the Dweller 13. On and off road, the Tacoma pulled the Conqueror great and even better once I installed the Firestone airbags. Then at some point getting to or from a dispersed camp spot north of Moab, the Tacoma chassis bent slightly just behind the rear axle. It turns out our Tacoma had an aftermarket tow package which led to my misinterpretation of the tow capacity. The autobody guy suggested adding 1/3 more weight when calculating tow limits when travelling in the mountains or off-road. We have since moved on to a Ford F150.

Hopefully, our story won't apply to anyone with a Tacoma with a factory tow package and you all will have many miles of unimpeded fun with your Dwellers!

tjtx

Pro-tip i just learned the hard way, if you do add the Equalizer, carry spare saddles/saddle studs. It becomes the low point on the front of the trailer and those grade 5 bolts shear first.

Thank you again for all your help!!! Truly appreciate it!!

We'll be taking this bad boy to NM, AZ, UT,NV, and CO on a long camping road trip starting next Monday. We have 3 jackerys but I think we will have to break down and get a gas generator since our test run using the heater killed the batteries at night and I'm worried if it's snowing we won't get charged up by the solar. We're also going to be fully dry to I don't have to worry about adding heating bags to the water tanks and lines before we leave.

Unfortunately we were supposed to pick up our trailer 1.5 weeks sooner than we did but they had to wait on a bunch of parts for it so we don't have enough time to customize it before we hit our planned road trip. (Originally we were just going to tent camp like we do every year).

Thanks you again so much!!! Maybe we'll see you around one day!!

We want to hit up sam houston soon too!!

I'm not sure if this is making a new post or just posting to your reply but...
We didn't expect it to get as cold as it did last night.. all our water jugs outside froze and with everything defrosting we noticed water dripping by the right hand corner of the door and from where the door meets the trailer at that 90degree angle above the mudflap, and from a part under the trailer... not sure if this is just condensation dripping down or if we busted a water line or if this is normal.
I would guess it is condensation. If you look under the trailer you will see a majority of the water lines are exposed. The only interior water lines I believe are on the drivers side of trailer under the bench seating that feed the shower, sink and water heater. At least in our 15 anyways. That being said, water travels in weird ways though. If it where me I would check under the bench seating, bathroom sink etc... If any of the interior water fittings are leaking, I would expect to see a water streak running along floor.

Good luck !

LaBlaze

I would guess it is condensation. If you look under the trailer you will see a majority of the water lines are exposed. The only interior water lines I believe are on the drivers side of trailer under the bench seating that feed the shower, sink and water heater. At least in our 15 anyways. That being said, water travels in weird ways though. If it where me I would check under the bench seating, bathroom sink etc... If any of the interior water fittings are leaking, I would expect to see a water streak running along floor.

Good luck !
We figured it out.. our inside sink was leaking. Didn't notice it until we got home. The seals along the front cabinets were really good but the whole front of the camper got soaked. Its been a hassle dealing with all of this with the rv place and all the water damage especially since we just got our camper on Friday.

LaBlaze

Anyone have issues with their dweller not being grounded properly? We're having a 3rd party inspection done and the tech said it's not grounded properly but he can't find a place to ground it. He's on the phone with tech but just wondering.

Edit: we found out our brand new inverter is shot. No wonder why our outlets weren't working on batteries.

Last edited:

LaBlaze

I think it's time to upgrade the truck so it can match the trailer..
So awesome!! We did that road last year with just our taco. F getting a tundra!! Lol especially the new ones. I was at toyota the other day and they had 5 sitting on the lot with blown out engines. They said a lot of the engines are blowing out at 30k miles. The new 4th gen taco is sweet... we may upgrade our 2022 trd pro taco down the road once they work out all the kinks. Not sure if I told you this or not but we traded in our taco off road for a trd pro last year and love the pro!
Funny thing..this whole time I assumed we had a mchitch cause thats in the specs. dumbie me never looked closely and I did yesterday and the cover says do35 cruisemaster. Guess we don't have a mchitch after all lol.

What do you use for tow mirror on your taco? We've been looking for some 3rd gen after market ones that don't look like an f150 mirror but can't find any so we're using crappy clip on ones.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Crazy to hear about Tundra blown engines. Just my very humble opinion the Dweller is to heavy for a Taco. I borrowed a Taco to pull my little 3,800 pound (loaded) Trail Marker and the tranny was jumping all over the place. That couldn't be good in the long term. Dweller is to heavy for any tow vehicle that does not come with an stock integrated brake controller. Go at least a half ton. I do live and camp at or above 7,000 feet.

We figured it out.. our inside sink was leaking. Didn't notice it until we got home. The seals along the front cabinets were really good but the whole front of the camper got soaked. Its been a hassle dealing with all of this with the rv place and all the water damage especially since we just got our camper on Friday.
I believe the only wood in the trailer are the cabinets, if that helps. According to obi their floor is some sort of composite honeycomb.
Who installed sink for you ? When I installed sink in my 15, drilling through the floor for drain line, the flooring was this honeycomb thinga ma jigger material. Hopefully water damage to cabinets would be a minimum. The cabinets are plywood and much more solid then particle board etc....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal