Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

LR Max

Local Oaf
Take a volt meter and test the voltage across the coil (the two other posts on the coil, NOT THE ONE THAT GOES TO THE DISTRIBUTOR!!). If it ain't 12v, then you need a new coil. Of course check while you are in there to make sure your distributor cap isn't half melted inside or whatever.

blue bomber

Adventurer
Crank sensor

This rig doesn't have a crank sensor. I would bet your problem is the ignition module.I would get a " Genuine" Land Rover ignition module, not a bargain basement one. Genuine will have Lucas molded into the plastic. Make sure to use dielectric grease between the aluminum plate and the module.the grease acts as a cooling agent.
Cheers, Matthew.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Not that it's your problem, but Matthew's post reminded me it's a good idea to relocate the ignition module. It get's really hot where they are located and will eventually kill them. You can buy an expensive relocation kit, or make your own.

blue bomber

Adventurer
The discovery ignition modules are remote mounted. This part is the"retrofit" kit, for distributor mounted modules. Placed in a nice cool spot, by the radiator. Genius, I did jump the gun. I have to remind myself. Simple stuff first!!! Clean the stepper motor, as stated. In any case the module is a handy spare.

kferg

I beleive the other potential culprits for this aside from the IACV (stepper motor) are the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and the TPS (throttle position sensor). I have this issue on my '95 and it is acting up again when the temp changes significantly, usually warmer weather does it. Changing the IACV made a difference 2 years ago but it is back so I don't know if it is bad or not. I plan to clean/change that and then move on to the TPS and VSS. You can also try resetting the base idle but this did not help my issue. There is an alternative part to the LR IACV part, the NAPA part # is 3-1738. Much cheaper and many people use them on the D1's.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So you going to do a build thread on that new Land Cruiser 2 you just got!? We need a bit more variety in the Cruiser area! ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
So you going to do a build thread on that new Land Cruiser 2 you just got!? We need a bit more variety in the Cruiser area! ;)

We will. In fact, it is going to get modified on the way down from Canada. Seems convenient to stop in at ARB and Warn on the way :D It is an LJ78 Prado Land Cruiser. It will be interesting to see how the new truck affects my attention with the Disco - I still look at the little DI with a lot of love.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
We will. In fact, it is going to get modified on the way down from Canada. Seems convenient to stop in at ARB and Warn on the way :D It is an LJ78 Prado Land Cruiser. It will be interesting to see how the new truck affects my attention with the Disco - I still look at the little DI with a lot of love.

It's kind of like Spock versus Kirk . . . :ylsmoke:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
It's kind of like Spock versus Kirk . . . :ylsmoke:

This will get ugly...

stos0005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk