Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

Lecoq

Explorer
I have been doing quite a bit of research in the past few weeks on Spot Connect and inReach communicator. I opted for the DeLorme InReach unit since it has 2 way text messaging and free topo maps built into the app. This enables me to use my Sony phone as the interface and GPS. I highly suggest it over the Spot.

Lecoq

Explorer
Well,

It's been a little while since I've updated this.

Lot has happened on the personal side so it's been hard finding time to get much done. Got a few big pieces on the way. Apart from that I had a chance to take a trip NE of Banff National park with some friends in early September. We went to a place with natural water slides. It was about 12 degrees celcius outside and the water must have been just over freezing.

Also got a bit of snow the second week of September.

And finally got around to installing new wheel bearings in the front along with Alloy USA balljoints (which happen to be made in Taiwan?!?!).

Lecoq

Explorer
Trip to the border today for pick up my long awaited rear bumper and sliders. I'm hoping to get them on very soon.

Also got the process started on covering the whole Jeep with Xpel paint protection film as I did on the 4Runner. I covered the ARB bumper right after it was painted and now I have the rear quarters and roof left to get done. It helps a lot with scratches on narrow trails and makes clean up much easier.

jpat30

Adventurer
Man that is a beautiful bumper you got there. It is going to look sweet on. Will you be painting it to match like you did the ARB on the front?

Lecoq

Explorer
Thank you.

I will be painting it like the front bumper. The only problem is that my painter is really busy right now. So the plan is to paint it black for now and I will drop it off to get it painted the first week of November.

Lecoq

Explorer
Everything is installed! :wings:

The bumper was a pain to install but I was expecting that after reading a few threads about it. Took about 3 hours to get it installed in total. Sliders were also a bit of a pain because of where you have to drill on the "frame".

Here it goes:

Rear rebar with all the cuts and trimming done.

Inside of the bumper was painted and undercoated first.

Test fitting everything.

All painted up and installed.

With gas can and OEM spare.

Sliders:

Overall I'm really happy with the results. I had a great experience dealing with Mike Wiley at Protofab for the bumper. The options I added were installed with no issues. The bumper is extremely well built and really strong. Welds are amazing and everything fits perfectly. I was quoted 5-6 weeks for build time and about a week for shipping and I received it in 5 weeks.

As for the sliders, again, very well built. JCR was great to deal with and even tho they quoted me 2 weeks to build they ended up having my sliders in stock ready to ship. The fitment is great and workmanship is amazing. I will be painting them a darker shade of grey as soon as time permits.

The rear of the Jeep is definitely feeling the extra weight. I'm thinking a suspension upgrade is in order sooner than later...

madZJ

Observer
That bumper looks great. You are already running OME HD springs in the rear so are you going to add air bags or just get bigger springs?

Lecoq

Explorer
Thanks madzj.

The OME HD is rated for 1.5 inch lift loaded. I'm sitting at around 2 inches of lift right now with the bumper but no gear in the truck. By the time I load up the Jeep to go camping with the fridge and all the stuff I'm thinking I'll be sagged down to the 1.5 inch mark. I'm going to be looking for more ground clearance under the body. Most likely do the upgrade to long arms since my factory control arms are getting a bit tired.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Question about the rear skid, how is it finished on the front edge? Any concern of it acting as a scoop in the snow or mud?

madZJ

Observer
I am looking at the Clayton 4.5" long arm if I go any higher. Heck I'm considering it minus the springs just because I want a better ride.

jpat30

Adventurer
That bumper looks absolutely gorgeous on. Love it. You say you are feeling the extra weight; what do you think it weighs in at?

Lecoq

Explorer
Question about the rear skid, how is it finished on the front edge? Any concern of it acting as a scoop in the snow or mud?

It has a built in lip that prevents most stuff from getting in. I'm sure some snow or mud will find a way through. I just have to clean it more often. I also undercoated the inside of that lip in anticipation of it.

I am looking at the Clayton 4.5" long arm if I go any higher. Heck I'm considering it minus the springs just because I want a better ride.

The Clayton 4.5 would probably sag down to a 3.5 or even 3" with all the weight. Great for running 32's.

That bumper looks absolutely gorgeous on. Love it. You say you are feeling the extra weight; what do you think it weighs in at?

I think the bumper must be around 150-160 pounds with the swing outs. Add the spare tire and gas can to that. Definitely feel it driving around.

Lecoq

Explorer
Been almost a month since last update.

As previously discussed, I was really starting to feel the weight of the rear bumper. I looked high and low at all the suspension options. At first I was considering Clayton Offroad 6 inch long arm kit. It would net me about 5 inches with all the extra weight I have, which is more than I really wanted, but then again it would look great. After looking at the associated costs relating to the long arm install (limiting straps, custom rear driveshaft, gears etc) I decided against it. I just wasn't going to spend that much on a suspension setup. Not at this time anyways.

I did some more research and thought deeply about where I wanted the Jeep to sit. I was happy with the 3 inch lift. Civilized enough for daily driving and capable enough for the weekend trip we do. I honestly would rather invest in a roof top tent at this point than long arm suspension.

I ended up purchasing adjustable front and rear upper and lower control arms from Iron Rock Offroad along with some Bilstein 5125 shocks. The price was fair and the service from IRO was some of the best I've experienced. In terms of getting the Jeep to sit level I opted for Rubicon Express 2 inch budget boost to add to my OME HD springs. I was happy with the ride of the OME springs and they handle the weight with no issues. That way I was able to keep the good ride and on road manners of the OME and boost them up the much needed height.

I just finished installing the rear this evening and I'm more than happy with the results.

And the final product.

As it sits right now I have 20.5 inch from hub to fender in the front and 21 inch hub to fender in the rear. I'll post more pictures when I get to replace all the front control arms.

juicexj24

Observer
Looks great. I have used IRO products for years now and seeing your control arms has me ready to make that jump for the front. What length did you set the arms at in the front? I have 3" IRO coils and assume your OME HD coils are about the same height? Did you use a coil spacer upfront as well with the ARB bumper?

Thanks

mtnhigh

Lecoq, your rig looks great!! Is that IRO's "short" upper A arm in the rear? There has been a lot of talk about their original arm being too long, but I noticed recently, they have a shorter version. Just curious if that is what you used? The rear axle looks centered perfectly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp