Pics of your VAN! Post up!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
T. Low - Nice Astro van. They were built here in MD at GM's plant, always liked them, surprised they didn't do better in sales. Always nice to see GM stuff here.

To fix your photo links - click edit and remove the extra "http://" on each photo link and they should post up over here just fine.

Nice ride!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
T.Low said:
Love all the vans; the VDubs, the cool Yotavans and Delicas, the old heavies, the Vanaconda, and of course the SMBs.

However, I went a little different direction.

Decided to get a midsize van. in February I brought home an '03 AWD Astro w/ 50k miles.

Lifted it with an Overlandvans 4-5" kit. Rancho 9000s adjustable shocks with indash remote and onboard aircompressor. Relocated shock tabs from under axle to behind axle for increased ground clearence.

Went from 27" stockers to 30.5" All Terrains, 4:10 gears w/ Eaton posi in rear.

Installed NP233c 2spd electronic shift transfer case from donor S10 Blazer.

GTRV pop top conversion w/ sleeper bunk.

Thule awning.

Other assorted goodies. Bumpers, straight axle swap, exterior shower, and interior are this winters projects.

Its been working very well for us. And its paid for.

Very cool! Do you have anymore info on the Thule awning? How do you like it?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the props, guys, and the editing tips.

I kinda wish GM would have built a ZR2 version of the Astro, but on the other hand, it's been a fun build and bit rare.

Thule sourced the awning from Carefree. Its the same as the Carefree Sidewinder. Its a love/hate relationship. I feel that deploying the awning should be a one man job, so i struggle with it until it bites my hand or scratches the van. Its an oldie I got second hand from a white water paddlin buddy who was selling his Vanagon. I think the newer models are a little more user friendly. Love having it up, especially in the rain. And some places like in eastern Oregon or eastern Washington it can be the only shady spot around. Got to guide wire it down with stakes on the windy days, for sure, or just take it down altogether. Overall, I really like having it. I think its essential.

Edit: I've met some people that really regret buying the awning for the above stated "hate" reasons, so there should be some used ones out there. Maybe you can try these forums.
http://www.classbcampervans.com/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/gtrvwesty/messages

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah i just noticed a major drawback with that awning.. it mounts to the thule or yakima bars. Well, if i mounted that to our penthouse top, the awning would be about 20 feet tall LOL

Anyways, back on topic guys, lets see your pics!!!! Sorry for getting sidetracked!!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Yeah i just noticed a major drawback with that awning.. it mounts to the thule or yakima bars. Well, if i mounted that to our penthouse top, the awning would be about 20 feet tall LOL

Anyways, back on topic guys, lets see your pics!!!! Sorry for getting sidetracked!!

Au Contraire, mon ami. Before, I had it mounted to my Thule racks. Since I installed the top, its now mounted to the van itself, so I can utilize the awning while the top is popped. (see above picture camping by the creek).

Yeah, I agree, it would darn near be useless if it popped along with the top.

FROADER

Adventurer
T.Low -

This is pretty random and shows what a small world it is.

I thought I recognized Paul's truck (blue explorer sport in your pic). I met him in Moab 8 years ago from a meet that explorerforum.com put together. It 's been a while since I've seen him or his truck so I had to ask if it was him. He has repainted (same color) and put new wheels and tires on it since I've seen it. :cool:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thats too funny. Yeah, small community. Yeah, Froader, it was Paul alright. I told him I'd be following him a lot on that trip because i really like the way his rig looks. Ha. He's a blast. When we'd go thru the creeks, he likes to stop and back up and kinda rinse his under carriage like he's a dog or something.

Come to think of it, Railbat Brian (SMB) and I were introduced by Craig (Land Rover) on Expo and it ends up that Brian and I live four streets away from each other in the same neighborhood!

Sign of the times...

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
I sold it last year and miss it every day.
1986 Chevy Pathfinder.

2041324939_aab425e9e9.jpg

2841025827_d8619ece08.jpg

2841861480_4bc4c87f1f.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Don't see many of those long Con-Ferr racks anymore! It's funny how many guys regret selling their 4wd vans!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach