Overland Expo West 2015

8e8872c2e4f3b8650c18220c47640491.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ichimonji

This was a long trip; about 2000 miles. I combined picking up my kid in Tucson with a trip to the Expo. My travelling buddy alerted me to the inclement weather potential on Wednesday and we did what we could do to prepare. We planned on taking my truck despite the fact that his has a RTT and I have a ground tent. We pared down our kit to the bare minimum because we were picking up all of the kid's earthly belongings for the trip home and needed the space.

Driving from the SF East Bay through LA (enroute to Tucson) we hit some pretty heavy rain. Most of our gear was in weather resistant bags or pelican cases in the bed of the truck so it was no biggie but we knew we would need a plan for the kid's stuff. She was packing everything she owned in her luggage and cardboard boxes and that posed a problem if the rain continued. On Friday, as we passed the Bass Pro Shops outside of Phoenix I thought, "We should stop and get the kid some rain pants"; but we drove on...

We watched the weather radar (while we had cell signal) and the temperature as we motored on, no doubt we were heading into the rain and snow. We rolled in at about 1500 on Friday afternoon. The people at the registration tent were helpful and pleasant. They advised us that the primitive camping area was extremely muddy and asked if we had 4wd. I said yes and we drove to the primitive camping area. I'm not sure how long it had been raining but the lakebed was oversaturated and a 3-5" mudslick had built up on the trail. If I wasn't surrounded by other capable rigs, and proceeding into an area where others had clearly successfully passed, I would not have entered the lakebed. We made a lap and found a grassy space that had recently been abandoned. We donned our raingear (not the kid, no rain pants) and braved the storm (rain now, snow later), setting up the awning and ground tent, table and chairs. We were chilly and wet and decided to head to the hospitality tent to warm up and meet some of our brethren. We chatted a bit and moved to the lodge for the fireplace.

We took stock of the situation: The kid was soaked and cold. No groundfires allowed (didn't matter because we didn't bring firewood, because well, no groundfires). Ground tent probably soaked. No heater. No break in the weather anticipated. 38 deg. and dropping. We bailed. It was the right decision for us and wasn't brought about by any fault of the organizers.

I own my decisions that got us there. The rain/snow was unpleasant and we made a decision about it. We chose to come back on Saturday and venture into the mud, with pretty good knowledge of what we were in for. I won't complain to the organizers about the weather; however, their response to it is a different story. I take issue with the organizers for the lack of planning for the mud. If I knew on Wednesday that it was going to snow, they knew; or they should have known. A plan for hundreds of vehicles to drive and park on a "dry" lakebed should include provisions for inclement weather. The rock and hay were insufficient. The path from the primitive camping to the vendors was treacherous and incomplete. The traffic control to and from the primitive camping was ineffective in the morning but improved in the afternoon when they finally stopped pedestrians from walking there. The mud control measures seemed to be centered on the vendor area.

Leave no trace? Maybe that doesn't apply to the Mormon Lake area because of its commercial status. I don't know. Whatever allowed us to tear that area to rutted shreds probably could have been interpreted to allow ground fires. Fire=warm=dry. That would have contributed to a decision to stay Friday and Saturday which would have saved me about $400 in hotel room costs.

Financially, and considering the time spent, the Expo was not the right decision for me so I won't be back. I didn't see a single demo or class due to weather. I was able to see some products in person that I have been considering and that helped me eliminate a few and solidify my decision on others but the expense of the trip would have been better spent on traveling to the vendor during an outing in that area.

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Explorer
I had a great time and enjoyed the exhibits. Everyone I met was happy seeing the exhibitors and taking classes and meeting others. The mud was a mess and it will take a while to get it out of my rig and off my dog :) I'll go again but may camp off site in the forest.

One suggestion would be to have the camping area closer to the exhibitor area and the driving course out father in the "dry" lake so the campers wouldn't have a long a walk back to camp or back for happy hours.

Dan and Cody

WOODY2

Adventurer
No matter how you saw it I think we all can agree OVX '15 will be talked about for years to come :sombrero:

peneumbra

Explorer
COLD WEATHER
MUD
SNOW
RAIN

(and)

MORE SELF-PROPELLED ENCLOSED CAMPER VENDORS
THAN EVER BEFORE.

COINCIDENCE

OR

CONSPIRACY??!?

(HEY! Get that Earthroamer off my foot, willya?)

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
Ordering an ARB awning room with floor as soon as possible!

Thats what I slept in all weekend. It was brand new (first use at this show) The floor ripped out a little and one of the awning bows bent under the wind. I might look for something a little more durable.

TravelinLight

Observer
I thought all things considered it went very well. I drove 1400 miles round trip to be there and would do it again. The event did as well as possible, but unfortunately Stuff happens outside of your control. To Monday morning quarterback a record storm that is out of the norm should be a sign maybe these events are not for you.

I left early because my rig was a little slower than I anticipated on such a long drive, but I met some great people, had a great time, and brought enough gear to stay warm, fed, and dry on my own.

Uncle Beer

Observer
I was not there the entire weekend. I postponed my Saturday trip to Sunday. The wife had a big influence on this as we decided to bring my 4 year old. It was great. She was happy which allowed me to talk to a ton of people and share stories about our travels. My boy had a blast and was upset when we had to leave. I know I missed a lot of the ********y weather but my family enjoyed themselves.

Truth be told, I needed at least another 2-3 hours as I didn't finish the vendors area or even start through the camp. Next year I'm planning on staying for the weekend. Rain and mud sucks. That's why I live in AZ. However it's nots going to ruin my time, merely slow it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

brushogger

Explorer
I for one had a great time. I volunteered this year and that also added to the experience. This is always billed as a rain or shine event, so I came prepared for the weather. The Oztent and little buddy heater kept me warm and completely dry. No water leaked in, but there was a little condensation the evening I ran the heater most of the night. I got to reconnect with a lot of friends and made more new ones. That's the main reason I went. It also allowed me to see what items of my gear really worked well and what didn't. It's much better to test it in a situation like that than alone in the boondocks. I will definitely attend again. Another option is to camp in the surrounding forest. There were some great campsites on the south side of the road at the east entry into Mormon Village. The place I camped a couple of nights was covered in a 2-3" layer of pine needles and had no fire restrictions. It's only 1/4-1/2 mile from the expo and would be a very quick bike ride. In the future I'll probably bring my bike and camp there. Dust would also be very low there if it was dry and it's completely shaded with all the trees.
7412165b71600fa32e99936d6dd64a7c.jpg

I want one of these really bad.
5c1871d7903fa4778ff4cfeffa91a78c.jpg

If Jeep sold these I would HAVE to buy one.
37dba8f9f20163c2bbde639924ee883c.jpg

Rosanne knows her way with a rake!
be576adddcb7a7a72d1d30a1dbae0bd8.jpg

A night shot of Happy Hour lake
69561a32f027cb9b53684edf55a419fb.jpg

The slop!
a52ac362c6d50ad0745fcdb5b41b7eed.jpg

This was really cool! A prototype off road wheel chair. It can even be refueled by the driver from the seat.
One thing I thought was funny, and may have just been hearsay- I was told the advanced recovery class was cancelled due to the mud. ironic if it's true. Michael (Verdesardog): I hate that I missed getting to meet up with you again out there. I didn't really get to spend much time perusing the campground, and I didn't see your post with your camp coords. Cheers to Jonathan and Roseanne for putting on such a great event, and to Amanda and Kat for coordinating the volunteers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Brushogger, it was awesome meeting you and camping by you and getting to know you throughout the weekend.. May our paths cross again at one point in the future

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Got here a couple of hours ago.

View attachment 284848
Parked off by ourselves. No one has run us off yet so I guess we're okay here. Was snowing a few minutes ago but stopped for now. Looking forward to checking out the rigs tomorrow.

I can see our camp just to the right and in the background in your pic. We were in the Pinzgauers. Had to put up tarps to stop the wind to make it a little more comfortable at camp.

Sleam

Explorer
I left early because my rig was a little slower than I anticipated on such a long drive, but I met some great people, had a great time, and brought enough gear to stay warm, fed, and dry on my own.

Too bad i didn't get to say bye but glad we met up on Friday and played on your Dormobile in the rain, that was probably the best part of the weekend for me, being with you and Jeff and Terriann and Ian, talking shop. So much so that I took Shorty, my Landy, off the market! Is there a 12 step program for my on/off relationship with this rover?
Anyways, next year Sean, try to get a week off, there are incredible back roads and NF dirt roads for crossing from NM/ CO to here. I'll be coming in the Landy for sure, so driving slow and taking lots of breaks for photos and just because!

Brushogger - love the photos! I camped up in the NF, it was raining and snow but no mud, great fires in the morning, quiet at night, that's where I'll be next year too.

Kyle! _ sorry we didn't get to meet up again, but great to see you working there. Hope you write about it.

TravelinLight

Observer
Sarah,

Great to meet you as well. The one thing about this event is that it brought a lot of great people together. I was very happy to put faces to email accounts and forum usernames. Jeff and TeriAnn are a wealth of knowledge and were so kind to jump right in to help.

I will definitely plan for more travel time next year. So glad you have decided to take the Rover off the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy