Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

Lecoq

Explorer
I ran into a small issue when getting ready on Friday. The problem came up when it was time to load the Pelican cooler. I pre=chilled it the night before to make sure it would be nice and cool on Friday when it was time to load it up. I started filling it up with all the things we had planned on eating during the weekend. Turns out we ran out of space. I thought the 35 qts would've been enough but I didn't into account the fact that once in a while the wife and both kids would be camping with me. So we ended up leaving some food at home and jamming as much as possible in the cooler. Unfortunate thing is I never really accounted for the amount of ice that would be in the cooler when I planned the meals for the weekend.

The inevitable happened and I ended up purchasing an ARB 50 qts (47L) fridge freezer. I'll have to make some tie downs for it and possibly a sliding platform at some point. It's not much bigger than the Pelican cooler and has a lot more capacity. Add the fact that I won't be needing to fill 1/3 of it with ice and it should be plenty of space for us. Looking forward to testing it this weekend. :)

You just light alight bulb for me. I never thought about how much space ice takes up in a cooler and how much more room I'd have in in a fridge/freezer of the same size. Now I have some more reasons for,the wife why we need a fridge/freezer thanks:)

mortonm

Expedition Leader
You just light alight bulb for me. I never thought about how much space ice takes up in a cooler and how much more room I'd have in in a fridge/freezer of the same size. Now I have some more reasons for,the wife why we need a fridge/freezer thanks:)

They are spectacular, but she has one very big reason against $$$ haha

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
Great looking WJ. They are hard to beat for what you get for the price. As long as you get a well-maintained one.

Lecoq

Explorer
Thank you.

Let me start by saying THANK YOU to the guys at ARB. I've been working with them since May to get the snorkel and they've been great to deal with. After looking at the ARB website countless time, I was left to wonder what was so different about the High Output V8 engine. After doing some research I looked at a friend's WJ with a regular V8 and noticed a difference in the air box. I did some more research and found a snorkel suitable to the HO V8 on the Australian Safari Snorkel site. After a few emails back and forth with the guys at ARB, it was established that they could most likely get their hands on one for me but I would be the first one in North America to get the HO version. I decided to go ahead with it and received it yesterday.

Part number is SS1145HF for those interested.

The install took me about 5 hours and the directions in the Safari instructions were spot on. No issues or differences between the right hand drive Australian model and the North American one from what I could tell.

On with the pictures:

Lecoq

Explorer
If anyone has questions about the install please feel free to ask.

Couple of pointers for those interested in doing this install:

-Measure 5 times and cut once.
-Look at the list of tools required and get all of them if you can. I used them all.
-Getting the nuts on the snorkel studs was a pain. make sure you do it before the rubber pipe gets hooked up.
-Some of the areas you need to drill in are sloped, even with a punch, it was hard to get the drill bits to bite. Took a lot of patience to get it right. Use a big punch.
-Tire doesn't need to come off if you have anymore than 2 inches of lift.

jpat30

Adventurer
Wow; That is awesome looking. Your WJ just gets better and better. Did it require modding the windshield washer reservoir?

Lecoq

Explorer
Yes, the washer reservoir has to be cut at the filler neck and a new relocated neck gets installed.

Lecoq

Explorer
Lucked out today.

The wife and I have been talking about a new camping setup for the past few weeks. We're looking at trailers, camper trailers, roof top tents and such. After looking at a couple of camper trailers on the weekend, I was offered the chance to BORROW my friend's roof top tent. I mounted it to the Jeep this afternoon and took it home for the wife and kids to have a look at. My son loved it so much I had to pry him out of it. I get a few days to drive it around and get a feel for it. Hopefully if the weather holds up this weekend I'll get a chance to sleep in it. I took some time to set it up and took it down a few times to see what was involved.

Even fits in the garage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp