Pause overland trailer

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

You said " we got a Pause in recently" that certainly implies that it's new to you so this must not be the tester unit. My apologies if that's the case.

I took a look at the Pause website warranty link. Maybe I am wrong but it looks like it is the same warranty as any Forest River warranty which is one year for original owner only. Nothing more then one year on chassis as well. I will say it seems like Pause is taking care of folks on these first 2 dozens of units on the market. That said 1 year on a chassis of a radically unique new design is very Elkhartie.

The Forest River, Inc. (“Forest River”) Limited Warranty covers this recreational vehicle (“RV”) for a period of
one (1) year from the date of purchase of the RV by the first retail purchaser when purchased from an
independently owned and authorized Forest River dealer. This Limited Warranty only applies to the first retail
purchaser of the RV. This Limited Warranty does not cover those items identified in the “Exclusions From
Coverage” section of this Limited Warranty.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You said " we got a Pause in recently" that certainly implies that it's new to you so this must not be the tester unit. My apologies if that's the case.

I took a look at the Pause website warranty link. Maybe I am wrong but it looks like it is the same warranty as any Forest River warranty which is one year for original owner only. Nothing more then one year on chassis as well. I will say it seems like Pause is taking care of folks on these first 2 dozens of units on the market. That said 1 year on a chassis of a radically unique new design is very Elkhartie.

The Forest River, Inc. (“Forest River”) Limited Warranty covers this recreational vehicle (“RV”) for a period of
one (1) year from the date of purchase of the RV by the first retail purchaser when purchased from an
independently owned and authorized Forest River dealer. This Limited Warranty only applies to the first retail
purchaser of the RV. This Limited Warranty does not cover those items identified in the “Exclusions From
Coverage” section of this Limited Warranty.

And from my experience with American made mass-market RV companies, the warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on. I've been cross-country on a trip, had an issue (plumbing leaks), called the manufacturer (Winnebago) in my case. I was told that I would have to wait 3 weeks for service, so I could drop it off at a dealer and pick it up in 4 weeks. That would mean ending my trip, driving home across the country, then driving it back up to pick it up a month later.

No thanks.
I just tore it apart in the campground and fixed it myself. It just ended up being a really minor issue. The dumdum just didn't tighten the plumbing fittings properly. All of them. And this turned out to be a very common problem (one of several) with the Winnebago Micro Mini "fauxverland" (as I call them) trailers. That worst is a significant number of slides failing and ripping out of the walls completely. But luckily I bought one without a slide. (well, not luck, I knew better)

I know warranties are anomaly and some say are not worth the paper they are printed on. I have read ( not sure if it's true) that Pause is a bit vague on providing warranty until after the sale and it's the same one year Polimino warranty. I have also heard Pause is bending over backwards taking care of thier customers. In my mind having a 5 year warranty on the chassis and suspension is very important. I see Morrryde offers 5 years on most of thier products but not finding that this is the case with Pause on chassis or suspension.

Anyone know if the Pause chassis is only one year?

Raspy

I recently ordered a new Pause 19.4. Very excited and will pick it up in about two weeks at that factory. I have no interest in debating the advertised length of the warrantee and here is why: Pause is entering the market with a new product line that is not the same as the typical Palomino sticky trailers. They are not tied to that mentality at all. They are interested in building the very best they can for the money and they are already proving how responsive they are for any warranty issues. The trailers receive repeated inspections during the build and are made very well. Warranty issues could come in two categories, poor workmanship and defective parts. Poor workmanship on Pause or Reboot is not an issue. Defective parts are something they want to know about and if there is a problem, they will take care of it.

We are entering new era now and American made trailers are going to be very competitive in the US. 1. Because American manufacturers want to be the biggest and best. 2. because the quality is there. The Chinese manufacturers have some built in problems that are not being addressed and Palomino, for instance, has huge experience and huge buying power. They are now entering the off-road market and are doing it correctly, with the right attitude.

Palomino also has much more stability, resources and manpower than Imperial Outdoors, for instance. So, the IO X145, X195, and Roamer 1 trailers are fighting an uphill battle they cannot win. Imperial Outdoors is an American company, but essentially a one man show with limited resources. This means he controls everything, designs everything and makes all the warranty decisions. No matter how good his intentions are, he cannot affectively compete or keep up with warranty problems. That is already becoming very clear. I own a Roamer 1 and have had it for only 1.5 years. It is going away as part of this deal for a new Reboot 19.4.

A written warranty is important, but proper design, good manufacturing techniques, financial stability, and good intentions are far more important. Poor companies will look for ways to refuse written warranties. Good companies are interested in taking care of customers.

Great points and it sure seems like Pause has done a great job backing their new trailers. Just kind of baffeled they couldn't just apply a three year warranty on the chassis, suspension and hitch but certainly understand you not wanting to get in an agreement about it. One thing I wonder about is how many different models they keep come out with. Maybe that will decrease as they figure everything out. Congrats on your new Pause.

Raspy

I can't remember what the actual warranty says, and I could not find it with a quick look. But I will be meeting with Maynard who is developing the new Pause and Reboot models, so I will have a chance to find out. They are developing a lot of models and I think they will settle on the most popular ones. Pause is different than Reboot in that Pause comes fully equipped, has aluminum cabinets and its own floor plans. Bigger and a different frame design. and generally more expensive. Reboots are more made to order with their options, have wood cabinets and the wheels don't stick out way beyond the sides. This means the main frame rails are inside of the wheels, but the body sits on a separate frame rail mounted to the main rail, except where the wheels are. It make a kind of wheel well arrangement. the reboot bodies are 6" wider to make the interior more spacious. Part of that was driven by the deep fridge that reduced the size of the dinette and caused a narrow bathroom door. Also, the Reboots have an aluminum skeleton sidewall and roof frame. The Pause is a different material with one piece sides and roof. No wood is used in the floors, walls or roof on either the pause or the Reboot. The Reboot uses an interior and exterior layer of fiberglass, then a layer of Azdel, then the aluminum skeleton with insulation between the studs and a layer between the studs and the outer Azdell to reduce thermal bridging. The roof is also ac=rched to prevent puddling and the solar is raised. for air flow

The Reboot walls are better than the Imperial X195/Roamer 1 walls, which only have a thin fiberglass layer on each side over a foam core. There have been a lot of blistering in the Xplores. The explore frames are also a problem. They are advertised as 1/4" closed tube steel, but are actually only 11 gauge (.123) thick. They flex too much and my friends R1 frame has broken in two places. Mine flexed so much the storage box hit and damaged the main body. Investigating the causes of this revealed the truss structure is not supporting the frame at its area of maximum stress and the welding is inferior. Neither Imperial or the frame manufacture is willing to stand behind it. The important points here ae that Imperial is basically a one man show, and Pause is a huge corporation. pause is entering this particular market and doing their absolute best. They want to know about any problems and will take care of it. Imperial is overworked, has limited resources, in denial and likely weak financially. It makes no difference what is written on a piece of paper regarding the warranty. My method is to look a little deeper and discover the reasons for, and likelihood of failure points. After actually having a Roamer 1, I have found a large number of points and am moving on. I'm not interested in arguing about the warranty, I see the writing on the wall and am going to bail out.

To me the quality of the Company is very important. I won't support companies that are dishonest or can't do the work properly. This is partly why I have had so many trailers. It's part of the reason. Black Series and Imperial are both companies that have their problems. Different problems, yes, but problems. After a lot of work, I got my Black Series up to where it is a reliable and useful trailer that will last a long time, I sold it to some friends and they love it. The Roamer 1 has some problems it should never have had, that I fixed. But the threat of a blistering body and a poorly made frame that is falsely advertised as something it is not, goes beyond just fixing a few problems. I will have a trailer, but I don't want another one made overseas by unscrupulous manufacturers like Black Series or OBI. Enter Pause. I'm sure, if I look hard enough, I can find something I don't like, but that is not the point. Carefully and thoughtfully made in the US with good intentions while not being in a hurry. An eagerness to do good work and stand behind it. Plenty of money backing the development. A team of people instead of one man. And a factory in the US that welcomes visitors. Those are the unwritten warranty points I like.

Wow great information on IO. I feel your frustration. Really suprised about thier chassis as I thought that the MS Trailer chassis was one of the strong points of the Xplores. Shows you what I know 😉

Leading up to when ROA first realesed the new Xplores they kind of implied it was some sort of partnership with IO. It seemed like the costs totally caught ROA off guard. IO treated ROA like any other dealer. That was the writing on the wall in my opinion.

In regard to the chassis flex issue my guess is because these trailers are marketed and designed to be driven aggressively in off road situations. Have lots of travel and are quite heavy the chassis need to be over engineered to handel the stress. Hopefully MorRyde has done this. Curious to that step down designed on the front of the MorRyde chassis. Does that help stiffen the flex?

Raspy

I don't know if the step-down helps with stiffness. But it does get the tongue down closer to the receiver height of the truck. It's not just the frame design that lends stiffness, but the wall panels glued and screwed to the frame rails helps too. I suppose stiffness is really most important with respect to the walls and interior. In the Roamer 1/X195 the lack of stiffness in the frame, or the over stiff design of the wall panels, one or both, cause a lot of separation inside, where pieces are simply siliconed in place. Kitchen counters, shower walls and the rear section of the trailers that are pushed into extrusions, all separate from expansion/contraction and/or flexing while driving. The X22s seem to work better with their aluminum skeletons that were bolted to the frame and to each other.

Isaac at Imperial designed the X195/Roamer 1 and seriously missed the obvious in a number of ways. His collaboration with ROA was done with good intentions, but went south over time. And now, IO seems to be in trouble. Their sales are way down and I'v been told the X145 is going out of production. I've been encouraging ROA to work with Pause for at least a year and a half, and now that is happening.

The Reboots are just better trailers. Fiberglass shower stalls, solid surface counters, Victron equipment, ˇTruma AC, better wall structures inside and out that contain no wood, better solar mounting systems, more suspension travel, bigger air tanks, etc. No thermal bridging or expansion problems from the corner extrusions, consistent and careful build quality. All from a company with far more resources than IO.

You can go over to the Facebook group "Pause Reboot trailer Community" and join the conversation , if you'd like. I started that group last week and it will be a very useful tool over time. The group, "Xplore trailer Community" is also useful and all about the Xplore trailers.

catalyzer

@Raspy thanks for taking time to share you experiences with the Pause/Reboot and the IO x195/R1. We're considering both manufacturers for full-timer, overlanding across 48 states. If you can, would love a pluses and minuses for our decision making.

Note we're thinking either the x195 [king bed] vs the Pause 20.3. Its 2 humans + 4 small dogs

I don't know if the step-down helps with stiffness. But it does get the tongue down closer to the receiver height of the truck. It's not just the frame design that lends stiffness, but the wall panels glued and screwed to the frame rails helps too. I suppose stiffness is really most important with respect to the walls and interior. In the Roamer 1/X195 the lack of stiffness in the frame, or the over stiff design of the wall panels, one or both, cause a lot of separation inside, where pieces are simply siliconed in place. Kitchen counters, shower walls and the rear section of the trailers that are pushed into extrusions, all separate from expansion/contraction and/or flexing while driving. The X22s seem to work better with their aluminum skeletons that were bolted to the frame and to each other.

Isaac at Imperial designed the X195/Roamer 1 and seriously missed the obvious in a number of ways. His collaboration with ROA was done with good intentions, but went south over time. And now, IO seems to be in trouble. Their sales are way down and I'v been told the X145 is going out of production. I've been encouraging ROA to work with Pause for at least a year and a half, and now that is happening.

The Reboots are just better trailers. Fiberglass shower stalls, solid surface counters, Victron equipment, ˇTruma AC, better wall structures inside and out that contain no wood, better solar mounting systems, more suspension travel, bigger air tanks, etc. No thermal bridging or expansion problems from the corner extrusions, consistent and careful build quality. All from a company with far more resources than IO.

You can go over to the Facebook group "Pause Reboot trailer Community" and join the conversation , if you'd like. I started that group last week and it will be a very useful tool over time. The group, "Xplore trailer Community" is also useful and all about the Xplore trailers.

Interesting and thanks for the explanation. I know on my goofy little trailer I noticed some flex when it was lifted with a forklift. I attributed it to a fairly long tounge and the Aluminum chassis. It caused me to drive even slower on any drop offs or dips. Also to be mindfull to be gentle lifting or leveling trailer with stab jacks.

Raspy

@Raspy thanks for taking time to share you experiences with the Pause/Reboot and the IO x195/R1. We're considering both manufacturers for full-timer, overlanding across 48 states. If you can, would love a pluses and minuses for our decision making.

Note we're thinking either the x195 [king bed] vs the Pause 20.3. Its 2 humans + 4 small dogs
At this point, I would stay away from the X195. IO is in denial and refusing help with repairs on the under-designed frame and interior separation problems. There are a lot of problems with them that should be considered such as interior separation, fridge problems, cabinets that fall down, solar panels that blow off the roof, air compressors that fall off, etc. But they do tow well and they have good suspension. If you insist on a king bed, you'll give up two hanging closets next the bed. Is that a fair trade? I made a platform next to the bed in mine that gives better permanent storage and makes a place for the dogs. We have two with us.

I am not as familiar with the Pause, but it seems like a quality unit from a good manufacturer. I know Maynard who is in charge of the project and I believe in him. The Pause is heavy and the wheels are outside the body, which I don't personally like. Look at the Reboot too, before deciding. It has a slightly wider body, can be built in different interior configurations and is a bit lower price. Possibly better for living aboard.

Consider joining the Facebook group "Pause Reboot trailer Community" to discuss all of this. It is a new groups but will be very useful over time. Als the "Xplore Trailer Community" is active and a very good community all about Xplore.

catalyzer

At this point, I would stay away from the X195. IO is in denial and refusing help with repairs on the under-designed frame and interior separation problems. There are a lot of problems with them that should be considered such as interior separation, fridge problems, cabinets that fall down, solar panels that blow off the roof, air compressors that fall off, etc. But they do tow well and they have good suspension. If you insist on a king bed, you'll give up two hanging closets next the bed. Is that a fair trade? I made a platform next to the bed in mine that gives better permanent storage and makes a place for the dogs. We have two with us.

I am not as familiar with the Pause, but it seems like a quality unit from a good manufacturer. I know Maynard who is in charge of the project and I believe in him. The Pause is heavy and the wheels are outside the body, which I don't personally like. Look at the Reboot too, before deciding. It has a slightly wider body, can be built in different interior configurations and is a bit lower price. Possibly better for living aboard.

Consider joining the Facebook group "Pause Reboot trailer Community" to discuss all of this. It is a new groups but will be very useful over time. Als the "Xplore Trailer Community" is active and a very good community all about Xplore.
@Raspy thanks for the feedback. We will revist our assumptions and decision making. Very valuable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad