Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

Joanne

Adventurer
Jess!

I've been meaning to post a quick note but just haven't gotten around to it. Now I get the chance to say GREAT JOB!!. I really like the way that you've developed the overall shape. It's angular without looking boxy at all.

Your CAD work is great too. (That's Cardboard Aided Design) :D Seriously though, mocking up the various spaces lets you make needed adjustments before you start cutting wood.

Congratulations on all your hard work. You are going to have a great looking trailer.

Joanne

Last edited:

Jeep-5O

compactcamping said:
I use CPES on many solid and plywood projects. When I apply it I use the cheapy throw away chip brushes.

For a durable top coat finish I like to use a roll-on bedliner material called Durabak. On plywood trailer boxes the textured finish is great at hiding minor surface imperfections. I've had a test panel with Durabak on unseal Okoume plywood out in the weather for almost a year now. No sign of problems or peeling. If it makes it another winter without peeling, I might stop doing the CPES seal coat when using Durabak.

I just ordered my Durabak in textured for the bed and smooth for the sides of my M416...... can't wait to try it out!

stomperxj

Explorer
VE2WHZ said:
what do you want to put on the outside ???
I am going to skin the top with 1/4" plywood and then epoxy coat, prime and paint it...

TheGillz said:
Jess!! well done, that looks awesome. I am out of funds and other things are taking up my winter time, I have cabin fever already. Looking great.
Thanks Clark... I am excited about the progress... I need to come check out your trailer now that the powder coat is done... It looks really good :)

Joanne said:
Jess!

I've been meaning to post a quick not but just haven't gotten around to it. Now I get the chance to say GREAT JOB!!. I really like the way that you've developed the overall shape. It's angular without looking boxy at all.

Your CAD work is great too. (That's Cardboard Aided Design) :D Seriously though, mocking up the various spaces lets you make needed adjustments before you start cutting wood.

Congratulations on all your hard work. You are going to have a great looking trailer.

Joanne
Thanks a lot Joanne - I went through all your pics of the Desert Dawg several times during my design and planning. Its quite the inspiration. Mine will not be quite as fancy as yours but it will have 12v and a few lights...

Thanks again :)

compactcamping

Explorer
Jeep-50, for a semi-textured finish on places like trailer sides or inside a vehicle, I put down a textured coat first, then put one or two smooth coats over it.

stomperxj

Explorer
More progress. I have the entire skeleton glued and screwed now and I had a momentous occasion today. I cut a door out... :wings: Pretty excited about that. I rough cut the opening with the jig saw and then edge trimmed it with the router. I also love my Kreg jig too. makes framing go pretty quick. Laying down in there is really comfortable. There is a ton of room. I'm really happy with the interior dimensions. Those 1x2 roof spars were pretty flimsy so i tied them together with some diagonal braces and it stiffened them up a lot. I'm not worried about the roof flexing at all now.

1rJeGZF.jpg

4BUvPPI.jpg

j0zxhOC.jpg

T4DuPhS.jpg

suqsTkT.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm hoping to get some more done this weekend

Attachments

• sm-00322.jpg
    sm-00322.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Got some more done yesterday and today. I cut the front ribs from 1x2's and glued and screwed them. Then i decided to take it for a tow around my neighborhood to see how it tracks...

ddYDi94.jpg

t2nAYU1.jpg

dYmj0qb.jpg

Itslz4P.jpg

UOzGIJs.jpg

JYeP3zh.jpg

AGi741S.jpg

Thanks for looking

Jess

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads