Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Scott Brady

Founder
Tough night to be in town First night of ACL 2.0 do y'all have plans or just planing to pass through?

We are going to have dinner with Doug and Stephanie Hackney, then on down the road the next day. Just looked up ACL- that would have been fun too.

Scott Brady

Founder
We just picked up my new set of the Discovery factory steel wheels. Pretty excited. I will have them re powder coated and then mount up a nice set of ATs

The factory control arms and a rebuilt front driveshaft will be here is a few weeks too. The de-building is proceeding nicely ;)

Exploder
Scott, are you going for the original color for the wheels? I have a set on my '96 and they'll need to be recoated at some point down the road.

I had thought they were the white trash cheap way to have steelies. Seeing that factory picture has caused me to change my mind.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have found that those wheels were produced in white and a light silver. There are photos of the wheels in black, but I do not believe that is factory.

I am leaning towards white. What I wouldn't give to have one of those zero mile Discoveries in the lineup!

A little more inspiration.

lr_heritage_discovery1_1989_01_LowRes.jpg

lr_heritage_discovery1_1989_02_LowRes.jpg

lr_heritage_discovery1_1989_04_LowRes.jpg

lr_heritage_discovery1_rail_conv_1989_LowRes.jpg

psykokid

Explorer
I wonder if you can still get those graphics for the side? For no reason other than the kitsch factor they are pretty cool. Plus IIRC they only came on the launch cars so that means you'd really never see another set here stateside..

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I wonder if you can still get those graphics for the side? For no reason other than the kitsch factor they are pretty cool. Plus IIRC they only came on the launch cars so that means you'd really never see another set here stateside..
Probably not but I'm sure you could get a custom set made off of the photos.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Honestly I get the lust for those steelies, but I think the wolfs look so much better on there

Red90

Adventurer
I have found that those wheels were produced in white and a light silver. There are photos of the wheels in black, but I do not believe that is factory.

I am leaning towards white. What I wouldn't give to have one of those zero mile Discoveries in the lineup!

My Disco had stock white ones.
Carartc7.JPG

Exploder
Honestly I get the lust for those steelies, but I think the wolfs look so much better on there

I agree. But I feel better about the appropriateness of the spare-style steelies now.

One day I may go white Wolf now that RN is carrying them stateside. I'm in less of a hurry than I was before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3