Photo Critiqing Thread

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it all a try. Its snowing now, so.... any recomendations for snow pics?

Take photos WHILE it's snowing as well as after. Early morning snow shots are also nice. Here are a couple recent shots of mine.

01.jpg

04.jpg

Bart

ExpoMike

Okay, this is my first post in this thread and I am just starting to get the hang of my new Canon G11 camera. Please be gentle... :) okay how about honest. :D It has been interesting in reading the work posted so far.

No post image work done outside of resizing. No additional compression or cropping done.

Seagull in thought
IMG_0106.jpg

Statue in front of San Diego Admin building
IMG_0118.jpg

Mosaic at the bottom of statue
IMG_0120.jpg

Flower, I know it is centered and shouldn't be but the area to the side was kind of crappy looking.
IMG_0131.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it all a try. Its snowing now, so.... any recomendations for snow pics?

The light meter in your camerea, when allowed to control your exposure, will try to make the image mid-tone (medium grey, red, blue, etc). Snow is white, and shades of white. In the shade, the snow is about medium (light meter reading zero). In the sun, snow is white, with a little detail (+2 in the meter OR +2 exposure compensation).

Figure out what is so interesting about what you are seeing, and simplify the image to just that (for now).

Have fun in the snow. :)

ExpoMike

I know everyone is busy this time of the year so I am bumping this back to the top, to see if I can get some critiquing of my pics. :D

Should have some new ones too, after the Death Valley trip.

Photog

Explorer
I know everyone is busy this time of the year so I am bumping this back to the top, to see if I can get some critiquing of my pics. :D

Should have some new ones too, after the Death Valley trip.

I will get to them during the holiday.:)

Photog

Explorer
Mike,
Sorry for the delay. These are busy months of the year.

Take this critique and suggestions, and apply them to your next set of images. Give yourself an assignment and a subject. They are a starting point. There are many options with each of your images. Thank you for posting them, they are better than the typical snap shot; but they leave room for suggestions. Very useful here.

The basics of this shot are well done. Side lighting on the seagull, gull is on the right third's line and looking into the open part of the image frame. I like the diagonal cable/chain. The image might be improved with the use of a polarizer, cutting reflection on water, and showing more detail in the feathers.
Seagull in thought
IMG_0106.jpg

The composition is good in this shot. It may or may not look better, without the building behind the statue. The cross lighting is a good idea. With this statue, the lighting will be completely dependent on the weather, and solar cycle.
Try this one again and consider her to be posing for you. Place the camera more in front of her face (camera-left in this image), and be there when the sunlight is shining across her chest, and not straight into her chest (good for men, bad for women). This shot is highly dependent on the time of day. Get up higher, if you can (may not be possible). Maybe you could find out how often they scrub the pidgin poo off the statue. The poo does not make her look good.
Statue in front of San Diego Admin building
IMG_0118.jpg

This seems a bit flat in contrast and texture. If you have photo editing software, try boosting the contrast. Not much to do with this image, unless you want to narrow down the subject, and use more dramatic lighting.
Mosaic at the bottom of statue
IMG_0120.jpg

You are right. It is centered, and that usually does not look as good as it can. That applies here also.
Zoom in a little, step further to the left, and place the flower in the frame (left side), so that it is looking across to the other side of the frame.
Flower, I know it is centered and shouldn't be but the area to the side was kind of crappy looking.
IMG_0131.jpg

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Thanks Brian for the info. I really appreciate the efforts you go to, to help others learn. Since these were taken, I got my Lensmate adapters and picked up a teleconveter locally off Craigslist. Next on my list is a Kenko Pro1 Digital Circular Polarizer. I did get a UV filter prior to our Death Valley trip and I can definitely see the difference in reduced glare in the bright sun.

I have a good friend, who is a pro photographer, that is coming out later this month and we are going to do a shoot day, so he can show me some of the ropes. I am sure that will help.

Here are a few from our Death Valley trip, more artistic ones, versus the documenting style ones.

IMG_0212.jpg

I was trying long exposure and different settings. I think this was at a ISO 400 on the G11
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Sami,

I like the image in the cabin.

It looks like you are getting some pretty heavy vignetting in some of the shots. Are you stacking filters or using a non-standard lens hood?

sami

Explorer
Hey thanks.. It's the hood that i'm using.. If i'm zoomed out you can see where the hood ring attaches to the threads on the end of the lens..

johnson4x4

Observer
So, I tried out some of the techniques stated before, I think? These are just a few from the last snow on Table Mtn. in Ellensburg. I ordered the Polarizer you recomended, but havent recieved it yet. Remember these are all unedited, and shot with a non SLR camera. What do you think?

Any recomendations for taking pictures of the moon? It looked amazing last night, but I couldnt seem to get a good shot.

The XJ in its happy place.
l_0b6945c9dcd4433c8677a1998fc8e3d9.jpg

I thought this tree looked cool, but just couldn't capture it.
l_d992b36b3d0245c28f8573ff82b336e5.jpg

A snow drift on the drive home.
l_de31d40c1c7f44e691b89fd7b479b08a.jpg

ExpoMike

Hey Brian, whatever works for you.

For me, I would like the critique on the palm tree one.

Thanks!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater