OME vs ICON / Radflo

ExpeditionFj

I also have a 2008 fj cruiser set up for expeditions and I started with the RC 3" lift. After a while my front end started to sink more and more with the weight of bumper and winch and after replacing the shocks a few time through the warranty I decided to change them. I replaced the front with ICON coil overs and rear with fox piggy backs and its being the best so far. If you need more information and pictures pm your email.

shack

Adventurer
I'd love to hitch a ride in an Icon setup. I think thats the only way I'm going to figure this out.

You aren't Landy from the blue room, are ya?

kpd1999

I hate to dig up such an old tread BUT I'm in the exact same boat and will probably need to make a decision between Icons and OME this week (I have a '10 4 Runner trail). Any updates/advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarnerD9

Builder
I hate to dig up such an old tread BUT I'm in the exact same boat and will probably need to make a decision between Icons and OME this week (I have a '10 4 Runner trail). Any updates/advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 2011 trail that's highly modified and I've run both on it. First off, both are great so you can't go wrong.

OME - bargain pricing, tough as nails, easily a 100k mile suspension.

ICON - top performance, fully customizable, plush, spendy

If you're wheeling it heavily and don't mind spending some bucks and occasional maintenance go Icon. If you want something functional and inexpensive that you can forget about go OME.

AlexJet

Explorer
If you're wheeling it heavily and don't mind spending some bucks and occasional maintenance go Icon. If you want something functional and inexpensive that you can forget about go OME.

100% with you.
This is exactly words of my mouth when someone asks me the same question.

misterquad

Last May, I faced the choice between ICON and OME. My 2012 4Runner TE came with ICONs and Light Racing UCAs. And after test driving ARB's 4Runner at Jambo I decided to sell my ICONs in favor of OME for my 4Runner.

On my previous FJ, I ran both brands too. I feel the ICON was more plush but the OME was more durable. I ran OME for 60,000 miles and swapped to ICON. Unfortunately for me, ICON had to warranty a rear shock in the first week.

My thought on the 4Runner was I want a durable set up and to have no worries. And to me, if I did a blind road test (that does not sound right) I could not tell the difference between the two set ups.

ANDYROO

Adventurer
I run heavy duty OME up front and Dakar AAL in the rear (CS047R in rear and OME 60091 Nitrocharger rear sport shock N182 also with Timbren bump stops) on my 2010 DC Tacoma. They can be a little harsh on certain terrain, but overall a great way to go. Love the bling look of the Icon's, but if cost is a factor, you simply can't go wrong with an OME set up.

Andy

kpd1999

I've got a 2011 trail that's highly modified and I've run both on it. First off, both are great so you can't go wrong.

OME - bargain pricing, tough as nails, easily a 100k mile suspension.

ICON - top performance, fully customizable, plush, spendy

First off, I've seen your build thread on t4r and it's impressive. As fun as some of that rock crawling you do looks, I just don't think I'll ever be doing anything close to that. However, I would like to make it to Moab within a year.

That being said, I'd say the wheeling I do is moderate when I go. The stock setup just wasn't cutting it and I needed a little more clearance. I currently have Daystar 2.5/1.5 spacers and to me, the ride has gone to crap. When I go over speed bumps the rear seems to "hop" now too.

I like the idea of a plusher ride like y'all have mentioned the Icons have. Is the OME ride much worse than the Icons or the stock setup? For the kind of wheeling I do in my head the Icon's seem to be the way to go. But in reality, the OME's seem to be the best choice for the wheeling I actually do.

The idea of lower maintenance is a plus too. I'd love to say I have lots of extra time to work on my truck and be a do-it-yourself'er, but that's just not the case right now.

So I guess it comes down to ride at this point....

Thanks for y'all's advice.

kpd1999

Last May, I faced the choice between ICON and OME. My 2012 4Runner TE came with ICONs and Light Racing UCAs. And after test driving ARB's 4Runner at Jambo I decided to sell my ICONs in favor of OME for my 4Runner.

On my previous FJ, I ran both brands too. I feel the ICON was more plush but the OME was more durable. I ran OME for 60,000 miles and swapped to ICON. Unfortunately for me, ICON had to warranty a rear shock in the first week.

My thought on the 4Runner was I want a durable set up and to have no worries. And to me, if I did a blind road test (that does not sound right) I could not tell the difference between the two set ups.

Which OME setup did they have on their Runner? Which did you get? Are you still running the LR UCAs?

Last edited:

ebg18t

Adventurer
I like the front OME shocks with the 885 springs. The rear OME shocks with the 895 springs were good when loaded, but the shock valving was a little abrupt when unloaded. I sold the setup and went to Fox, if you don't mind spending the $ I would suggest going Icon. But as the others mentioned they will require periodic maintenance unlike the OME setup.

JLee

Adventurer
Another bump. :p

How do the OME's hold up to sustained higher-ish speed desert stuff? I don't need the adjustability, but I'm a half day's drive from Baja...

DVexile

Adventurer
Another bump. :p

How do the OME's hold up to sustained higher-ish speed desert stuff? I don't need the adjustability, but I'm a half day's drive from Baja...

I don't have first hand experience, but keep in mind that as a twin tube design the OME Nitrochargers just can't dissipate heat like a monotube shock. And even further behind what a monotube with remote reservoir could do. OME claims to have designed to minimize fade, but I think if you are planning on sustained speed runs you'd be better served by monotubes with remotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete