Overhaulin' (AEV Style) '08 Jeep Green Metallic "Overland" build

onebuilder

Observer
WOW! Thanks for the heads up on Safelite. I use a family owned glass shop and have never had a issue with the Mopar glass.

Imajeepnut

Observer
The local store tech said he will make sure I'm taken care of either way, so I'll get the glass myself and see how it turns out. The glass that I get directly from Quadratec/Mopar should be perfect...at least it should be. I'll let you know.

Imajeepnut

Observer
Well...I finally got a clean windshield and got it installed. It looked great! I waited 48 hours before I drove it...and it whistled :( Yep...the install looked great, great margins and depth in the frame looked great too...but it whistled. Soooo...I shipped it to AEV anyway, and Safelite said they would fix it when I got the Jeep back.

On a more exciting note...the JK350 conversion is almost finished. I thought I'd wait until I had some pics to show before I started posting a pic here and there. The only thing left to be done at AEV is to paint the interior hard top, and run the engine through a few heat cycles...then it's back to GA.

Here is the Jeep new in '08...

And here it is cleaned up ready to go to Michigan. I only put 30K miles on the Jeep and used it for occasional family trips. I wanted the Jeep Green Metallic color, but I didn't want the 3.8L after I drove it "loaded down"...not enough power. In 4-lo it was great, but for hauling more than one person, it was weak. Oh yeah...tires are about shot and the Rubicon sticker has just about fallen off!! Time for an overhaul! lol

Interior is still like new...

Last edited:

Imajeepnut

Observer
Here it is on the carrier headed for Michigan...

And 2 days later...among friends inside AEV facility! Not many '08's up there I don't suppose.

I asked for some conversion pics when they did the HEMI swap, but they didn't take any :( I did take a pic of the 3.8 before it left...

And here is the 5.7 in it's place... I'll get a better comparison pic when I get the Jeep back...

Imajeepnut

Observer
I decided on 4.88 gears with the OEM lockers. I upgraded the front axle to Dynatrac's ProRock 44 with RCV shafts. I also had AEV install Dynatrac's new big brake kit that they debuted at SEMA. This will be the first JK350 install AEV has done with this kit. At the time of my contract, they didn't offer it as an option...but if it performs well and gets good reviews, I bet you'll see more of these installed. Here they are wrapping up the front axle build.

And the rear...

They installed the Dynatrac kit last. It reuses the stock calipers so you don't have to "open up" the brake lines...just new brackets and rotors. You can use the stock pads, or the Dynatrac pads for increased stopping performance.

Imajeepnut

Observer
And finally...a few pics with the Silver Savegres and 37" KM2's. I went with the Silver Savegres because they are a stout wheel, and the Jeep Green Metallic has a fair amount of silver flake or fleck. They shouldn't show rock rash as bad either ;) When I get the Jeep back, I'll be bolting on some more AEV stuff. I'm also waiting on my Gobi rack, and my Adventure Trailers shipment. It may be another month or so before I get everything installed, but I'll be back with pics when it's finished!

Imajeepnut

Observer
Thanks Steve...I'm looking forward to getting it outfitted for camping! Maybe I'll have some of the gear in the next couple of weeks.

Imajeepnut

Observer
Got a few more pics today. I think the interior hard top has been painted by now. They have been working through some issues with the Dynatrac brake kit and I think they said they have it worked out so they can continue their drive-out testing.

I have been concerned about matching the almost 8 year old Jeep Green Metallic. It has spent most of it's life in the garage and not in a parking lot. I know there will be some fading the best you can do, but it is very minimal. They did a 2nd repaint to get it closer and I'm relying on their eyes to get it as close as possible. Of course it will never be "perfect" but I'm cursed with an eye for detail. From the pic, under fluorescent lights, it seems a tad dark...but the sunlight will be the determining factor. I thought about painting the grill to match the hood...to lessen the surface area for comparison. Duncan(AEV) said that it would be like peeling an onion...paint the grill, then the fenders, then... I'm sure it could turn in to that, but if it is too far off, I'm thinking about the grill at least. Again...it's hard to tell from a pic.

From this pic, it sure seems to sit level...which I like!

Imajeepnut

Observer
Testing halted because a "sensor" was causing a problem with the brakes. There shouldn't be a sensor related to just the brake install, so I'm thinking it was related to maybe the ABS speed sensor or something similar and that it got upset during the axle swap. Testing has resumed nonetheless.
EDIT: The problem wasn't a sensor, but rather an opened brake line evidently. They had to bleed the line again. That kit install doesn't require the brake system be opened, but something must have happened to introduce air in the lines. They bled it off and continued with the testing.

On a "darker" note...the interior hardtop has been painted!

Last edited:

Imajeepnut

Observer
True...but I hope it makes us want to get out there more often and use it! I'll bring it back home for the Winter and take it back out there for Spring/Summer. I'll get to enjoy it for a while here while I get it setup and make some shake-down runs, so I'll have fun with it!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Well that is absolutely stunning! :beer:
I'm a huge fan of the AEV conversions. Such great attention to detail, and everything works so well together.
This is going to be like getting a whole new Jeep. Can't wait to read a "drive report"!
Any plans for an off road adventure when you get it back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk