Pics of your VAN! Post up!

illking

Observer
Hi there, First time posting here at EP. Heres my 76 G30 Ive had it for about a year and a half. We've been on a bunch of small camp trips around southern california. Gearing up for a trip to Chicago and back in August. Heres a Link to my van blog also http://www.thevanpires.com/
GOPR2018.jpg

photo%205.JPG

water.jpg

dirtwiz_vehicles_006.jpeg

mwendell

1987 VW Syncro/Subaru

This is the Subaru EJ22-powered 1987 Volkswagen Syncro I bought in 2006. The previous owner had a ton of work done to it, so I really haven't had to do much at all. It was completely rust free when I bought it, but since taking it from its home in Colorado to the salty Mid-Atlantic, it's developed some mild seam rust. Currently I'm in the process of removing the entire interior to deal with it before it becomes a real problem.

The one thing that's missing (beyond a real bathroom) is air conditioning. Because the PO lived above 10k feet in CO, he didn't feel the need to get the AC running when he did the Subaru swap. I really, really need to address that.

sw06-010.jpg

sw06-072.jpg

sw06-147.jpg

I've had it out west twice in 2006, and to Burning Man, but since then it's mostly been used for "local" trips. I'm jealous of all you West Coast folks and all of your grand National Parks and BLM lands (let alone your weather).

m.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Sweet rig, JT. Love the Off-Road Trek.

Do you have a link to a video of your rig's interior?

@ illking; great old G30. one of my favorite platforms. Not too much long than an Astro but nicely wider. Is that an XR? Are you on ThumperTalk or ADVrider?

@ MWendell. The Suby Westy package seems like a good option. Wish i had some Westy bro's to midsize around the Washington mountains with, but all I got are Sportsmobile and LandRover buds.:sombrero:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Hey jatorresrv I like your video. You came close to home when you visited ER you should swung up through rocky mountain national park and said hi!!

illking

Observer
T.Low Thanks. Im on ADV but not very active. The bike is actually a 09 klx250x the red throws averyone off haha.

zchan88

Observer
It's not a sportsmobile, but it's not $80K either.

Not being able to afford a Sportsmobile, or even a synchro, I opted for the more affordable astro van. Below is a list of the mods:
  • 4" Suspension Lift - Kit purchased from overlandvans.com
  • 265/70/16 BF Goodrich tires
  • 7 Gal Water Resevoir
  • Engel Fridge
  • Aux Battery
  • ARB Awning w/ mosquito net
  • Zombie proofing - Partition from Cargo van installed and expanded steel welded to the frame over each window in the rear.
  • Upgraded sound system (ok, this one was just for me)
  • 1000 W inverter
  • New floor (1/2" ply wood with industrial floor mat) http://www.industrialladder.com/productDetails.do?productID=6510&categoryID=613)
  • 48"x75" Mattress raisable mattress
  • Roof rack (this was a stock rack taken from a junk yard)
  • 20 lb propane tank
  • Custom kitchen on castors. Space for 40,000 BTU camping stove and cutting board, along with storage space for kitchen supplies.
  • Custom cabinetry made for aux battery, tools, shoes and misc.
P1030538-1.jpg

DSC_0310-1.jpg

DSC_0305-1.jpg

P1040033.jpg

P1040015.jpg

P1030985-1.jpg

[video]http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/zchan88/?action=view&current=P1040024-1.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

zchan88

Observer
Very nice! Why did you feel the need to cage the back? Traveling to risky countries?

That's exactly why we caged the back. Driving south of the border. However, the cage has proven to be a great way to increase storage space. A couple of bungie cords and S hooks allow us to hang stuff up everywhere.

P1030995.jpg

P1030986-1.jpg

P1040018640x480.jpg

P1030996.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater