Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

stomperxj

Explorer
Hey all -

I've been taking it easy with the trailer lately. Had some Jeep problems and have been in physical therapy for some tendonitis. Plus it has been pretty cold lately too and with no heat in the garage its not too fun...

I do have a small update. I actually did this a while ago but forgot to post the pics. I got a couple hinges done and mounted them up and hung a door.

nfLspUI.jpg

sUW9V19.jpg

I am doing a super clean on the garage this weekend so hopefully I'll have more updates soon...

Last edited:

scarydriver

Observer
Hey stomperxj -

I've been lurking on this site for a while now, and following your build, but I just had to sign up to let you know how impressive your build is! I love the design, and your craftsmanship is top-notch!

I'd sure like to build something similar one day... but I don't have any wood-working experience... :(

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting updates! Good luck!

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks Scarydriver - believe it or not, I didnt have a whole lot of wood experience before i started this build. A key part of it all is having the right tools. A router and a good quality table saw are the two most important tools i have used on this whole build (besides a tape measure and a pencil of course :) ). Thanks for the compliments. You should go buy some wood and start practicing... ;)

Hopefully I'll have some updates soon...

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
stomperxj said:
Hey all -

I've been taking it easy with the trailer lately. Had some Jeep problems and have been in physical therapy for some tendonitis. Plus it has been pretty cold lately too and with no heat in the garage its not too fun...

I do have a small update. I actually did this a while ago but forgot to post the pics. I got a couple hinges done and mounted them up and hung a door.

sm-00463.jpg

sm-00464.jpg

sm-00461.jpg

sm-00465.jpg

sm-00469.jpg

sm-00468.jpg

sm-00472.jpg

I am doing a super clean on the garage this weekend so hopefully I'll have more updates soon...

Looking better all the time. Sorry to hear about the Jeep problems and the tendonitis. That doesn't sound like much fun at all. It looks like the one bolt hoile for the hinge falls in the area where the wall was carved out for the foam. What are your plans there? Keep up the good work and pray for a heat wave.

mike

stomperxj

Explorer
GeoTracker90 said:
It looks like the one bolt hole for the hinge falls in the area where the wall was carved out for the foam. What are your plans there?
Thanks Mike - I think I'm going to just cut off the last hole on that side of the hinge. I forgot to take into account the insulation pockets when i was drawing up the hinges... oops :)

tommudd

Explorer
stomperxj said:
Thanks Mike - I think I'm going to just cut off the last hole on that side of the hinge. I forgot to take into account the insulation pockets when i was drawing up the hinges... oops :)

Those little .."oops" are what make it a custom build and adds character! Great build, keep on posting!!!!!!!!! Been putting off building one for three years , but with yours well under way makes me want to drag everything back out and start again

Tom

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
stomperxj said:

Not realy an oops, just a design modification to deal with the existing materials.

Mike

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
stomperxj said:

(Deep Breath)
Wouldn't it just be easier to glue in a block of wood where the foam is
sm-00469.jpg

(after you carve the little section of foam out first of course) and go ahead and mount the capture nut. I think it would be a shame to destroy the symetry of the hinge.

Great job. Really enjoying following your procresses.

Curtis in Texas

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Curtis in Texas said:
(Deep Breath)
Wouldn't it just be easier to glue in a block of wood where the foam is
[
(after you carve the little section of foam out first of course) and go ahead and mount the capture nut. I think it would be a shame to destroy the symetry of the hinge.

Great job. Really enjoying following your procresses.

Curtis in Texas

I agree. Even easier would be to put the captive nut in the foam. It wouldn't add anything structurally but would look good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3