Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Small update, but found some time to install the exhaust...

Out with the old...

image.jpg

And on with the shiny....

image.jpg

It sounds great with the Flowmaster 40, but that's getting chopped off a bit shorter before I destroy it on a rock.... :D

image.jpg

Also, managed to install my Warn M8000 with synthetic rope....

image.jpg

I found it nice and convenient that there is still enough room on either side of the winch to install some flush mounted fogs into the bumper. I'm adding that project to my list ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Winch installed without the Hawse fairlead.

image.jpg

I realized quickly that the normal Hawse won't work with this bumper, since the opening is between the bottom two winch mount bolts. I hopped online and found an offset Hawse from Southeast Overland.

I got it for $63 shipped: http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...ct_id=132&virtuemart_category_id=15&Itemid=33

It shipped quickly and the product looks excellent!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Even with the offset Hawse, I still ended up having to trim some of the bumper so that the synthetic rope wouldn't rub at all.

You can see where I carved a line where the Hawse mounts to remove enough metal so that it doesn't chew up the line. I also placed some cardboard in front of the winch line so the sparks from the grinder wouldn't burn the winch line.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Installed. I'm VERY happy with how well the offset Hawse covers up the gap opening in the bumper, which was largely the goal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I haven't had a chance to install the solenoid pack, but the plan is to extend the wires from the winch control plug, and mount it in the top side of the bumper in front of the headlight. That will be in the next week or so...

Anyways, that's all for now. This Sunday the 8th, rain permitting, will see the welding in of the patch panels in the floorboards. Then comes the deluge of parts installed in the interior! :D

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Excited to say that the XJ is FINALLY rust free!

It took me probably about 10hrs to cut out and prep all of the patch panels to be welded in.

image.jpg

Passenger rear floorboard.....

image.jpg

Cargo area patch panel getting cut down to size.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rear passenger floorboard with all rust removed......

image.jpg

My little buddy from next door came to visit while I was working in the garage.... :D

image.jpg

A couple of the patch panels fitted....

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
It took my buddy Paul about 10hrs total to tack and weld in all of the panels. He's not terribly used to doing sheet metal, so it took some adjusting to not blow holes through it with his welder....

image.jpg

Patch panels welded in! :D

I've got some POR-15 on order to paint over the exposed metal to prevent rust hopefully forever. It's pretty expensive stuff, at around $30/pint, but I've heard nothing but good things over the years about it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I still need to pick up quite a few things for the sleep platform build, but that project gets started within the next week or so.... :D

Hasley84

Nice build. Well thought out. I really like it when people put there time and effort into building up an older Rig.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Well, there goes another month! :rolleyes:

I've been busy, but have done a little work to the XJ and managed to fit in 2 wheelin/camping trips with friends! :D

Progress is going to pick up major within the next 3 weeks, as I now have more free time than I've had in the past year! 👍🏻

I recently picked up some 4-6in XJ lift springs. The plan is to cannibalize the packs and experiment with my current leaf packs to see if I can keep the XJ level once the sleep platform is installed with all of the gear.

image.jpg

Also, did a quick camping trip to Crabtree Falls with a couple of buddies who not only both own XJ's, but also KLR650's, which they use for Overlanding.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
On the way home, I stopped to get gas for the last leg home, and my heater control valve decided to give up, spewing coolant all over the place.

Luckily I was only a mile from an O'Reilly Auto Parts. I called them and not only did they have the part, but the Manager named Brian Reed picked me up and drove me to his store and back to buy merely $30 worth of parts. Now THAT is excellent customer service! :D I gave him $20 for his generosity!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Moving along, I also picked up a spare NP231 Transfer case for a song.

The plan is to rebuild it and also do an SYE with an XJ front driveshaft in the rear. That way, I can use a stock double cardon and if I ever break the rear shaft off-road and can't fix it, I can swap the front in to get me home, considering I don't have to have it either lengthened or shortened.

image.jpg

I just started a new job recently, so I've now got access to a lift and shop 24/7. :D

A week didn't go by and the XJ already started getting some love.

image.jpg

I had a slight gas smell coming from the engine, so I decided to do all new fuel injector o-rings to reduce the risk of a fire....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also finally got around to treating all of the panels that were welded in to the rear hatch and floorboard area.

I used POR-15, which I've heard nothing but good things about for the past 17yrs that I've been involved in the Off-road community.

At $32/pint, it damn well better be good!!! Apparently it seals metal completely and doesn't allow rust in again, ever! According to all of the reviews and friends within the off-road community that have used it, this stuff really works. I personally think it'll be a better option than all of the horror stories that I've read about people doing bedliner on their interior, and somehow over time a pinhole in the liner leaked enough water in to cause rust. I've personally seen this happen on a lot of pickup beds.

I used a wire wheel to prep the rusty areas. It says on the POR-15 container that you can just paint right over rust, but I really don't think that's a good idea.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
Since I liked the way the POR-15 turned out on all of the welded panels, I decided to buy a quart at around $45 and do the entire interior, that way I won't have to(hopefully) deal with rust again, ever!!

I did two coats. A light top coat and a thicker second. Coverage was great and I've still got about 2/3 of a quart left. Two pints will do all of the floorboards and cargo area, but I wanted some extra to do the underside of the XJ, especially above the exhaust. This stuff seems to handle heat with absolutely no issues after a couple weeks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The reason that I left the trans tunnel unpainted, is because I still need to route and drill a hole for my Comanche Foot pedal E-brake setup. I'm also re-sealing the shifter plate and 4wd handle bezel, as they leak hot air into the cabin when I've got my windows down. 

I also pulled the RTT off to FINALLY apply the water protectant that I bought a while back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This stuff is $90/gallon shipped on Amazon. From what I've read, it's one of, if not the best! 

I applied it with a spray bottle, making sure I got every inch of the tent with it, including the rain fly.

image.jpg

As you can see from the video, it's works amazingly!! :D

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
I had a buddy of mine from Oklahoma come to visit this past weekend. He just bought a new JK Rubicon, and he's never driven off-road before, so I thought what better way than to head up to the mountains? :D

We headed up to a place called Spitzer Lake, which is about 20miles west of Harrisonburg, VA on the western side of the state about 2 miles from the West Virginia line.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The trails up to "Flagpole Knob" aren't very challenging, but you do need a 4x4 to get up them.

The views, however, are spectacular! This is at the top of Flagpole Knob in the George Washington National Forrest. It gives you a 360* view. You can also see West Virginia about 6 miles away to the west.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is on top of Reddish Knob, which is just a few miles away from Flagpole Knob, at the end of the trail. It's paved the entire way up to the top. I can remember being there about 20yrs ago, when it was just a gravel fire road. All of the graffiti is from local college students that visit often.

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds said they used to smoke pot on Reddish Knob when they were younger. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyways, more build progress this week. Next up is to test fit and install my Comanche E-Brake pedal setup. :D

Last edited:

mtbxj87

Adventurer
Nice work. POR15 is great. I used it a lot when I was working in a body shop. A little FYI, it doesn't adhere to clean paint and clean steel to well, it has to be rusted. You'll be ok, but it may peel up.

2drx4

Adventurer
Good job on the build.

And about the above, if you're going to use POR15 on old paint or clean steel, make sure it's been hit with some coarse grit to give it a lot of roughness to bite into. Then it should be fine. You'll be okay either way, it's definitely going to stay stuck to the parts that matter, and probably stay stuck to the rest of it anyways.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Nice work. POR15 is great. I used it a lot when I was working in a body shop. A little FYI, it doesn't adhere to clean paint and clean steel to well, it has to be rusted. You'll be ok, but it may peel up.

Good job on the build.

And about the above, if you're going to use POR15 on old paint or clean steel, make sure it's been hit with some coarse grit to give it a lot of roughness to bite into. Then it should be fine. You'll be okay either way, it's definitely going to stay stuck to the parts that matter, and probably stay stuck to the rest of it anyways.

I actually hit the entire interior that I painted with a high speed wire wheel to give it a rougher texture, but I'm glad ya'll mentioned it!

So far after about 2 weeks, I've had no issues after plenty of driving and a wheelin trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal