Overland Expo West 2015

Finlay

Triarius
Leave no trace? Maybe that doesn't apply to the Mormon Lake area because of its commercial status. I don't know. Whatever allowed us to tear that area to rutted shreds probably could have been interpreted to allow ground fires. Fire=warm=dry.

The issue is that Mormon Lake is usually a bed of dry grass and high winds, which coupled with a loose ember means a thrilling raging wildfire running through camp. This year, obviously, that wouldn't have been an issue.

The camping area was a mess. I rolled into that, spent 38.7 nanoseconds thinking on it, and headed off for a forest service campsite. I would have been fine in the RTT, and cold, wet weather sucks, but whatever - but that sticky mud just gets everywhere, and worse was coupled with all those newly moistened cowpies out there. "An astonishing mess" wins understatement of the year.

Still - I had fun. Got to see some friends, and some new stuff for my truck. Took in few classes and presentations. Wish the weather had been better - this never-ending monsoon that seems to have gripped the southwest sucks.

stormlover

Adventurer
But we're ecstatic that it'll help to keep the forests open this Summer and put a damper on the fire season.

This^^^^. The weather geeks are also blogging about a Super-Nino brewing in the E. Pacific. But really late season winter-type storms in May is not that unusual, it's just been awhile.

Scott Brady

Founder
I personally enjoyed the crazy weather. Made a great event different from years past and entertaining in new ways. Certainly blue skies are better, but the rain and snow didn't dampen my enjoyment.

1. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear
2. Bad weather brings out the best or worst in people. I found it interesting to see which way people changed. . .

crismateski

American Adventurist
2. Bad weather brings out the best or worst in people. I found it interesting to see which way people changed. . .

Amen

Sundays weather was certainly beautiful, but we had a great time, maybe even a better time than we would have had otherwise. It is certainly one to remember

Sleam

Explorer
Yup. It made an obvious choice between some campers and others open to all experiences, right? Me, I loved it, probably more than if it had been hot and dry, where's the challenge in that? Camping's fun, that's all I have to say. I missed my friend from Santa Fe who bailed because of the weather. He would've loved all the rigs.
2015-05-14 06.25.04.jpg

Last edited:

Tacovendor

Explorer
I personally enjoyed the crazy weather. Made a great event different from years past and entertaining in new ways. Certainly blue skies are better, but the rain and snow didn't dampen my enjoyment.

As usual Scott you are exactly right, I've seen wind, rain, heat, dust, snow and mud at OEX, isn't this what Overlanding is about? Adventure? It wasn't like we don't have access to Doppler radar and very up to the minute accurate forecasts about the weather at the event (days before). And the mud, well it's Arizona. I loved it, great to see my friends, vendors and some really great vehicles. I guess we could gather in a Walmart parking lot under a circus tent with heat and A/C.........sarcasm :)

1v6pony

Adventurer
I had planed to camp with some friends out in the woods, The morning off they decided to just go for the day.
Saturday we arrived and had a great time. I hate being reminded of how much money I do not have...I think my favorite part is walking through the parking area and seeing all the cool rigs. Looking forward to next year and friends or not I will be camping

DD196

Observer
It's discouraging to see people bagging on "fair-weather campers".

Hope they handed out I went to OEW 2015 and I'm better than you stickers. :bowdown:

peneumbra

Explorer
One of the really cool highlights of this year's Expo was watching the snowflakes dancing through the 10-billion candlepower spotlight on top of the Rigid Industries truck. Sort of like a portable Luxor Hotel effect...

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
One of the really cool highlights of this year's Expo was watching the snowflakes dancing through the 10-billion candlepower spotlight on top of the Rigid Industries truck. Sort of like a portable Luxor Hotel effect...

Yep, that was neat. I managed to get close to it after stumbling back from the Fox after hours party...I think. Not too sure about things that night.

Maxcustody

Explorer

This is so true, for me I found what works and what does not, I took plenty of notes and will be better prepared for the next adventure.............A true learning experience is what it is all about.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
And if you post a picture of that Dodge truck, we may know of its Baja pedigree.

Todd Z.
here's the only pic i got...ran out of space on my card and didn't want to slip and slide my way back to camp just to get another one.

Attachments

• DSC00302.JPG
    DSC00302.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 38

toddz69

Explorer
here's the only pic i got...ran out of space on my card and didn't want to slip and slide my way back to camp just to get another one.

Thanks for the pic - that's enough to identify it. That's Rod's prerunner from the late 80s - now owned by Chrysler. I'm not sure how much it was actually used as a prerunner. Chrysler had it on display at SEMA in the early 2000s which is where I last saw it. Glad to see it's still around.

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy