Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

walking eagle said:
....drawers in the bottom, and sleeping area on top rather than underneath. Keeps all the heavy stuff low and allows the sleeping area and trailer to be modular, and no wheel wells in sleeping area....

Good thinking. I wonder if there's enough room to haul enough weight to make a big difference though.

Backwoods Rambler said:
Good thinking. I wonder if there's enough room to haul enough weight to make a big difference though.

Probably will make more of a difference on mine since the trailer will be up on 35's, truck is already on 35's and will likely be on 36's or 37's by spring. An extra bit with it being modular is that I can haul just the trialer part without the sleeping part and use a rooftop tent - or a traditional tent and put a couple canoes or bikes - use that part more like an AT Adventure Trailer. Though both the AT and the Tentrax have the disadvantage of not being able to get to your stuff with the tent up. Course, I've also never gotton the trailer being narrow and the wheels being 100% on the outside of those either.

Foam and fiberglass should be lighter than wood. and with the spaceframe should be less weight in the steel for the trailer part too. I've already made some consessions and gotton rid of some complex angles, and might rid myself of one more anlge just in the interest of ease of construction.

If it turns out as nice as stomperxj's is looking, I'll be happy

stomperxj

Explorer
Cool trailer.... I'm not trying to be a jerk here at all but you should start your own thread to discuss your trailer...

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
walking eagle said:
Though both the AT and the Tentrax have the disadvantage of not being able to get to your stuff with the tent up.

Sorry, you are mistaken about the AT. There is clear access even with tent deployed. There is als a tail gate at the rear if you do not want to disturb the tent occupant.

Attachments

• CIMG1177.jpg
    CIMG1177.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 511
  • CIMG1179.jpg
    CIMG1179.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 599

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:arabia: -As a note:

You're also mistaken, about MY TENTRAX

I can unload/upload, while the tent is inflating/deflating, fully set-up, or completely ignored

:shakin: :gunt: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

stomperxj

Explorer
So I got some stuff done the last few days. The second door is cut out, the front window is cut out, insulation is in... About the insulation; I didn't know this but apparently 1/2" rigid pink foam insulation is 9/16" thick :( I glued the foam in and then decided to shave it all down with a 40 grit disc on my D/A sander. It worked quite well but now i have pink foam dust on EVERYTHING... it vacuums up ok but it got everywhere still. On to the pics:

fZGdFh0.jpg

jJ2yQkP.jpg

STsgtbn.jpg

wImZSRk.jpg

TtukjgQ.jpg

That's it for now... more soon I hope. It snowed here today so I think winter has finally begun....

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
sseaman said:
Nice progress, boy that foam looks like a mess
Yes it was a pain and still is... all the pink dust clogged my shop vac too :)

etVxX2D.jpg

Ivm77MO.jpg

FfOILiy.jpg

KQYDVEa.jpg

I got some more done today. The weatherstrip rings are cut out and i routed a door too so I could check fitment...

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
All the hinges I found that I liked were way too expensive (in the $30 each range) so I ran over to dads shop and made up some hinge plates tonight. I'm making my own out of 1/8" steel plate and some weld on hinges from McMaster Carr (item #1071A22)

68niYWl.jpg

Ia9m3Pf.jpg

nfLspUI.jpg

More later :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3