Past the point of no return...

jim65wagon

Realistically however, the big heavy V8's would miss the mark. Overburdened and overpowered isn't the way of the Tacoma.

Realistically, it would only be adding 200, maybe 300 lbs to the truck (like letting your fat friend ride with you), which is way less than what is already added to the truck. The truck is probably overburdened the way it sits now....and I don't understand that other word - "overpowered" I don't think that really exists....

BTW T, are the Alcans on?

verticaltrx

Observer
Neither do Dana frames, but they (Tacomas) have them.;)

:coffee:

And hence my comment. My '97 Tacoma was recently sent to the crusher due to the frame rotting out, at least Toyota stood behind it enough to give a buy back.

[/thread hijack]

As to the OP, I would vote to keep the 3RZ, they are great little motors. Mine had 270K on it with nary a problem. When you get into engine swaps, even really clean ones, there are often some little reliability gremlins that creep up.
:ylsmoke:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Updates wanted!

Not as much as Ballistic Fab Spring Hangers wanted! They were supposed to be delivered last WED - Cam called and after a lengthy pause on hold they replied that they forgot to send them. Should be here any day now (where have we heard THAT before?).

Realistically, it would only be adding 200, maybe 300 lbs to the truck (like letting your fat friend ride with you), which is way less than what is already added to the truck. The truck is probably overburdened the way it sits now....and I don't understand that other word - "overpowered" I don't think that really exists....

BTW T, are the Alcans on?

I don't care about power I just want take it for a ride. This is very traumatic, this extended separation. I can't tell you the last time I was able to buff it to a high sheen with a cloth diaper (well, actually it was 11 November 2010). It's just embarassing to just sit there at the shop on a welding stool in the cold staring at the Tacoma - at least Vince was kind enough to put a welding blanket over my shoulders. But I know you understand.

The ALCANs are teasingly draped in front of the truck along with the TG crossmember, its steel plate glistening in the flourescent shoplights, lying seductively ready to embrace the transmission mount and tame it's thrust. GAWD - I need to get this truck home.

The good news is I get to spend more quality time with the spouse... :coffee:

Getting some other minor things accomplished too, like beefing up the frame horns for the ARB bumper, re-PCing the jerry can carrier since we did some mods to it, and a mysterious grille modification that pays homage to the classic FJ40 and is good for at least 3 HP - ooo - titillating, eh?

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
And hence my comment. My '97 Tacoma was recently sent to the crusher due to the frame rotting out, at least Toyota stood behind it enough to give a buy back.

[/thread hijack]

As to the OP, I would vote to keep the 3RZ, they are great little motors. Mine had 270K on it with nary a problem. When you get into engine swaps, even really clean ones, there are often some little reliability gremlins that creep up.
:ylsmoke:

I am SO sorry. My sympathy for your loss.

Yours is the winning vote - I shall keep the 3RZ. Actually, my wife recently learned the real (almost) cost of the SAC... :Wow1:

Adventurer
I don't have a whole lot to add, but it is nice to see a Tacoma SAS using Toyota based parts. IMO Dana axles don't belong under a Toyota (I'm sure many will disagree however.)

Why not?
Gear heads on a mission, will turn any vehicle into a Heinz 57. Look at hotrod builders, backyard and professional. With the exception of brand loyalists and restoration builders.
I think it's exciting, making non OEM parts fit.

Tango's thread has me glued, because of the unique build approach and his choice of the Trailgear axle.

If a part, any part, accomplishes a particular goal and it works quite well... use it, IMO.
I had Toyota heads try talking me out of slapping 63" Chevy 1/2 ton leafs in the rear. I'm glad I went with my gut. The 63's exceed my expectations and saved me a heck of a lot of money... cost $80, now I have amazing travel in the rear. I'd do it again, in a heart beat.
Replacing a leaf or a pack is just a matter of going to the junk yard and choosing one from multiple donors, they're everywhere, sometimes free, like my spare leaf pack in my shed.
The Chevy's allow me to upgrade to a front SAS from my current C/O IFS without major rear suspension mods. Longer Shackles, shocks, maybe a degree shim, and a 4th leaf and I' done for the rear, pretty cost effective.

I found a waggy d44 for $150, which will live under my front end, can't wait! :wings: By the time I'm done (never done..LOL) my Taco will be a Toy-chev-eep.
A Dana 60 is really beefy and fits well under Toyota's, Mog axles under Toy's, nothings beating that. Some glue Rockwell axles under Toyota's.

To each their own, anyone doing a SAS has their own reason choosing parts and setup. That's what makes project builds interesting.
I'm not one to be 100% brand loyal, I like the Frankenstein approach.
Over the years hot rod's and rat rod builds really suck me in, I learn a lot from these builders.... the most inspiring out take is, anything is possible.

But that's me.:coffeedrink:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Very true Ryan. The only Toy parts are FJ60 knuckles and hubs; 4Runner steering box, rotors, and caliper; inspiration from the 80-series Land Cruiser radius arm suspension; and T100 oil pan and associated parts. Rest is Trail Gear, Ballistic Fab, FROR, ICON, ARB, and Nitro. Oh, and an axle breather fitting from an FJ40.

Iron Pig built it stronger. They have the technology. :ylsmoke:

Adventurer

X2 sorry for the loss, I feel for you.

Actually, my wife recently learned the real (almost) cost of the SAC... :Wow1:

Good thing you had that quality time with her.. minimal time and a staggering invoice total... eek! tension! :eek:

Question!

Out of curiosity, what are you using for your steering shaft setup?
I'm leaning towards the Borgeson steering shaft and u-joints.
Any pics of your steering shaft setup?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Question! Out of curiosity, what are you using for your steering shaft setup? I'm leaning towards the Borgeson steering shaft and u-joints. Any pics of your steering shaft setup?

Double D shaft and Borgerson's. FROR offers a direct replacement firewall steering plate with boot that has the correct angle for the shaft and seals up the cab. Note the support shaft Ryan (IPOR) tucked through the stock spring buckets.

DSCF5425.jpg

Adventurer
Right on! Thanks Tim,
Looks Beefy!
Again another take, on steering shafts. :cool:
I like the the support shaft placement ... does it have a grease zerk?
Can you confirm these part#'s for the u-joints? I'd appreciate it. I'm in cross referencing mode. :costumed-smiley-007
BRG-014909
BRG-013452

The IFS steering box has a 26 spline count... no?

The double drive shaft (2 taco shafts?) it doesn't look like its collapsible/ adjustable.. or is it? Just wondering, in case of front end impact.

verticaltrx

Observer

Yours is the winning vote - I shall keep the 3RZ. Actually, my wife recently learned the real (almost) cost of the SAC... :Wow1:

Thanks, at least it was basically an even swap for the '97 4runner I just purchased. After having it a couple weeks the 4runner actually fits my needs better than the Tacoma did, so in the end it worked out pretty good.

Why not?
Gear heads on a mission, will turn any vehicle into a Heinz 57. Look at hotrod builders, backyard and professional. With the exception of brand loyalists and restoration builders.
I think it's exciting, making non OEM parts fit.

Tango's thread has me glued, because of the unique build approach and his choice of the Trailgear axle.

If a part, any part, accomplishes a particular goal and it works quite well... use it, IMO.
I had Toyota heads try talking me out of slapping 63" Chevy 1/2 ton leafs in the rear. I'm glad I went with my gut. The 63's exceed my expectations and saved me a heck of a lot of money... cost $80, now I have amazing travel in the rear. I'd do it again, in a heart beat.
Replacing a leaf or a pack is just a matter of going to the junk yard and choosing one from multiple donors, they're everywhere, sometimes free, like my spare leaf pack in my shed.
The Chevy's allow me to upgrade to a front SAS from my current C/O IFS without major rear suspension mods. Longer Shackles, shocks, maybe a degree shim, and a 4th leaf and I' done for the rear, pretty cost effective.

I found a waggy d44 for $150, which will live under my front end, can't wait! :wings: By the time I'm done (never done..LOL) my Taco will be a Toy-chev-eep.
A Dana 60 is really beefy and fits well under Toyota's, Mog axles under Toy's, nothings beating that. Some glue Rockwell axles under Toyota's.

To each their own, anyone doing a SAS has their own reason choosing parts and setup. That's what makes project builds interesting.
I'm not one to be 100% brand loyal, I like the Frankenstein approach.
Over the years hot rod's and rat rod builds really suck me in, I learn a lot from these builders.... the most inspiring out take is, anything is possible.

But that's me.:coffeedrink:

I'm all for hybridization, lol.

My '79 F-150 trail rig runs a built 351w with a GM HEI distributor, Quadrajet, and GM alternator. I'm a die hard Ford guy (and Toyota of course :sombrero:), but I realize when certain parts are superior, regardless of make.

As for a Tacoma SAS, the aftermarket Toyota housings just seem like a better all around fit, not to mention better ground clearance and a drop out third member. I think the D44 has a tighter turning radius with the open knuckles however. I guess the biggest drawback to the aftermarket setups is the cost. The Toyota third/housing with Dana knuckles and outers might make an interesting combo though.

Adventurer
Thanks, at least it was basically an even swap for the '97 4runner I just purchased. After having it a couple weeks the 4runner actually fits my needs better than the Tacoma did, so in the end it worked out pretty good.

I'm all for hybridization, lol.

My '79 F-150 trail rig runs a built 351w with a GM HEI distributor, Quadrajet, and GM alternator. I'm a die hard Ford guy (and Toyota of course :sombrero:), but I realize when certain parts are superior, regardless of make.

As for a Tacoma SAS, the aftermarket Toyota housings just seem like a better all around fit, not to mention better ground clearance and a drop out third member. I think the D44 has a tighter turning radius with the open knuckles however. I guess the biggest drawback to the aftermarket setups is the cost. The Toyota third/housing with Dana knuckles and outers might make an interesting combo though.

Funny you mentioned the hybrid axle. I've seen a build with the toy third, and Chevy / Waggy knuckles on a hybrid axle.... I think it was a Diamond.
It required custom inner axle shafts. Truggy build if memory serves... or maybe it was a dream I had.
Anyway
I agree the Toy third is the way to go, vs. a d44. a d44 diff can be a real PITA to set up with those pesky carrier shims... I tried reinstalling the original R/P and carrier for ****s and giggles to see if I could do it.. Long story short, I'll leave that to the pro's. I'm sticking an ARB in there anyway, I'm not about to bugger that up.

jim65wagon

- at least Vince was kind enough to put a welding blanket over my shoulders. But I know you understand.

The good news is I get to spend more quality time with the spouse... :coffee:

So Lance has two stools and a welding blanket for two sitting at his shop next to your truck?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
So Lance has two stools and a welding blanket for two sitting at his shop next to your truck?

You know my wife doesn't go in my truck... are you like, asking me out? NTTAWWT... :confused:

I mean, I think your truck is hot, too... :eek:

Oh -- my spring hangers are in! Now, if one of the shop bays get open...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman