Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Outstanding.

I think I'm becoming a trailer-haulic.
I want one of every trailer I see these days.....:drool:

ginericLC

Adventurer
Wow! And you are so close to me too. Would you be up to a tour of the factory? Seriously, I'd love to see this thing in person.

rfseabc

Observer
Nice work... Have you ever entertained the thought of making two at once, I am sure you could sell one in a heart beat, I know I would be interested at the right price point. Again... beautiful work, the quality shows, nice joinery work.
Thanks for sharing.

stomperxj

Explorer
adrenaline503 said:
How are you going to conform the outer skin to the bends?
I am going to try the kerf cutting method on the back of the 1/4" ply and maybe use hot water or steam too... We'll see how that goes. Wish me luck :)

Backwoods Rambler said:
Seriously Jess.....VERY COOL! Inspiration really.....:costumed-smiley-007
Correus said:
You are doing an AWESOME job!!
Hilldweller said:
Outstanding.
I think I'm becoming a trailer-haulic.
I want one of every trailer I see these days.....
Funrover said:
Looks to be coming along great!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks for the nice comments guys... I really appreciate it...

ginericLC said:
Wow! And you are so close to me too. Would you be up to a tour of the factory? Seriously, I'd love to see this thing in person.

Its not much of a factory but you can come out any time. Where are you? Send me a PM for my phone number...

sseaman said:
Nice work on the curved pieces, how hard was it to get the pocket holes on those pieces?

Not too bad. I put the kreg jig and the rib in my bench vise. That made it pretty easy...

rfseabc said:
Nice work... Have you ever entertained the thought of making two at once, I am sure you could sell one in a heart beat, I know I would be interested at the right price point. Again... beautiful work, the quality shows, nice joinery work.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks a lot :) I am already thinking about the next one, things i would change and how to do it more efficiently. What is a good asking price for something like this?

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I really appreciate it :)

rfseabc

Observer
I do not think you will have a problem with the skin using 1/4" ply, depending on the quality used. http://www.marineply.com/stagflex.htm You might also look at door skins. A friend of mine, up in B.C. uses them extensively in making boats up there. In regard to price structure... Hmmm... I am sure the first, ( prototype ) would be very expensive indeed, if you could turn your learning curve hours into dollars. Having said that, I am sure you could pump out a couple more that would pay for your individual rig. I started out in my constructing career building boats and progressed to commercial construction and real estate. My son builds custom furniture, when he builds a piece, he creates five, it is not that much more in time, than one, and the other four are gravy. I am an old fart now, and am looking at an off road tear drop for fly fishing expeditions. There is obviously a nice little niche market for these rigs, and in my opinion that market will only grow in time with our new economic realities. I look forward to following your progress, Pm me with some figures, I would be the perfect marketing tool cruising around the PNW and Canada advertising your rig. Good luck and keep up the good work.

ginericLC

Adventurer
I'm in Mountain Home. I'll PM you about a visit. My dad will be here if a few weeks for a visit. He'd totally be into this as he's a woodworker and has built boats.

1/4" should flex enough. Another idea that would last a long time and be flexible is skate ramp decking. http://www.skatelite.com/home.html There are other brands and products that are similar.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
Eric, let me know when you go over; might tag along. Haven't seen Jess since we were in Snake River Canyon Krawlers club together.

Neat trailer. I'm working on a slightly different way of skinning the same cat... fiberglass over foam construction, drawers in the bottom, and sleeping area on top rather than underneath. Keeps all the heavy stuff low and allows the sleeping area and trailer to be modular, and no wheel wells in sleeping area, 70x80. oh, and it's sized around 35" tires.

I'm only on like my 4th itteration of construction - probably another 2 before I start, but it's nice to see how well your's is turning out for inspiration....

Attachments

• camper top.jpg
    camper top.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 347
  • drawers open.jpg
    drawers open.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 259
  • top 1.jpg
    top 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 264

Forum statistics

Threads