O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Christmas '13 update;

I was first planning a 2wk Dec '13 trip down to Baja with some other G's, but that fell thru so instead an old German-car friend(who now has an awesomely built LC80...yeah, trader :wink:) and I planned a trip to the SW. In preparation for this trip, I had LOTS of odds and ends on my to-do list for the G, and many things on my wish list. No better time than the present to get this stuff done right? Here's how it went....

Since I had removed the factory running boards, I wanted to keep from damaging the expensive metal cats via rock ledge contact. Instead of fabbing our own rock sliders(after installing these I realized how much of a PITA that would be), I went with Karl/G-Wagen Accessories sliders. With the help of a friend(thanks Jason!), they were straightforward to install. I may go with Karl's aluminum diamond-plate side steps at some point only for more side-sill protection, but I think also aesthetically the sliders draw your eye down towards the ground, making the truck look less lifted/burly--I prefer the burlier look.
Before;
IMG_1616-vi.jpg

Slider "skis" before install;
IMG_1626-vi.jpg

After install;
IMG_1629-vi.jpg

IMG_1632-vi.jpg

To cover my cargo area I had been using a yellow blanket I had lying around. However, I realized it wasn't the best at hiding my gear, even though my dog is most often back there. So I had a client of ours who has a quilting side biz (http://www.valeriecustomquilting.com/) build some black "blankets" for me to keep my gear more stealthy. Since they have a plush/fuzzy underside, they can double as an actual blanket shall the need arise. She did a random quilt pattern on the topside which actually looks like dog bones in places which I'm sure my German Pointer mix appreciates.
Val's custom cargo cover/blanket;
IMG_1584-vi.jpg

(note; after the SW trip I've decided to make some changes to the cargo area, so this will soon look a bit different)

I had auxiliary lighting on my wish list for quite some time, certainly including lighting for the rear as the factory W463 reverse light is a joke. Since I've involved with K9-search-and-rescue, I also vascillated about adding lights on either side of the rack, which could also be used for setting up camp etc, as well as adding emergency strobes for urban searches when we have to block off traffic for the dogs. Due to shortage of time mainly, I decided to stay with only front and rear aux lights. Originally my plan was to add 2 Hella Rallye4000's to the factory brush guard and 4 to the roof rack and add aftermarket HID kits to them for better light output--I had already prepped the FrontRunner rack with the FR light brackets. As well, I was planning on making a custom bracket to the FR rack for a rear Hella flood lamp. After lots of stewing, I decided that the 6 Hella's up front would draw on the DEKA AGM(in the Nat'l Luna PowerPak) quite a bit, not be so aerodynamic, and with the lower reliability of some of the HID(ie DDM Tuning is what I was thinking about) kits out there, I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere with lighting problems(however having more lights than less would give better % of at least some lights working). I started looking at LED options and the price frightened me a bit. But then I got to thinking about how a rectangular LED bar would fit almost perfectly at the front part of the FR rack ahead of the Autohome. A bit of measuring and wow, it's like it was made to fit there. So I bit the bullet and went with Rigid Industries' E-50 Series LED bar up front and D2 Diffused in back(more on this rear light setup below...). Yes, lots of money for the front light bar but not only was it the perfect fit and retained a stealthy look, but 2wks of blasting thru the open SW where many animals roam at night, I tried to justify the cost by being able to see well at night and not having an animal strike would be lots less costly and less headache than not seeing so well and being stuck in BFE with a mangled truck and possible injuries(and I was right, wow is this thing bright--see below).

So with the lights sorted, now came the wiring. Lights/wiring on the rack meant it was time to make a few rack changes I had on my list for some time (remove the 4 FR light mounts, which meant that the old-style FR wind deflector which we riveted at the front of the rack had to come off to get the captured bolts of the light mounts out, replace the old deflector with the new-style deflector which opened up real estate under the rack and above the sunroof, move the RTT rearward 1/4" so that the E-50 can fit at the front, finally mount an axe and shovel to the rack, move the sandflag bracket, figure out where to mount the Maxtrax which had been stowed in the upper portion of the FR cargo net, etc. Since my friend Tony from Motorsports had just wired Tommy's W463 lighting on a FR rack and knew the most sano way to run the wiring, I enlisted his help as well as Mike Hiscox and other friends/family(thanks Jason and Sean!).
Prepping/organizing for the weekend of work;
IMG_1795-vi.jpg

Beginning wiring;
IMG_1797-vi.jpg

I believe Mike was asking Tony how excited he was to help(Tony loves this stuff--he's my source for the Hutchinson's/FrontRunner/G-Wagen Accessories/ARB/etc);
IMG_1798-vi.jpg

Keeping it super sano and clean using mil-spec loom;
IMG_1827-vi.jpg

IMG_1834-vi.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Custom 3/16" aluminum brackets for front E-50 LED bar(I mocked them in cardboard first, like I did with all of the custom bits here);
IMG_1874-vi.jpg

(I mounted the 2 switches in the coin tray ahead of the gear shift lever. Also painted the shift lever base surround black vs chrome while I was there. I'm waiting for 2 custom amber LED switches from E-Switch as the Rigid's are red and that doesn't match the OEM lighting).

Custom 3/16" aluminum bracket for rear D2 Diffused(off the ladder--below);
IMG_1875-vi.jpg

(I didn't get any pics of the entire rack-off-and-changes as we had been slaving away all day and we were tired, but it does help to have a 3ton overhead crane at your disposal).
Fiskars axe in FR mount and Mike's loved shovel suggestion(which I customized by painting the handle shaft black to keep it stealthy) in FR mount;
IMG_1842-vi.jpg

Black Maxtrax(stealth, remember??) mounted via custom 3/16" mild steel/Tig'd brackets we fab'd up(see below for more info);
IMG_1888-vi.jpg

You'll notice a ladder in the pics above. I had a ladder on my wish list but so far I had just been using the spare tire to hop up onto to get into the Autohome at night, so I had no use for a ladder. That all changed when I started planning for a 2wk excursion which would include being on roads in nowhere for an unknown period of time(we had no idea what cool stuff we might find and want to check out)--more on the ladder below. So then also came the issue of extra fuel for the trip. The G's tank is a pretty standard 26.4gal, but since it's a porky rig(~6700lbs before the trip, weighed in at 7300lbs for the trip all said and done, that's with only 2 people and no dog), it only gets about 10-12mpg average if you're nice to it which means about 230-280mi per tank. Not so great. And since G's are pretty much forgotten around the world when it comes to mods, there are only a few aux fuel tanks available/custom--ORC's go for as much as $3000 not shipped from Germany). So I started brainstorming for other ideas. I knew I wanted to use RotoPax's tanks and at first I thought about using G-Wagen Accessories' custom side mounts or fabbing my own custom brackets off the roof rack to hold some tanks. But I didn't want any more weight up top. I couldn't hang them off the spare tire on the cargo door as the behemoth of the 104lb Hutchie/BFG was already more weight on the door than I wanted. So this is what I came up with instead;
Custom fab'd spare tire holder using the factory cargo-door triangle and factory tie-down points in right rear cargo area(HUGE thanks to Russ at Racetech Motorsports for the professional help in taking my cardboard templates and running with them and helping me fab all of these bits, really allowed me to stay on schedule for the trip; http://www.racetechmotorsports.com/custom-metal-fab);
IMG_1889-vi.jpg

IMG_1924-vi.jpg

Then I purchased 4 4gal RotoPax(got incredibly lucky and they had a surplus of black from a custom order--ssssstealthy remember!) and mocked up a custom tank holder to mount to the cargo door. Russ took my double latch/hinged top idea and came up with a sweet single rod/latch which uses one lock vs two. Mounting the 4 cans in spout-first means that no one can siphon the fuel from them. The hinged top also acts as a step(so back to the ladder...with no spare tire on the cargo door, and no easy way to hop a foot onto this custom fuel can holder, AND desiring a sano way to run the wiring down from the rack to under the truck and up thru the factory battery hole, I went with G-Wagen Accessories ladder which unobtrusively mounts to the truck and has a wiring conduit hole down it for the rack wiring. Climb up the ladder, put a left foot on the fuel can holder, and into the RTT you go. As well, the upper ladder mount was a straightforward place to mount the Rigid D2). The fuel can holder was a bit challenging in how to securely mount it but not have the cans rub on the 3 mounting fasteners. This is where Russ' experience came in handy with the aluminum "buffers" he constructed on the "backbone" inner side of the holder. Since it was just easier to order one big sheet of 3/16" alum for all of this custom fab, the holder ended up being heavier at 21lbs than either of us would have liked, but I was under a strict timeline to get this done before the trip. 1/8" sides would have been optimal, as well as finishing the lightening process we started with the hole cut-outs;
IMG_1883-vi.jpg

IMG_1891-vi.jpg

Bunch of the misc custom fab'd bits from 3/16" 5052 aluminum, before heading off for satin black powdercoat;
IMG_1890-vi.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Items back from powder;
IMG_1915-vi.jpg

Rear all complete;
IMG_1928-vi.jpg

Finally loaded and leaving for our trip(trip report to come). Borrowed Mike's Warn winch for the trip just in case, thankfully we didn't need it;
IMG_1943-vi.jpg

Back to the Rigid E-50. Here's my Nolden bi-LED headlights(which I thought originally were pretty damn bright on low/high, much brighter than the OEM ZKW lamps with PIAA NightTech halogen bulbs) on low beam;
IMG_1969-vi.jpg

Nolden's on low beam with the Rigid E-50 on;
IMG_1966-vi.jpg

This picture doesn't do real life justice. This bar is so incredibly bright....but after driving with such good light you (albeit sadly) get used to it and desire even MORE light on the road, but that's what the daytime is for).

Proof that this G gets some use(on Skutumpah Rd in UT--which we found out the next day had been deemed Impassible by the BLM...yeah, was not easy with that sloppy mud);
DSCN0712-vi.jpg

DSCN0714_mod-vi.jpg

In Bryce Canyon at dusk;
DSC_7710-vi.jpg

Remainder of trip was fantastic; Grand Canyon, Perkinsville Rd to Jerome, Senator Hwy to Crown King and Prescott, Overland Journal and Adventure Trailer (big thanks to Christophe and Martin for taking the time to show us around!), Old Mojave Road, Death Valley, etc.

That's it for updates for now. I will post more once I make some changes to the cargo area.

Last edited:

Capo

Happy Camper
What an Excellent build, congrats!

I'm learning a lot. I must definitely get a hold of a set of Nolden lights and perhaps a ceiling cargo net.

I like your attention to detail and the all through stealth philosophy.

RBA

Adventurer
Great work (as usual) Jeremy!

I'm picking up my 463 from Seattle on the 20th of January and driving it down to Cali. If I can swing it...maybe I'll stop by for some work. :)

Capo

Happy Camper
I see that even your detachable tools have received the mat black stealth look. It's very aesthetic but if you need to use them at night it will be a nightmare keeping track of them. Perhaps some fluorescent markings? If not maybe a spray paint which is only fluorescent when exposed to certain light frequencies and transparent in natural light?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What an Excellent build, congrats!

I'm learning a lot. I must definitely get a hold of a set of Nolden lights and perhaps a ceiling cargo net.

I like your attention to detail and the all through stealth philosophy.

Thanks Capo! I appreciate detail and like things to remain stealthy and low key.
The Nolden bi-LED's have been doing very well. PM me if you're interested in a set. Front Runner makes the ceiling cargo net kit. My friend Tony(helped me with the wiring) is a FR dealer if you want to give him your biz. PM me and I can give you his contact info.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great work (as usual) Jeremy!

I'm picking up my 463 from Seattle on the 20th of January and driving it down to Cali. If I can swing it...maybe I'll stop by for some work. :)

Thanks RBA!
Oooh, more details on yours please. I'd love for you to stop by and say hello at least. We're literally 1block east of I-5 so it'd be an easy stop. LMK!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I see that even your detachable tools have received the mat black stealth look. It's very aesthetic but if you need to use them at night it will be a nightmare keeping track of them. Perhaps some fluorescent markings? If not maybe a spray paint which is only fluorescent when exposed to certain light frequencies and transparent in natural light?

Yes, very good point, and great idea. I have my bright orange Maxtrax "tell tale" leashes I can strap around the handle of the shovel. The axe I don't intend to misplace.

Capo

Happy Camper
Yes, very good point, and great idea. I have my bright orange Maxtrax "tell tale" leashes I can strap around the handle of the shovel. The axe I don't intend to misplace.

Good idea with visible leashes, must bring some to Zimbabwe next time (I don't drive to Zim in my rig, it's my Zimbabwean friend's Cruiser). We've lost some axes and machetes and what not in the bush at night. It happens when you are many crew on the same rig. The syndrome goes like this - "What? You had the axe LAST. I thought YOU put it back on the cruiser!"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Good idea with visible leashes, must bring some to Zimbabwe next time (I don't drive to Zim in my rig, it's my Zimbabwean friend's Cruiser). We've lost some axes and machetes and what not in the bush at night. It happens when you are many crew on the same rig. The syndrome goes like this - "What? You had the axe LAST. I thought YOU put it back on the cruiser!"

Haha, I could definitely see that happening!

RBA

Adventurer
Thanks RBA!
Oooh, more details on yours please. I'd love for you to stop by and say hello at least. We're literally 1block east of I-5 so it'd be an easy stop. LMK!

Well, I sold my '02 a few months ago and finally found a '05 Grand Edition in Capri Blue with 62K miles on it in Seattle.

I need to give some more thought as to what I want to do but I know that lights is one thing I definitely want. I currently have a LR4 with bi-xenon lights so going back to the Gwagen headlights is going to suck.

The new truck has a brush guard and I was thinking of having a Rigid LED light bar installed on it somehow.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well, I sold my '02 a few months ago and finally found a '05 Grand Edition in Capri Blue with 62K miles on it in Seattle.

I need to give some more thought as to what I want to do but I know that lights is one thing I definitely want. I currently have a LR4 with bi-xenon lights so going back to the Gwagen headlights is going to suck.

The new truck has a brush guard and I was thinking of having a Rigid LED light bar installed on it somehow.

Awesome, congrats!
Yes, once you go with bi-xenon's or bi-LED's, the stock halogens(which I never understood MBZ included halogens on such an expensive truck anyways!) are poor. The only issue with the LED's is if you drive in a lot of snow/ice, the LED's are so cool they won't melt the snow/ice.

It'd be pretty straight forward to do a Rigid bar on top of the lower horizontal bar, where the 2 fasteners are pre-installed for aux light location. I've of course noticed in the fog/blizzard snow my 50" makes driving much more difficult, so I'd need to add a Rigid on the brush guard with an amber cover for fog use. Thankfully it's usually not that foggy in OR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh