Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

F40

Adventurer
Nice photos.

For some inspiration, this is how I re-mounted my bumper after it decided to part ways with my Jeep.

00A575CF-ED19-4168-B39C-7DCE2A2D53AA_zpskflogfc4.jpg

43D51B29-93B2-43C7-B5EF-23A1C82F51A7_zpseyac1iki.jpg

DF55A560-5D7B-4347-BEE3-B2DFAC2850A0_zps3y4nrsbs.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
How's the glare with your bro bar being forward of the back edge of the windshield? My company sells some and I was thinking about getting one but I'm worried about how usable it is with the glare off the windshield and hood.

Honestly the glare isn't bad. I haven't hard wired it yet, but I have tested it. If the glare ends up becoming an issue, there are vinyl kits out there that you can cut to fit the raised area of the hood if necessary. I think I saw the kit on Amazon.

Looking good!

Thank you!

Overland History

Wanderluster
Nice photos.

For some inspiration, this is how I re-mounted my bumper after it decided to part ways with my Jeep.

00A575CF-ED19-4168-B39C-7DCE2A2D53AA_zpskflogfc4.jpg

43D51B29-93B2-43C7-B5EF-23A1C82F51A7_zpseyac1iki.jpg

DF55A560-5D7B-4347-BEE3-B2DFAC2850A0_zps3y4nrsbs.jpg

Damn Pat, thanks for the inspiration! I've been brainstorming this for days, but what you did looks perfect! I'm gonna start collecting the steel for that project! ;)

What size is the steel sleeve that you slid into the frame?

Overland History

Wanderluster
I managed to pick up a used Warn M8000 with synthetic line for a good deal today.

I ordered an M8000 with steel cable originally, but cancelled it once I found out a buddy had this one for sale. :D

Mounting it will be interesting, considering the bumper I bought didn't leave much room for mounting the solenoid pack underneath, but the plan is to mount it on the crossbrace between the frame. I'm also going to modify and remotely mount the plug for the winch control on top of the bumper. That project will likely happen this week...

image.jpg

I've passed by this old house many times over the years out in the country, and figured since I had some time after buying the winch, I'd grab a quick pic before they knock it down soon.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I know a couple locally building up an overland XJ for a north america tip for their honeymoon lol. They are super nice people and just starting to build their XJ. It's a grey one. Here's a pic. I think he has more on his facebook page if you want message me an I will link it to you. View attachment 326109
Lol hey that's me and my wife! :) lol thanks Al! Great build Bajaxj92! I found it searching for onboard shower setups! I like what you've pieced together. :) my build is the love boat build thread.

F40

Adventurer
Damn Pat, thanks for the inspiration! I've been brainstorming this for days, but what you did looks perfect! I'm gonna start collecting the steel for that project! ;)

What size is the steel sleeve that you slid into the frame?

2"x4" 1/8" wall. It's held up pretty well. I was rear ended by a Jetta recently at about 35mph and the unibody is surprisingly still straight. The Jetta not so much...

Overland History

Wanderluster
2"x4" 1/8" wall. It's held up pretty well. I was rear ended by a Jetta recently at about 35mph and the unibody is surprisingly still straight. The Jetta not so much...

I think you got lucky considering all of the force that it took!

Thanks for the info, it's literally priceless! ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
My muffler recently decided to come apart on the inside, so it kinda sounds like I'm making popcorn going down the road at low speeds.

Pulled the trigger on a Flowmaster 40 Catback system....

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
Is that old house in smithfield? Awesome build thread, my XJ has a similar build.
View attachment 342074

Yes it is, just outside of town by about 2 or 3 miles. Are you from that area? They're now building a large housing development on the huge piece of property behind that old house.

Also, do you have a build thread for your XJ? It looks great, wouldn't mind reading it!

Overland History

Wanderluster
Is your cat in good shape? Mine sounded like that when it failed.

Yup, I'm certain it was the muffler. I'm familiar with the sound of a bad cat, as both of them failed on my '96 Land Rover D1, with a direct replacment to the tune of $1500. I only paid $2k for the whole truck! ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Im from Newport News and used to go to Charlie Daniels Racing which is right down the street from that house. I haven't put together a build thread but I really need to, I'll let you know when I start one.

I've heard about Charlie Daniel's Racing, just never been there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal