Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

jpat30

Adventurer
Lecog,
Your rig is looking great as usual. I just looked at IRO website; Did you order your new control arms a la carte or did you order the package deal?

Lecoq

Explorer
Looks great. I have used IRO products for years now and seeing your control arms has me ready to make that jump for the front. What length did you set the arms at in the front? I have 3" IRO coils and assume your OME HD coils are about the same height? Did you use a coil spacer upfront as well with the ARB bumper?

Thanks

I have yet to install the front. I can post the lenghts when I get around to it. No coil spacers in the front yet. I ended up with 2.5 inches of lift on the front with the OME springs once the bumper was on. I'm not sure if it'll sag any more with a winch in there.

Lecoq, your rig looks great!! Is that IRO's "short" upper A arm in the rear? There has been a lot of talk about their original arm being too long, but I noticed recently, they have a shorter version. Just curious if that is what you used? The rear axle looks centered perfectly!

I bought the short version. It's adjusted as short as possible right now. I'm not sure if I'll adjust it anymore. I'm getting a small driveline vibration that I suspect is coming from the rear pinion angle being off or some bad U joints.

Lecog,
Your rig is looking great as usual. I just looked at IRO website; Did you order your new control arms a la carte or did you order the package deal?

I ordered the package deal of adjustable upper and lower front / lower rear and added the rear short A arm to that with some Bilstein shocks.

Just went through the build. Great job. The WJ looks great.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words. Hoping all the information helps whoever is working on their WJ.

jpat30

Adventurer
Lecog,
Thanks for the replies and yes your info is EXTREMELY helpful to us WJs out here; at least me anyway:)

Lecoq

Explorer
Better pictures.

Front is all installed except for the shocks. Still have to get the alignment done this week.

Lecoq

Explorer
No, I'm not interested in losing the valuable storage space in the spare tire well. Right now I have my recovery kit and tools in there. I'm planning on having a second battery, Blue Sea fuse box at some point to run accessories from the trunk area.

Redman333

Adventurer
I'm glad I found your rig. It looks great!! I am in search for a GC the same as yours. Either the limited or the overland but either way I'm wanting the quadradrive 4wd system.

t4rFL

Adventurer
No, I'm not interested in losing the valuable storage space in the spare tire well. Right now I have my recovery kit and tools in there. I'm planning on having a second battery, Blue Sea fuse box at some point to run accessories from the trunk area.

looks great. i agree with you on this....i would rather the extra storage space.

Lecoq

Explorer
Need some opinions on wheel and tire setup. I'm looking to go with a wider stance. Here are the options I'm considering:

1.Adding Spidertrax 1.25 inch wheel spacers all the way around. Keeping stock wheels and the 32 inch General I've got on there.

2.Getting 17 inch wheels with a better offset. I had AEV Savegre in mind but after reading from various places about people having wheels cracking or breaking on them with no warranty I'm a bit worried about them holding up. The cost is fairly high and I'm not sure how bad the issues are on the scale of how many wheels are sold.

3.Getting 16 inch wheel with a better offset. This size is hard to come by in a 5x5 bolt pattern for some reason, maybe I'm just picky on the styles I like but I find most wheels tasteless apart from maybe the Fuel Anza D558 : http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel.cfm?id=4047 Not sure what the offset would be like on the WJ? At this point I'd get new tires as well. 16 inch tires seem to be about $50 cheaper each than their 17 inch equivalent.

4.16 inch JK steel wheels. I have a set of 8 sitting in the basement. I'd have to run them with spacers. They're cheap, disposable and I got them for free. Not the best looking wheels but they might do the trick for a cheap setup. Again, I would get some new tires at the same time.

Looking to see what you guys have for experience and opinions. I'm always a bit wary about wheel spacers since it's an extra part that gets added to the mix. Had a set on my 4Runner and I always felt like they were "flexing" under load...most likely just in my head.

jpat30

Adventurer
I am not a fan of spacers either, in my opinion it is just something else to have to worry about. I would give consideration to the AEVs that you mentioned. The guys over at 4 Wheeler Magazine are building a WJ complete with IRO 4 inch long arm lift and all the goodies. They mounted a set of the 17X9.5 Savegres in black on a set of 265 70 17 (32) General Grabber 2s. They look outstanding and the magazine has given the setup rave reviews.

Lecoq

Explorer
I've seen the red WJ you're talking about. It looks great. That's why I was strongly considering them. The Savegre doesn't seem to have the cracking issues that the Pintler have. Not that I can find anyways.

Another option is to wait it out and get Hutchinson beadlocks when the time is right. Definitely the better wheel in my opinion but it comes at more than twice the cost and it's more of a wheel than I really need...

t4rFL

Adventurer
Need some opinions on wheel and tire setup. I'm looking to go with a wider stance. Here are the options I'm considering:

1.Adding Spidertrax 1.25 inch wheel spacers all the way around. Keeping stock wheels and the 32 inch General I've got on there.

2.Getting 17 inch wheels with a better offset. I had AEV Savegre in mind but after reading from various places about people having wheels cracking or breaking on them with no warranty I'm a bit worried about them holding up. The cost is fairly high and I'm not sure how bad the issues are on the scale of how many wheels are sold.

3.Getting 16 inch wheel with a better offset. This size is hard to come by in a 5x5 bolt pattern for some reason, maybe I'm just picky on the styles I like but I find most wheels tasteless apart from maybe the Fuel Anza D558 : http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel.cfm?id=4047 Not sure what the offset would be like on the WJ? At this point I'd get new tires as well. 16 inch tires seem to be about $50 cheaper each than their 17 inch equivalent.

4.16 inch JK steel wheels. I have a set of 8 sitting in the basement. I'd have to run them with spacers. They're cheap, disposable and I got them for free. Not the best looking wheels but they might do the trick for a cheap setup. Again, I would get some new tires at the same time.

Looking to see what you guys have for experience and opinions. I'm always a bit wary about wheel spacers since it's an extra part that gets added to the mix. Had a set on my 4Runner and I always felt like they were "flexing" under load...most likely just in my head.

I would personally stay away from wheel spacers. i ran the good quality Spidertrax ones and after a few hundred miles my lug nut bolts sheared off while driving in a parking lot. won't ever go back.

when i had the spacers i also had the JK steel wheels and they looked nicer painted black, but i also wanted the wider stance, so i bought some d-window wheels from Jegs (about $60 ea.). they have 4" of backspacing and the tires stick out as much as my old spacers. i'm happy with them for now.
DSC_5727_zps8b3d1466.jpg

i really like those Fuel Anzo wheels and that will be something i switch to in the future when i can afford to spend that much on wheels. looking at the 16x8 and 5x5 pattern it says 4.5" of backspacing, so .5" more than what mine look like^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp