Pause overland trailer

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I can remember when my wife and I bought our first Jamboree Motorhome. We were in our 20's, I was a Tech working at a Jag dealer, she was in accounting, we had bought our first home 2 years prior, and did not make much money. Money was super tight, put in a lot of hours, but it was the best purchase ever, had a blast. Yes, we were broke, but so what, live life. Debt teaches a lot.

Hey FordGuy1 this is off topic. Any advice on extension mirrors for a 2016 Ford Transit XLT?. My trailer had an 80" wide box with 12 " wide tires and fenders sticking out on each side. With the some what big mirror s on transit do I need extending mirror s?

FordGuy1

Adventurer

Wow thanks for this. I have always been told there are no electronic mirrors for transit. So mine are manual

Treefarmer

This is getting interesting now. So the first Palomino Pause model(s) are supposedly rolling of the assembly line and will be delivered to dealers shortly. According to an Aftermarket Sales rep at MorRyde that I've been trying to get some information out of:
"We do not currently have the IS/airbag system as an offering. It is still in the prototype phase."
So that, in theory, is why I can't get any specs on it, even though I'm a potential customer and Palomino claims it's on their new trailer.

Treefarmer

At least that 1,600 lbs is better than the Ember's pathetic 1,300 lbs. But I still like to see a CCC in the 2,500-3,000lb range for the large four wheel trailers and their big water tanks. It looks like the CruiseMaster ATX will remain (for now) the heavyweight champ of the independent airbag suspension world with a GVWR of 9,920lbs.

So this beast has 136 gallons of fresh, gray and black tanks. So one could feasible leave on a long trip with appropriately 76 gals of fresh water. Then after 60 gallons of fresh gets used fills the black and or gray tanks. So it's possible one could have 100 plus gallons which eats up nearly 900 pounds of the 1,600 ccc.

I think Half ton trucks are out with this one.

Reactions: TGK

Treefarmer

I think a newer F150 with all of the max tow features is rated up to 14,000lbs conventional towing and a payload capacity up to 3,000lbs, but not many people configure their trucks that way. An F150 Raptor certainly couldn't do it. I could see people easily loading up the trailer above it's GVWR. Then you risk failures on that fancy new MorRyde suspension, especially under off road conditions.

TGK

I think a newer F150 with all of the max tow features is rated up to 14,000lbs conventional towing and a payload capacity up to 3,000lbs, but not many people configure their trucks that way. An F150 Raptor certainly couldn't do it. I could see people easily loading up the trailer above it's GVWR. Then you risk failures on that fancy new MorRyde suspension, especially under off road conditions.
It's my understanding that to get close to a 3,000lb payload in an F150 one has to choose the "Payload Package" and (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) it's only available in the bottom tier XL model. They also restrict the other optional goodies/packages you can tack onto the order. One has to step up to the XLT trim or higher to get many features. I've owned a 2017 F150 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 for 5+ years (1,761# payload) but priced out a factory order 2021 SuperCab with the Payload Pkg, as I was toying with getting a light weight truck camper. I dealt with the commercial sales guy at one of the local dealers, as he knew what he was talking about. At least for the 2021 models, I was basically out of luck as far as adding in some features I desired. I was poking around on the Ford truck build website the other day and this still seems to be the case. I've been extremely happy with my F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. At times I tow a 23ft "vintage" Airstream with it with a gross weight of 5,200 lbs. If I load the trailer up with fluids, food and gear and the truck bed with some bikes, firewood, generator and extra water if boon docking, I've frequently hit the max payload of the truck. This includes the wife and an 80# dog.

DFNDER

Will any of you guys really pull something that big up anything more than a fairly well maintained forest road? I know I sure wouldn’t have the guts. Even if I didn’t mind wrecking $100K plus worth of trailer, id find it terrifying and more stressful than it’s worth. I certainly wouldn’t ever try and haul anything that big on the beach after getting stuck just pulling my little square drop. Amazed at the idea of going anywhere difficult in one of these things.

TGK

Will any of you guys really pull something that big up anything more than a fairly well maintained forest road? I know I sure wouldn’t have the guts. Even if I didn’t mind wrecking $100K plus worth of trailer, id find it terrifying and more stressful than it’s worth. I certainly wouldn’t ever try and haul anything that big on the beach after getting stuck just pulling my little square drop. Amazed at the idea of going anywhere difficult in one of these things.
I don't have any interest whatsoever in a trailer with a dry weight of 7,000+ lbs. Granted, I'm not full timing, but even aside from that. Too ample for my needs. My interests are for something that won't self destruct on NFS & BLM roads including the primary unpaved but relatively maintained ones as well as their offshoots but not "jeep" trails". Also don't need a huge portion of what they are loading them up with, which only serves to drive up the weight and cost.

Treefarmer

For those of us after the larger, four wheel off road trailers, the objective is usually to just be able to get past those last few difficult arroyos and washed out spots that would stop just about everyone else so we can boondock for extended periods of time in quiet, private spots. As a fulltimer, that's your primary goal, not rock crawling or overlanding like most of the folks here like to do on vacations and weekends.

Treefarmer

I don't have any interest whatsoever in a trailer with a dry weight of 7,000+ lbs. Granted, I'm not full timing, but even aside from that. Too ample for my needs. My interests are for something that won't self destruct on NFS & BLM roads including the primary unpaved but relatively maintained ones as well as their offshoots but not "jeep" trails". Also don't need a huge portion of what they are loading them up with, which only serves to drive up the weight and cost.
You are definitely in the sweet spot of the off road market with many quality trailers to choose from. It's the bigger stuff that's hard to find.

TGK

You are definitely in the sweet spot of the off road market with many quality trailers to choose from. It's the bigger stuff that's hard to find.
I've yet to find anything that motivates me to shell out the $$'s they are asking now days. Quality generally sucks. A replacement for the trailer I currently have needs to be put together better than most of what is out there. My interests include a moderate to smaller sized trailer one can stand up in with inside cooking capability, internal shower, cassette toilet is adequate, queen width bed, internal storage for clothes and misc. It does not need to look like a house inside. Also, prefer propane heat, cooking and refrigeration vs having to rely on expensive lithium batteries & solar when off grid. The propane has served me well over the past 25 years. I do own a portable 140w solar panel that I've used with our current RV. However, I'm not trying to power all the appliances with it. Of course, electric is the way the RV industry is moving. As for weight 5,000 - 6,000 gross max, lighter is better. I've seen both the Escape and the Olivers up close more than once. While an improvement over most of what is out there, neither excites me due to cost/layout and, for the Oliver, cost. So far, one of the only ones that has caught my interest (that I discovered via this forum) is the Kingdom Camping Trailer. However, given that they are located in Indiana, I've not been excited to take a 2,000+ mile trip to see one. Won't purchase sight unseen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven