Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

stomperxj

Explorer
Made some good progress this weekend. The entire bulkhead/galley got mocked in place and i got the front bulkheads cut out as well. I threw the foam back in to check room... its quite roomy on the inside...

On to the pics:

jv93Rek.jpg

yvBTNGj.jpg

vEkyH2M.jpg

The lower galley bulkhead sits in a routed slot on the bottom of the counter and in the floor deck:

PCsZv2x.jpg

I am making a few of changes on the fly but everything seems to be coming together...

More later......

Jess

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks Mike & miller_au

preacherman said:
Do you always do woodworking with a gun?? Man what kind of neighborhood do you live in? JK
Yeah rough neighborhood... :) not really. I do carry every day though. That is where it will sit when I am sleeping after this thing is done... :)

Jeep-5O

Talking about sealing the wood, I built a Teardrop a couple of years ago and used Rot Doctor CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) as a base coat to seal the wood and paint over.

I was really impressed with the product...

You can read about it here http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

I sold the trailer about three years after building it (couldn't pass up the offer) and it looked good as new.

stomperxj

Explorer
Jeep-5O said:
..... Rot Doctor CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) as a base coat to seal....

Yes Jeep-5O... That's what i'm going to use too. All i hear are good things about it... How did you apply it? Roller? Spray? How big was your trailer and how much did you use? How many coats?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I did'nt bother reading the link, but I built both a wooden bath and shower cubical out of plywood in my UK house and simply used standard fiberglass resin with a color additive

Put on with a foam roller......I think I put two coats as the first soaked in
rough up with sand paper and then the second for a prettier finish.

Mind you foam rollers disolve in resin.....

It goes on thick........5 years and still no leaks.....2 adults and 2 kids

1 bathroom

Jeep-5O

stomperxj said:
Yes Jeep-5O... That's what i'm going to use too. All i hear are good things about it... How did you apply it? Roller? Spray? How big was your trailer and how much did you use? How many coats?

To apply it, I used an old large horsehair (I think it was anyway) brush from the tools I inherited from my grandfather. I first tried using a large foam brush (without reading the directions first) and melted it.

The trailer was built on a 6' x 10' trailer frame. I used two coats with a light sanding in between. The first coat penetrated right into the Baltic Birch I was using then the second coat seemed to kind of "float" onto the first coat.

compactcamping

Explorer
I use CPES on many solid and plywood projects. When I apply it I use the cheapy throw away chip brushes.

For a durable top coat finish I like to use a roll-on bedliner material called Durabak. On plywood trailer boxes the textured finish is great at hiding minor surface imperfections. I've had a test panel with Durabak on unseal Okoume plywood out in the weather for almost a year now. No sign of problems or peeling. If it makes it another winter without peeling, I might stop doing the CPES seal coat when using Durabak.

Attachments

• durabak-closeup.jpg
    durabak-closeup.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 168

stomperxj

Explorer
Major mockup work today. I got the rest of the 3/4 cut so i threw it all together...

It looks pretty close to the 3D model. Almost like I planned it that way :)

9iWjxVj.jpg

XL9KXFL.jpg

Looks small from the outside

There's enough room for my friend and both our kids in there comfortably. Not to sleep of course but for getting out of the weather to play cards or whatever the 4 of us fit fine...

eqa3gW4.jpg

Some more routing and predrilling all the holes this weekend and i should be ready to glue and screw the main parts together soon...

I'm excited to get this far...

Jess

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks Jeep-5O for the CPES info... I'm not sure how much i will order but that gets me a better idea...

compactcamping said:
I use CPES on many solid and plywood projects. When I apply it I use the cheapy throw away chip brushes.

For a durable top coat finish I like to use a roll-on bedliner material called Durabak. On plywood trailer boxes the textured finish is great at hiding minor surface imperfections. I've had a test panel with Durabak on unseal Okoume plywood out in the weather for almost a year now. No sign of problems or peeling. If it makes it another winter without peeling, I might stop doing the CPES seal coat when using Durabak.
Thanks CC - I think i'm going to use some kind of bed liner on the bottom too. I used that Duplicolor stuff but I'm not sure if i'll do that again or not. I wasnt 1--% happy with it...

Last edited:

compactcamping

Explorer
Smith and Company is the actually manufacturer of CPES. You can purchase it directly from them or they can connect you with the closes place that stocks it.

Here are coverage results of mine to help gauge how much you need. Pine and Fir plywood will be similar. Different plywoods have different absorption rates. Radiata Pine sucked up three times as much as Okoume did. A 24 sq ft area of Radiata Pine took 18 oz on the first coat and 6 oz on the second coat. A 49 sq ft area of Okoume took 20 oz on the first coat and 6 oz on the second coat.

Of my trying Herciliner(sp?), Durlicolor and Durabak, I had the best results with Durabak and continue to use it. I like the color chooses, textured or smooth finish, and the extra UV protection option.

VE2WHZ

Adventurer
Hi jess

is very goo made !!! :yikes:

please shoot more pic :REOutShootinghunter

i planed to bild this similar trailer ...

what do you want to put on the outside ???

fiber galss or aluminum or other ??

Pascal from quebec

TheGillz

Explorer
Jess!! well done, that looks awesome. I am out of funds and other things are taking up my winter time, I have cabin fever already. Looking great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3