OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dstefan

What heater is that?
Its a Truma Vario. The fat hose is air intake from outside and the exhaust is a smaller hose inside of that. I looked hard at Propex and would have gone with one, but couldn’t make the placement work out with the way the intake and exhaust hoses have to be on those.

i’ve only used it a bit on two trips, this spring, but I like it a lot. It’s real effective and it’s quiet, and it helps remove condensation from the inside.

gabrielk

FS: my 2022 OVLRND camper and 2012 F-150 (package or separate). Help find a better home for this one!

319887813_474554768128976_2851299282621554972_n.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Working well through hot and cold! Good 3m spray adhesive is a must. I even haul large stuff around town with the doors open and the carpet has stayed at highway speeds.

Thinking about a 270 free standing awning for the passenger side of the camper. What have you fellow OVRLND owners been using. Trying to stay around $1K. Thanks Jeff

KellyM

Adventurer
Thinking about a 270 free standing awning for the passenger side of the camper. What have you fellow OVRLND owners been using. Trying to stay around $1K. Thanks Jeff
I have the OVS 270LT. It works extremely well, but won't completely keep rain out, particularly above the tailgate.

dstefan

I have a 23Zero 180° on the back of the camper. Its great structurally, easy to deploy and stow. Decent in the rain since I made a gutter that works over the tailgate. Light too - just 22lbs (using Jay fabricated brackets, not their boat anchors designed for racks).

Downsides are water pooling in rain (not that big a deal) and it gets hot, really hot, in direct sun. Over 75° in the direct sun, I have to throw a reflective sheet on top, which is a hassle, and then it’s OK. Hard to believe its an Aussie company … I‘ve heard rumors they have sun there too …🤔

1693514585939.png

1693514653008.png

dirtnsmores

Just wanted to say I'm looking at getting one of these campers. Going to read through this entire thread over the next few days. I currently have a 2006 2wd double cab long bed that I love, but it's getting tight in the cab on long trips with wife, 2 kids, and dog. And, it's 2wd. It's served me well offroad but it's always on my mind and I'm super careful. Trying to decide if I want to get a 1st gen 4wd double cab Tundra before I commit to this camper, or just "run what I have" and order it for my Tacoma. Decisions decisions.

dstefan

Just wanted to say I'm looking at getting one of these campers. Going to read through this entire thread over the next few days. I currently have a 2006 2wd double cab long bed that I love, but it's getting tight in the cab on long trips with wife, 2 kids, and dog. And, it's 2wd. It's served me well offroad but it's always on my mind and I'm super careful. Trying to decide if I want to get a 1st gen 4wd double cab Tundra before I commit to this camper, or just "run what I have" and order it for my Tacoma. Decisions decisions.
I had an ’06 DC Tacoma pre-runner that got me into tons of places I didn’t think it could. Traded it on an ’09 TRD OR 4wd to up my odds of getting back out of those places too! I get it, its a hard decision process.

I really wanted to put an Ovrlnd on my ’09 Tacoma as it was built out and I loved it, except for the seats (I’m 6’3”). One of the things that sold me on the ’21 Tundra DC with the 6.5’ bed was laying-out the bed dimensions of both the Tacoma and the Tundra beds on the floor with blue tape, then mocking up some things that would go in the bed with boxes — fridge, battery, built in possibilities, etc.

Guy on EP who posted as @Pshin (don’t think he’s active anymore, but you can find his posts in a search) had a nice Ovrlnd build on a Colorado with the same bed size as the DC Tacomas. He took a picture for me of the standing room with the bed pulled out and it was tight — you can find it in his thread. That plus my blue tape layout, plus the seat comfort caused me to go to the Tundra and I couldn’t be happier! BTW, Pshin sold his rig shortly after building things out due (AFAIK) to the size and comfort issues . . .

FWIW, the DC Tundras jump seats are actually pretty roomy and comfy. I have had two adults be comfortable in the back for several days of wheeling — they’d be fine for kids, unless they are older future NBA players. When folded up, they also leave quite a bit of room, which I usually devote to a (removable) platform system for storage.

spirtwolf

In the process of building out the OVRLND camper I recently bought, have it on a 2009 GMC 1500 Z71. I would like to get rid of the clamps and just bolt it directly to the bed, has anyone else on here done this and if so what size bolts would you recommend?

K9LTW

In the process of building out the OVRLND camper I recently bought, have it on a 2009 GMC 1500 Z71. I would like to get rid of the clamps and just bolt it directly to the bed, has anyone else on here done this and if so what size bolts would you recommend?
I had to go partial bolt-thru and partial clamps due to the insanely dumb tapered design of my RAM's bed. With that said, I just went with 3/8" bolts (Grade V, I think) and good, solid fender washers that fit under the bed rails. Some folks have gone so far as to cut up wood blocks to fit under there to disperse weight. I've slammed mine around over thousands and thousands of miles from interstate speeds to making my diff armor cry foul and have had zero issues. I used standard nuts with split lock washers and some blue Loc Tite to be sure. Nothing's budged at all.

aaaslayer

I used 3/8" bolts grade 8, fender washers, lock nuts. No wood blocks, and used 4 bolts per side on my 2021 Ram 6'4 bed. Yes it is tapered slightly, but not to the point of not being able to use 4 bolts per side. I did have to slightly grind off a piece of my fender washer towards the end of the bed cap due to taper, but still managed to fit the bolt dead center and use a modified (cut) fender washer. 2 years like that almost, and no movement. Lots of offroad trails that rock my truck and camper side to side. The clamps get in the way when building out the inside. Bolt it. Totally worth the time and effort.

K9LTW

I used 3/8" bolts grade 8, fender washers, lock nuts. No wood blocks, and used 4 bolts per side on my 2021 Ram 6'4 bed. Yes it is tapered slightly, but not to the point of not being able to use 4 bolts per side. I did have to slightly grind off a piece of my fender washer towards the end of the bed cap due to taper, but still managed to fit the bolt dead center and use a modified (cut) fender washer. 2 years like that almost, and no movement. Lots of offroad trails that rock my truck and camper side to side. The clamps get in the way when building out the inside. Bolt it. Totally worth the time and effort.
To be fair...I'd already added insulation and walls to mine so I couldn't get enough purchase in my RAM. So...let that be a lesson to those reading this. Bolt it FIRST :cautious:

dstefan

Not sure if this applies to non-Tundras, but FWIW I’m still dealing with clamps, and they don’t budge over lots of rough offroad. I still check ‘em, but they’re never loose after the first couple months and a few tightenings. They are still annoying as far as being in the way occasionally, but not really a big deal for me.

The lack of movement may be due to them engaging the Toyota factory bed rail channel, vs clamping under the rim of the bed? It also makes it waaaay harder to bolt down on the Tundras.

Pink2

So excited to be a new owner
3fd416030fc9ae21cd5f0bbec120062e.jpg

90c9743b3cb03a47519e77defc5ce30b.jpg

de5d279d75acb4e19c4fa36f92f10bfd.jpg

2e93d0c6203ac98b7b65fb4168ab8908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77