Overhaulin' (AEV Style) '08 Jeep Green Metallic "Overland" build

Big mike

Adventurer
I like it all, I have similar build right down to the chaser . I have the penstar so happy there . I also run the 4:88 everywhere you won't be sorry on or off road. I just have one suggestion and it's just my opinion ...I would lose the factory Lockers and go with ARB as your in there anyway. I found them to be 110% better all around .
Hope you enjoy your set up. And safe travels .
Big Mike

Imajeepnut

Observer
Thanks Scott... After I get the tent installed, along with the fridge/freezer and storage items for the rear, I plan to take the family on a few excursions up the Blue Ridge Parkway, and up north to the Great Smoky Mtn. national park area. I'm only 2.5 hrs. from Gatlinburg TN, and that mountain will be a good test for the JK when it's loaded down with gear. I want to make some 4-5 day trips out here and make sure everything works like it should, and once I'm comfortable and certain everything is reliable, we're driving it out to Colorado, Utah, Nevada...haven't decided where first. We'll park it in safe storage somewhere near an airport, and fly out every other week or so and hit some scenic trails. Our storage location will change once we've seen all we want to see in that particular area. We'll have about 5 good days to travel and camp while we are out there, with the 6th day being a "get home" day. My goal is to have it "bug-out" ready so the only thing we have to do is hop in and grab some provisions and go! I wish we had more time to stay out, but I figured we could see a lot of country with the time we DO have...especially while our children are excited and want to go. Our window of opportunity for fun family time is now and I don't want to miss it!

Mike...yep, it's a done deal now! lol I considered ARBs. I have Currie 9" axles in my '88 XJ and I love the ARB setup up front. My thought was to have something that could easily be repaired at any dealer should I have a problem. With the stock lockers, I could call my local parts guy in GA and he could locate the unit and have it shipped to a dealer...say in Utah if I'm out that way...and have them make the repair/install. At least that's the thought behind keeping it as original as possible...for serviceability. I won't have their lockers, but I will have their compressor at least! Did you buy that heater in the For Sale forum? I'm looking to buy one of those myself. You'll have to PM me with your thoughts.

I'll be running the Gobi rack and I'll have a HUGE Eezi Awn 2200 tent up top. I'm trying to figure out a way to carry two tandem kayaks up top...maybe a secondary mount, or just lay them on the tent. Anyone have any suggestions? I will eventually have a Chaser trailer or something similar, and that will solve the problem...but for now, I want to be able to carry them without a trailer. I wonder what DOT will say about having that much strapped to the top of the JK?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! Having it setup like that should get a lot of use!
I watched a YouTube video of a guy who has his Tacoma setup to roll in under 20 minutes.
Talk about a cool tool for enjoying this great country! :)
Will look forward to reading your trip reports. :beer:

Imajeepnut

Observer
I'm looking in to some of the GPS software that posts tracking info. at user defined intervals, so that others can follow your progress. You can take pics and those waypoints will be populated with your pictures based on your geo-location. I figured that would be a great way for grandparents to kinda' be a part of the trips...following us on their iPads. That's the one thing I like about taking technology on these excursions...you get others involved. My realistic goal would be to have the Jeep ready for an early Spring trip out West somewhere next year...and take some short trips up until the Fall months. I plan to get some advice from other forum members in the trip planning forum...so I can pick the best times to visit certain areas.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I did something similar using an InReach, and a Flicker account through the smartphone. Family and friends really enjoyed it, because they could follow along, or just check in at night and see what happened that day.
I think they really liked it, because they didn't have to listen to me drone on and on about how great the trip was, once I got back... :elkgrin:

Imajeepnut

Observer
I think InReach was one of those I was reading about. I think it would be a great way to share a trip in real-time.

HRPINDC....well...now that you put it that way, I guess I'll be careful where I post any info.!!! lol All the more reason to hide a LoJack! ;)

screwball48

Explorer
You are going about this whole thing backwards. Your supposed to be out west and wanting to explore the east. That way you could leave your jeep here with me in GA and I could watch after it while you are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I think InReach was one of those I was reading about. I think it would be a great way to share a trip in real-time.

If you end up going with an InReach, let me know. I learned a few things from the first trip, that will make it easier and more fun for everyone following along on the next trip.
Also, if you haven't already, it might be worth checking out the Spot unit. I read where they have done the same kind of thing as InReach now, with texting and password enabled website.

zigsrig

Adventurer
Ive been using my inreach explorer for a while now. Great piece of mind while i am out by my self, or with a group. also, my family loves following me along. I have my tracking intervals set at 2 min, so it might be a little over kill, but i love jumping online and seeing where I've been. a great little tool.

also, i have mine paired with my onboard iPad, and with their app you can download, its run to text with the kids while you are in the middle of no where. makes me feel less guilty being out in the wilderness when i can still check in and say goodnight.

Imajeepnut

Observer
screwball...I do love it out here on the East coast, but sometimes I wish I was out West...or Northwest. I love the mountains. It's just so vast out there. But now I'm afraid to park it anywhere! lol I'd hate to open the storage door and find it has been swapped with a Pinto!

Comanche and Zig...I may contact you soon and talk to you about your InReach setups. At one point, I think I read that InReach was coming out with a new unit and I wasn't sure if I should wait for it or go ahead and get one. I agree though...having one has to be a confidence booster as well as a nice way to document your travels. I'm also looking at some of the satellite phones. Have either of you checked in to one of those?

Imajeepnut

Observer
Thanks inline...I hope we enjoy using it as a family. The buildup to having it ready is part of the fun. My Gobi rack is scheduled to arrive today or tomorrow, then the stuff from Adventure Trailers next week probably. I'll post updates as I get it outfitted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk