Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

hochung

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Ho from EE has been a huge help on this project, as those guys have a pretty solid grasp on how to build a clean, functional and balanced Discovery, though we do differ on the roof rack subject :hehe:

It's still too early.

You'll eventually come around. Not only the rack, but you'll want lights up there.

Maine 110

You know the rack thing is dependant on where your primary off roading/ exploring is. Back East here in New England I am not a big lover of the rack, I had it on and off my truck several times, for the most part they are a hinderance on the tightly wooded and overgrown areas we tend to explore around here. I cannot count how many times I've seen lights ripped off by overhanging limbs, or at least have it be a a constant issue on a trail ride to stop and hold branches up or fold down the lights so they dont get hit. When you are out west or in a more open area I can totaly see having the rack and lights.

The other downside I see to roof-racks is the un-bearable urge most rack owners have to load the things with 300 + pounds of fuel and gear making the truck precariously top heavy. I went through it myself and finally got to the point the rack held little more than some bulky lightweight gear and my chain-saw.

I personally like the look of the disco rackless.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Jesse Ware

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Maine 110 said:
You know the rack thing is dependant on where your primary off roading/ exploring is. Back East here in New England I am not a big lover of the rack, I had it on and off my truck several times, for the most part they are a hinderance on the tightly wooded and overgrown areas we tend to explore around here. I cannot count how many times I've seen lights ripped off by overhanging limbs, or at least have it be a a constant issue on a trail ride to stop and hold branches up or fold down the lights so they dont get hit. When you are out west or in a more open area I can totaly see having the rack and lights.

The other downside I see to roof-racks is the un-bearable urge most rack owners have to load the things with 300 + pounds of fuel and gear making the truck precariously top heavy. I went through it myself and finally got to the point the rack held little more than some bulky lightweight gear and my chain-saw.

I personally like the look of the disco rackless.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Jesse Ware

I totally agree Jesse. I live in Washington and the woods and the roofrack are just a PITA. The other bad thing about a rack is the wind noise, decrease MPG, and they are annoying when you are washing the truck. I had one for two years and finally sold it. They do look cool though.

Why is "Out West" not wooded? We have incredibly dense forests in WA, OR, ID, MT, and Northern CA.

hochung

Adventurer
trees, no trees, doesn't matter. Scott needs a RACK.

besides,

tree1: "guys, I see a Disco coming..."
tree2: "yeah, and it's got a roof rack."
tree3: "that's Scott! let him thru!"

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Rack? If you need it you need it, if you dont you dont. If I could take the rack off my truck I would but the awning is rack dependent.

Racks are kind of like buying a large backpack. No matter how big it is it always seems to get filled up with stuff. I see lots of truck with loaded down racks and which raises the C of G considerably. Combine that with the Rovers already loose suspension and the truck becomes pretty exciting to drive at high speeds and in off camber situations. If Scott will be using a trailer I just cant see the purpose for a rack.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
hochung said:
trees, no trees, doesn't matter. Scott needs a RACK.

Why?

Edit: Ok, ok... I'll leave it alone. :)

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
MEUSOC said:
Hey, at least Disco's are not top-heavy already...

???????!!!!!!! What?!?! My Disco's make my 110 feel like a soft top!

I'm not a rack fan unless I need the space. My Toy Disco will never have a Rack. My wife's (Karen) Disco XD has no Rack at the moment but she is determined to put it back on. My 110 has what equates to a Tent with a nice size "deck".

My take is only put it on if you need it or it's such a PITA to take off it's not worth it.
My Rack will come off the Defender once camping season is over.... Hmmmm is it ever over?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I had a full rack for my disco at one time. I ended up cutting it up and welding up a half rack. Then I ended up selling the half rack. Just never needed it. A basket rack that attaches to the disco roof rails is probably all you need in 99% of the cases but purists will poo poo it for the looks. Aside from my top heavy argument I just like the lines of a disco without the rack.

Scott Brady

Founder
I love the look of the Safety Devices, Land Rover Genuine rack, trust me.

I just do not have a need for one, and am not willing to sacrifice the economy, height and COG just for the looks.

And besides, Ho needs to have a few modifications to do to the Disco when he buys it from me in 2025 ;)

Navman

Adventurer
Purple People Eater said:
That's how I feel and how I'm going to approach my next build. That's the best approach, I believe.

Agreed. There is a place for big, heavy, endlessly modified rigs, but there is also a place for the simple approach.

Of course, when you are a crap mechanic like me then you can't stray too far from simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk