O'erlanderwagen build

Capo

Happy Camper
What a nice engine room, sweet installation!

A six cylinder diesel is a great configuration for overlanding, easy access around the engine and good power.

Yep, mine is a 400, a four litre twin turbo V8 diesel with an engine chip for a wider and stronger torque curve. It also has a chip for the gearbox providing three different gear changing programs depending on the circumstances. On complicated terrain I change gears manually though, particularly on sand dunes and on snow. With manual gear shifting you easily keep the engine on boost for smooth constant torque. Falling off boost and coming back on again gives a too hefty torque delivery which is bad for traction on delicate ground. The power delivery lag is for me the great draw back with turbo charging for off-roading but it's a fuel efficient way of getting loads of power. Turbos are great uphill and for pulling trailers as the massive exhaust flow spools up the turbos for maximum torque on virtually all rev ranges. When it's time to overhaul the turbos I'll look for variable geometry turbo chargers. That paired with a good mapping should almost eliminate the lag I hope.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What a nice engine room, sweet installation!

A six cylinder diesel is a great configuration for overlanding, easy access around the engine and good power.

Yep, mine is a 400, a four litre twin turbo V8 diesel with an engine chip for a wider and stronger torque curve. It also has a chip for the gearbox providing three different gear changing programs depending on the circumstances. On complicated terrain I change gears manually though, particularly on sand dunes and on snow. With manual gear shifting you easily keep the engine on boost for smooth constant torque. Falling off boost and coming back on again gives a too hefty torque delivery which is bad for traction on delicate ground. The power delivery lag is for me the great draw back with turbo charging for off-roading but it's a fuel efficient way of getting loads of power. Turbos are great uphill and for pulling trailers as the massive exhaust flow spools up the turbos for maximum torque on virtually all rev ranges. When it's time to overhaul the turbos I'll look for variable geometry turbo chargers. That paired with a good mapping should almost eliminate the lag I hope.

Have you upgraded to a larger diameter exhaust? That should help the turbo spool quicker.

swb

Observer
I am thinking of putting a turbo on my OM606 n/a but I will wait for it to come back from its final tuneup after the conversion (this week) It could do with a little more torque, especially when towing.
However its a sweet if revvy motor. The n/a includes the piston oil squirters and I have been told a low-boost (5psi) turbo, using a OM605 unit without an intercooler, is the way to go.

I wanted to keep in non-turbo for its simplicy and lack of heat (in a pretty hot country) but turbo's are so suited to diesels...

I will also work better if I go to the 5-speed auto, which is being researched...

Also being 100% mechanical its not too fussy about fuel quality.

Capo

Happy Camper
Have you upgraded to a larger diameter exhaust? That should help the turbo spool quicker.

Good idea, thanks!

i was thinking of eliminating the last silencer but your idea makes more sense. I will look around.

shmabs

Explorer
Jeremy,

The G is looking awesome as usual, and I'm drooling over the fab work. I look forward to a trip report! Hope all is well!

Mike

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Good idea, thanks!

i was thinking of eliminating the last silencer but your idea makes more sense. I will look around.

Definitely start with the downpipe--I bet you'd gain quite a bit of power simply by increasing it's size to 3".....if not increasing the entire exhaust from downpipe-back to 3".

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy,

The G is looking awesome as usual, and I'm drooling over the fab work. I look forward to a trip report! Hope all is well!

Mike

Thanks Mike! The fab work came together very nicely. You remember meeting Russ(next door) when you stopped by right?

LMK when you're moving to PDX. :)

shmabs

Explorer
I do remember Russ, talented dude! Still working on getting myself north, the gov is taking forever (who would have guessed?!?!?)

Mike

cols110

Observer
There aren't, because the G is more of a rare bird compared to a Toyota LandCruiser or HiLux. :(

Off the shelf options are;
-ORC (petrol or diesel)
-Front Runner (diesel only)
-Custom using AlanM's schematics for the one he built for his diesel
-Totally custom design of your own

2 90L's(23.8gal's) standard--jealous!

Does anyone know why the Frontrunner tank is diesel only?

cols110

Observer
As I was told by them, because they don't have many petrol G's in S. Africa, so they don't figure they'll sell many petrol aux tanks.

Yes but functionally there should be little or any difference, my thoughts is the aux tank is probably only designed to fit the Pro series which are all diesel and not the 463's which are a mix of petrol & diesel. The only other functional reason I could think of is that the diesel & petrol fuel pumps are different. With most electric pumps being cooled by the fuel there may be a difference in the pump build spec's to take into account the different flash points of petrol & diesel. As an aux tanks pump will almost always run dry every time it pumps the fuel from the aux to main tank.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes but functionally there should be little or any difference, my thoughts is the aux tank is probably only designed to fit the Pro series which are all diesel and not the 463's which are a mix of petrol & diesel. The only other functional reason I could think of is that the diesel & petrol fuel pumps are different. With most electric pumps being cooled by the fuel there may be a difference in the pump build spec's to take into account the different flash points of petrol & diesel. As an aux tanks pump will almost always run dry every time it pumps the fuel from the aux to main tank.

I agree it would have been smart for FR to have made a "universal" aux tank for both petrol and diesel G's, and then have a specific petrol accessory and diesel accessory kit to accompany the aux tank; the user buys whatever specific fuel-related kit they need. But alas, I'm not a FR business advisor. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad