Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Cool, that cargo area looks cavernous without the drawers! Are you planning to do hard or soft sided bags/boxes?

Scott Brady

Founder
Cool, that cargo area looks cavernous without the drawers! Are you planning to do hard or soft sided bags/boxes?

Thanks Ryan.

I am installing a few tie-downs, but then plan to use primarily Pelican cases (first layer), then soft bags. Realistically, the long trip expectations of this truck are over. I have thought of using it for the length of the Arizona Traverse next year. I want it to be more of a time capsule (it was the first project vehicle for Overland Journal). No reason to beat it up or wear it out. Maybe take it out every few weeks for a trip to the range.

We did buy another Discovery for trail use and training. Diesel 5-speed ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
And the window tint. First project: remove tint.

Agreed, keep those windows clear. Fortunately, an easy one to fix.

417923_10150755230443275_1798632885_n.jpg

purvika

It would be interesting to see the budget of the build as well. One thing that alot of people fail to include in their builds, likely due to not keep track of expenses over the years, is total cost of the build. The $ might be helpful for those who are pondering a similar buildup. very nice.

XJLI

Adventurer
well, i finally got through this whole thread and have one question...

this is obviously a 95 since it has a 3.9 and dizzy, but it has amber turn signals in the main tail lights. i thought that wasn't added until 96. whats the build date on this thing? just curious.

Scott Brady

Founder
well, i finally got through this whole thread and have one question...

this is obviously a 95 since it has a 3.9 and dizzy, but it has amber turn signals in the main tail lights. i thought that wasn't added until 96. whats the build date on this thing? just curious.

6/95, so a really late 1995 model year truck. Probably the reason for the amber signals.

Scott Brady

Founder
It would be interesting to see the budget of the build as well. One thing that alot of people fail to include in their builds, likely due to not keep track of expenses over the years, is total cost of the build. The $ might be helpful for those who are pondering a similar buildup. very nice.

The vehicle was $6,500 in 2008. Total modifications have been approximately $12,000. Just the new third members and new gears (3.90:1) was $3,500 installed. It adds up quickly, but there are a few things I would do differently, principally the front control arms and double-double front drive shaft. I would have just kept those parts stock and might actually swap back to stock. It just was not necessary for the minimal lift I have.

Anyone with a big lift want some super fancy front control arms with 5-degrees of castor and a $600 uber Tom Woods driveshaft? Just send me your stock bits and the trade is good!

XJLI

Adventurer
6/95, so a really late 1995 model year truck. Probably the reason for the amber signals.

Interesting. Mine is 4/95 and has the typical early D1 setup. I enjoyed the read, I'm doing pretty much the same with mine... "super stock" if you will. I'm running 245/75s with no lift and I really like the way it sits.

fishEH

Explorer
Scott, I have the stock arms and driveshafts. Shoot me a PM or email about a trade. Bpfritzler@gmail.com

The vehicle was $6,500 in 2008. Total modifications have been approximately $12,000. Just the new third members and new gears (3.90:1) was $3,500 installed. It adds up quickly, but there are a few things I would do differently, principally the front control arms and double-double front drive shaft. I would have just kept those parts stock and might actually swap back to stock. It just was not necessary for the minimal lift I have.

Anyone with a big lift want some super fancy front control arms with 5-degrees of castor and a $600 uber Tom Woods driveshaft? Just send me your stock bits and the trade is good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online