Overhaulin' (AEV Style) '08 Jeep Green Metallic "Overland" build

Imajeepnut

Observer
MOguy...good luck on your transition as well!

Back to the tire question...for those who have run the KM2's in the rocks...and sharp rocks...do you feel they are capable and strong enough or would you suggest the MTRs or Trail Grapplers? I've read plenty threads where the MTRs seem hard to balance but tough as nails...and the Trail Grapplers are just as bulletproof but a little harder compound...yet require very little weight to balance. Again...ride quality and low noise will be important.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I am very happy with the stock KM2s that came on my Rubi. I'm not a rock climber by any stretch, but I have taken them off-road quite a bit. I feel comfortable saying that these are really good tires. I parallel park a lot, and rub the sidewalls against the curb pretty hard from time to time, and there's no noticeable wear. That being said, I would not consider these quiet on the road. I have no experience with the other ones you mention though. If I were to buy new tires, I would have no problem running these again. Good luck.

Imajeepnut

Observer
Thanks for the feedback HRPINDC...If you are running stock tires, they should be the older style MT design, and in that case...they are somewhat noisy. Did you buy your Rubi new? If you haven't replaced the original tires, they are the same as mine....the original style Mud Terrain tread.

MOguy

Explorer

Back to the tire question...for those who have run the KM2's in the rocks...and sharp rocks...do you feel they are capable and strong enough or would you suggest the MTRs or Trail Grapplers? I've read plenty threads where the MTRs seem hard to balance but tough as nails...and the Trail Grapplers are just as bulletproof but a little harder compound...yet require very little weight to balance. Again...ride quality and low noise will be important.

I have heard that was a problem but is no longer one. If you go MTRs buy them from a Goodyear shop so if there are issues it would be easier to resolve. I only known a couple people with the new style MTRs and they were happy.

onebuilder

Observer

I play in the rocks here in AZ and love my KM2s, They. Have 10k on them now and some chunks missing but still ride nice. Some buddies have them as well as MTRs. The MTRs seem to be harder to balance, but both tires are tough! We like to buy them from Discount Tire along with the lifetime warranty. If their is a problem or you want them balanced, rotated or free replacement, no problem. One buddy hated the balance issue with his MTRs and Discount replaced all 5 with the tire of his choice. He picked out the new KO2 and loves them. Keep in mind the KM2 has been discontinued as BFG is also doing a redesign on it. I also have the AEV 3.5 on my '13 2dr JKR with 35s. The one thing I suggest is not to get the Bilstiens, go with the King Shocks.

Imajeepnut

Observer
Onebuilder..... I've heard that about the Bilsteins, and I asked AEV if I could have them valved differently for my weight but of course they said no. Others have recommended Fox adjustables. I guess I'll run the Bilsteins first and sell them if they are too loose. As for the tires...I've heard so many talk about the thin sidewall. That's why I wanted to ask those who run the rocks what they prefer. I guess for overlanding, the KM2 would be a great tire...and when I plan to do more trail riding, I might migrate to a tougher sidewall. But...I've not heard that the KM2 has been discontinued...when did that take place, and when will we see the redesign? I'm figuring my build will be complete before the new tire comes out.

onebuilder

Observer
The Bilsteins are to harsh for my liking. Keep in mind, I have a 2dr and soft top. The tire redesign is happening now, not sure on the release date. What type of Rocks are you planning on playing in? I'm pushing my rig to its limit, at some point the AEV will be coming off and going long travel with coilovers. You can YouTube Upper and Lower Terminator, Predator in the Table Mesa area or Smiley Rock and Smasher Canyon to get an idea of the types of trails/rocks I run. My rig has 15k miles on it, 11k on the tires. Of the 11k on the tires, 9k are off-road and no flats. I hope the newer version is as tough or tougher!

Imajeepnut

Observer
We plan to spend some time in AZ for sure. I just have to figure out where and what to wheel with a rooftop tent overhead! I'll know more about how the Jeep feels once it's loaded down like a pack mule!

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback HRPINDC...If you are running stock tires, they should be the older style MT design, and in that case...they are somewhat noisy. Did you buy your Rubi new? If you haven't replaced the original tires, they are the same as mine....the original style Mud Terrain tread.

Yeah, mine are the original ones that came on the Rubi. I didn't know that they redesigned them. I do love these tires though.

onebuilder

Observer
Yeah, mine are the original ones that came on the Rubi. I didn't know that they redesigned them. I do love these tires though.

The Rubicons come with BFG KM tires that are still being produced. BFG also has/had a KM2 tire, it is what's being redesigned now.

Imajeepnut

Observer
I did find out that the only tire AEV will certify and install during their build is the KM2, and it will be the original tread design for my build. So, I'll go with it for the build, of course, and see how they behave before spending more money on another set.

Onebuilder...I may start another thread dealing with the best places, geographically speaking, to store my rig while exploring a radius. I would welcome your suggestions as well as suggestions from those who might live in the area that we plan to visit first.

Imajeepnut

Observer
Well...if I can get a good clean, scratch free(and blemish free) windshield from Safelite, my JK will be ready for the carrier ride up to AEV. Safelite has been out 5 different times to install a new windshield, and all 5 have either had scratches or hairs/fibers in between the lamination. All of these were Mopar windshields...3 were pre 2011 and 2 were 2012 and newer I think. It's been very frustrating to say the least. My installer has been wonderful through the whole ordeal. He is as OCD as I am about everything, and I was very pleased with how professional and precise he was. He used their ratchet wire removal tool for a clean cut and never touched the paint. It looks like I'll have to purchase a new Mopar windshield from Quadratec and Safelite will install it for free. Safelite said they can't provide a perfect windshield at this point. The Mopar glass that they get comes by the pallet and are not sealed with plastic. That must be the reason for all the surface scratches...who knows. As for the blemishes??? I'm not sure why Mopar would let a blemish glass get by their inspection...unless they were sold as "blems".

The glass will be due in to Quadratec the end of this month, and if all goes well...I'll have it installed and ready to go to Michigan shortly thereafter. Quadratec's warranty is a no questions asked guarantee. If it has scratches or blemishes....they'll pick it up and send out another. That can't be beat!

I'll post pics of the removal process and install if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk