OK4WD Daily Driver / Overland Rubicon

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
After some fine tuning of the compression and rebound I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality and handling for my "heavy" JKU. With the additional weight of a RTT, fridge, camping gear & vehicle bumpers the AEV Bilstein 5100's just felt a bit soft on the highway and during low speed offset bumps. This was remedied with raising the compression to 7 and the rebound to 6 on the new rear shocks. The fronts have still been left at the original OME factory settings for now.

We will be headed to the Catskill mountains of New York State this weekend for a company get together trail and camping event where the setup will see some highway and trail time and final adjustments can be made. More to come!

Last edited:

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
After some fine tuning of the compression and rebound I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality and handling for my "heavy" JKU. With the additional weight of a RTT, fridge, camping gear & vehicle bumpers the AEV Bilstein 5100's just felt a bit soft on the highway and during low speed offset bumps. This was remedied with raising the compression to 7 and the rebound to 6 on the new rear shocks. The fronts have still been left at the original OME factory settings for now.

We will be headed to the Catskill mountains of New York State this weekend for a company get together trail and camping event where the setup will see some highway and trail time and final adjustments can be made. More to come!

My 5100s feel too soft with just a tank of a rear bumper, Gobi rack, and some daily carry tools, I can't even imagine how soft it would be with your setup... Drooling over the new suspension though :drool: have a great weekend in NY, weather should be great!

daveh

Adventurer
Looks awesome Rin. I was wondering what you would be adding next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

My 5100s feel too soft with just a tank of a rear bumper, Gobi rack, and some daily carry tools, I can't even imagine how soft it would be with your setup... Drooling over the new suspension though :drool: have a great weekend in NY, weather should be great!

Thanks man and I know we actually got lucky for once with the weather! :) November can be a tricky month haha

rino

Looks awesome Rin. I was wondering what you would be adding next!

I seems to never end haha. This winter will be time to change my axle gears and really buckle down on a rear storage solution (goose gear).

daveh

Adventurer
I seems to never end haha. This winter will be time to change my axle gears and really buckle down on a rear storage solution (goose gear).

I'm considering a gear swap also. Looking forward to your update/review once you get them in and tested.

rino

This past weekend we had a company get together at N.O.R.A. to check out their training program and enjoy some camping. This was the perfect test for the OME BP51's, as the only change made between VOR and now. Immediately the difference was undeniable on the 2hr highway trip up, with speeds ranging from 65-80mph. With the rear BP-51's tuned to 7 on compression and 7 on rebound the added weight of the rooftop tent, fridge and gear no longer compromised highway ride quality.

When it came down to trails I did not know what to expect, so I was prepared with my adjustment wrench and blanket to fine tune the settings for trail riding. Typically with the Jeep loaded for camping I would keep the Rubicon sway bar locked up front to cut down on the side to side rocking over obstacles, but decided to leave it un locked and see if how the Jeep performed now with the added compression and rebound. The result blew me away, no more side to side rocking with the sway bar discounted and even my fiancé commented on how "smooth" the Jeep felt. :) Throughout the day I did not even have the urge to adjust the shocks, the Jeep handled honestly better than ever before and I may be bias but I cannot recall a better off-road experience with a JK suspension setup. I truly believe hands down that the AEV 3.5" x OME BP-51 x JKS Trac Bar is the holy trinity for the JKU.

27A35345-DC90-400A-B188-BF62735FF561_zpsudtisyhs.jpg

97846C86-2F1C-48E8-95BC-7D361FA0F2D2_zpsupyxdbv3.jpg

42A427DB-140D-419B-9AA0-317A235B2F43_zpswocwocii.jpg

5AB16551-C5E3-430C-81DA-8B3B161CDE37.png_zpszd9ceybd.jpeg

F3F36A26-FB3D-4BA5-922C-F070B40AB2F5.png_zpsjwsjj42s.jpeg

46DF0814-CC27-4E28-8095-C103893589C2_zpsg4qz7m0t.jpg

greggNJ

Observer
I just came across this thread and read through the whole thing. Very nice setup you have. If I'm ever in the area I'll stop by and check out your shop.

rino

Removed my James Baroud RTT for the winter and played on some trails at the farm :) I have a few little pieces to add in the next coming days including new Maxtrax roof rack mounts from Rhino Rack for my AEV rack and some Factor55 goodies.

F1092CD4-B832-487C-86D1-914E9386E9DD_zpsr4war5gx.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online