Offroad (camp) espresso

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Espresso,

My question to the Espresso guru’s, I like a typical kettle for my camp kit but feel space could be save by using a Bialetti or similar 9 cup stove top espresso maker. The question is espresso be made and then water added to mimic a full cup of coffee? Because we cant run around with a travel mug full of espresso ……………..TIMMY! What can be done with these sleek units? I prefer cappuccino to coffee anyway and certain that could be made in the feel with some imagination but perhaps I’m thinking outside of my box and into some one else’s.

Aaron

grobinson

Adventurer
All you need for espresso:

aluminum-stovetop-espresso-maker-1-cup.jpg

stove211.jpg

Simple, compact, and tasty.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Starbucks like places sell an 'Americano', espresso diluted with hot water instead of milk. I've never tried it, so can't say how it compares with a good drip.

I also have Moka pot (as shown), but so far have only drunk it straight.

Have you tried Vietnamese style coffee - a relatively strong, robust drip with sweetened condensed milk?

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Because we cant run around with a travel mug full of espresso ……………..

Says who? :coffeedrink:

Sure you could water down your bialetti coffee americano style, it would be fine.

I like it straight out from the pot myself, it's a nice tasty brew.

voyageur

Adventurer
I bought one...

I bought an AeroPress from another forum member. It is great. We used our Jet Boil coffee press for a long time but the flavor wasn't as good as the Aero. Very simple to use and very, very easy to clean-up, It comes with a nice carrying case, that makes it easy to toss in your glove-compartment, backpack, kayak or pannier...

We are pleased with the purchase and love the coffee.

Disclaimer: Garbage in - garbage out. Good beans (or ground) coffee makes the biggest difference...

H,B,

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm sticking with a stove top design gentlemen so that I can use it on my various small stoves and my CP 18" as well.

A

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm not an espresso feller, I just started drinking coffee not too long ago. So forgive me for being ignorant. Wouldn't a french press with extra strong coffee (a finer grind, and more of it) be pretty good?

I think a true espresso uses a certain amount of pressure to compress the grounds into a little hockey puck, then to force the hot water through. There was a Good Eats episode about it a while back, but my memory is fuzzy. A little more coffee will fix that.

AKRover

Adventurer
Can someone explain the Vietnamese and condensed milk coffee method? I love my coffee but I am not familiar with this method.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Thoroughly tested just about every form of espresso and/or moka makers out there. Although I carry the Handpresso when space is an issue the Presso gets the bulk of the espresso work. And unlike most of the moka pots it is super easy and quick to clean after many shots have gone through it!

Probably 1,000 shots through it since buying it when it was first introduced going on 2-years ago. It just works great. At the suggestion of a friend of mine I bought a Pelican case for it and all my little supplies to keep everything together and protected. Along with a Jetboil we have espresso, cappuccino, lattes, etc. wherever we travel.

http://pressoamerica.com/

Attachments

• Presso.jpg
    Presso.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 103

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk