Overland Journal: 1995 Range Rover Classic

I've never imported a car or truck before. I wouldn't know where to start.

I have looked on Bring A Trailer and I've seen a few over the years, but I didn't realize I really wanted one until recently. Ironically the prices for the older Rovers have recently seen a huge spike upward. Three years ago I could have had one here in Norcal for less than $4000.

voyagenland

Observer
in eurrope you can find earlier range but the difficulty is to find one in original state!
was a time many were cut to use all terain.their price was very affordable effect because no one wanted to ride in v8!!
now the price for a fine one is near 5/6000 euros 6/7000 dollars!

if someone is looking for one in europe, do not hesitate to contact me if i can help it will be with pleasure.

i

in eurrope you can find earlier range but the difficulty is to find one in original state!
was a time many were cut to use all terain.their price was very affordable effect because no one wanted to ride in v8!!
now the price for a fine one is near 5/6000 euros 6/7000 dollars!

if someone is looking for one in europe, do not hesitate to contact me if i can help it will be with pleasure.

i
Maybe you could throw one of those Citroen H vans in the container. I like those a lot...!

Blueboy

Adventurer
Not too difficult: There are quite a few two doors 1989 and under for sale on Autoscout right now

ok, let me clarify a little.

2 door Rangies or for that matter 4 door LHD Rangies that are not rusted out are difficult to find in Europe.

Maybe easier in Spain where not so much road salt is used or parts of Italy / France, yet, in general there are not many left in decent condition.

And the 25 year applies for import to the US and this has its own set of difficulties.

Nothing is impossible, yet, it isn't that easy either although one can never discount lady luck!

The dealer here in Liechtenstein constantly comments on mine, a '94LWB that we brought over, as it is basically rust free especially in the rust prone areas since it came from SoCal.

ok, let me clarify a little.

2 door Rangies or for that matter 4 door LHD Rangies that are not rusted out are difficult to find in Europe.

Maybe easier in Spain where not so much road salt is used or parts of Italy / France, yet, in general there are not many left in decent condition.

And the 25 year applies for import to the US and this has its own set of difficulties.

Nothing is impossible, yet, it isn't that easy either although one can never discount lady luck!

The dealer here in Liechtenstein constantly comments on mine, a '94LWB that we brought over, as it is basically rust free especially in the rust prone areas since it came from SoCal.

Is there a 25 year rule for importing? I know here in CA, it used to be a 25 year rule for emissions testing, but they froze it at 1976. So not a moving number any more. Any vehicle purchase decision is made difficult by that cutoff. If it's newer than 1976, I better really love it.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Wow. I read through the links and it amazes me what the feds deem legal for import and what they do not. Although it seems like they are focused on the heart of the matter which seems like blatant VIN fraud.

So the key for importing any vehicle is to make sure it is original. I'm sure you could have the seller palletize any non original parts (LHD conversions, etc) for importing and that wouldn't be a problem. I wonder if vehicles without engines or drivetrains would fall under the same scrutiny.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I believe the regs state that a vehicle without an engine is considered an assemblage of parts. As such, all parts that are on the vehicle must conform to standing regulations as if it were complete. I assume this means the VIN, etc. if it's a frame or body:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/faq site/pages/page2.html#Anchor-10-55977

However, many have been busted trying to ship over non-conforming disassembled vehicles of other makes, in separate shipments, and then reassemble them here. Nissan Skylines come to mind. I would say that customs is going to have an eagle eye on vehicles which are disassembled, or parts of vehicles, especially frames, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread jack guys.

Basically then, if a vehicle is imported as a pile of parts, do they want to inspect it after it has been built? How could they possibly enforce that? Maybe they could hold your registration in hawk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues